7141 replies to this topic

#5861 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,560 posts

Posted 15 September 2018 - 12:55 PM

Nope.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#5862 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 15 September 2018 - 01:15 PM

In the UK this type of incident is classified as criminal behavior and can carry lengthy prison sentences

https://www.rac.co.u...iving-offences/

Dangerous driving is more serious than careless driving, and is classed as driving which “falls far below what would be expected of a competent and careful driving, and it would be obvious to a competent and careful driver that driving in that way would be dangerous.”

It can include driving aggressively, overtaking in dangerous locations and racing other vehicles.

Dangerous driving offences will be dealt with by the Magistrates’ Court or Crown Court, depending on the seriousness.

If found guilty, you could be hit with an unlimited fine, a driving ban and up to 14 years in prison.

We need a bit more like this and less focus on the nanny state stuff

• Mike K. and lanforod like this

#5863 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 53,054 posts

Posted 15 September 2018 - 01:29 PM

it’s hard to prove that’s half the issue. eye witnesses on the street can not observe well*. eye witnesses among the accused either in their car or racing them of course are unreliable.

*its easy to witness a bank robber but harder to tell if a guy was going 50 or 80. multiple witnesses with different versions also complicate.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 15 September 2018 - 01:32 PM.

• rjag likes this

#5864 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 15 September 2018 - 01:37 PM

it’s hard to prove that’s half the issue. eye witnesses on the street can not observe well*. eye witnesses among the accused either in their car or racing them of course are unreliable.

*its easy to witness a bank robber but harder to tell if a guy was going 50 or 80. multiple witnesses with different versions also complicate.

Thats why they have accident reconstruction experts to look at all the info and recreate what happened. When you see vehicles crushed and flipped over like that you know they werent going 60 in a 50 zone ;-)

#5865 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,047 posts

Posted 15 September 2018 - 07:52 PM

Can’t the cars computer tell you exactly how fast they were going?

Matt.

#5866 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 26 September 2018 - 07:48 AM

VV facebook again falsely claiming someone died in an MVI when they didn't.

• shoeflack likes this

#5867 shoeflack

shoeflack
  • 2,861 posts

Posted 26 September 2018 - 08:04 AM

Worth noting that the VV Facebook post went up at 8:39 am. VicPD has originally announced the accident involved a fatality, but corrected that statement at 7:00 am. 1 hr and 39 minutes to see that fixed statement. So disappointing to see careless reporting like this again. 

If you don’t know, don’t run a major headline story. If the man has neither been fired or resigned, don’t run stories saying he’s about to “x.” Maybe wait for it to happen? Or not happen at all?

• weirdie and nagel like this

#5868 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 26 September 2018 - 08:19 AM

Just so you know, CFAX reported the death first.
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#5869 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 26 September 2018 - 08:33 AM

Was it a crotch-rocket?

#5870 Cassidy

Cassidy
  • Banned
  • 2,501 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 26 September 2018 - 08:55 AM

Well, the VicPD said the guy was dead.

So VicPD were wrong ... and VV was doing the job of reporting the news as best a internet web forum can report the news given the sources available.

Generally, when VicPD says a guy "is deceased" ... the guy is indeed deceased.

In this case he wasn't deceased ... and the error is all on VicPD.

#5871 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 26 September 2018 - 08:56 AM

Just so you know, CFAX reported the death first.

The point is, which Shoeflack actually pointed out, not me, is it had long been corrected by the time VV posted it as a death.

And the new point is that each actual news agency that actually reported it as fatal has since done a full correction post but on VV's facebook this is still a fatal incident.

#5872 Cassidy

Cassidy
  • Banned
  • 2,501 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 26 September 2018 - 08:58 AM

......but on VV's facebook this is still a fatal incident.

Maybe Mike has other commitments, and doesn't monitor Facebook once every 10 minutes?

Maybe ... if folks want solid news, with a guarantee of no mistakes (EVER!) ... they should seek it elsewhere than Facebook, or a friendly, casual online forum!

• Mike K. and rjag like this

#5873 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 26 September 2018 - 09:00 AM

Maybe Mike has other commitments, and doesn't monitor Facebook once every 10 minutes?

Maybe ... if folks want solid news, with a guarantee of no mistakes (EVER!) ... they should seek it elsewhere than Facebook, or a friendly, casual online forum!

Truly, but then don't purport to be a "Media/news company" on your Facebook page.

The error was directly pointed out 73 minutes ago.

#5874 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,560 posts

Posted 26 September 2018 - 09:02 AM

If VicPD reports a death, CFAX publishes content indicating there was a death, and I have an early morning commitment that pulls me away from all forms of communication I can't possibly retract a statement that I never knew needed to be retracted.

I get the point shoe's making, but it's a little petty. People acknowledged the update from VicPD within the post itself, so anyone who took the time to look at the post would see the commentary.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#5875 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 26 September 2018 - 09:03 AM

If VicPD reports a death, CFAX publishes content indicating there was a death, and I have an early morning commitment that pulls me away from all forms of communication I can't possibly retract a statement that I never knew needed to be retracted.

I get the point shoe's making, but it's a little petty.

As a macabre positive spin, if you wait long enough to correct it it may end up becoming true anyways.

#5876 Cassidy

Cassidy
  • Banned
  • 2,501 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 26 September 2018 - 09:04 AM

It's my take, that when users of a forum begin trolling for trouble by implying the moderator or owner is doing a shitty job ... it's probably time that user took a break from the forum or the Facebook page associated with the forum.

Besides, the Facebook page has been updated ... a tempest in a tea pot if I've ever seen one.

• sdwright.vic likes this

#5877 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,560 posts

Posted 26 September 2018 - 09:08 AM

Truly, but then don't purport to be a "Media/news company" on your Facebook page.

The error was directly pointed out 73 minutes ago.

Is this not a poignant example of how errant news stories can push an incorrect narrative even after information has been corrected?

Anyways, it's rare for VicPD to make such a mistake. I don't think I've seen it before.

For those of you who have my direct contact information and see something that needs correcting but which has not been corrected, please help me out and send me a message or call me.

• nagel likes this

Know it all.

#5878 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 26 September 2018 - 09:09 AM

I'm not trolling.  There have been 3 fake traffic deaths reported in one year on this forum or associated FB page.  Rob Randall knows of the other two and has gone on about them as well.  I'm just pointing out the downside of fast news provided by essentially one social media savvy person, especially in a day and age when more of us rely on this type of news than old school slow news.

#5879 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 26 September 2018 - 09:10 AM

I doubt we would be making a big deal out of it if it weren't for Mike's mainstream media-bashing over every real or imagined error.

In past cases where there was "confusion" whether there was a traffic fatality or not it's often  because a decision has been made to put the victim on life support. 

• shoeflack likes this

#5880 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 26 September 2018 - 09:13 AM

Yeah that's probabaly what has happened.  They don`t close arterials for 6 hours if someone gets cuts and bruises.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users