The Greater Victoria traffic incident/accident thread

• Please log in to reply
7141 replies to this topic

#7101 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 53,068 posts

Posted 22 March 2024 - 11:48 AM

East Sooke Road has reopened after being closed due to a multi-vehicle incident early Friday.

The Ministry of Transportation’s DriveBC website reported the opening about 10:30 a.m.

Sooke RCMP had advised motorists to avoid the Rocky Point area of East Sooke Road due to what it called a police incident.

DriveBC’s first notice about the incident was posted at 3:45 a.m., saying that East Sooke Road was closed in both directions between Rocky Point and Sutiacum roads — near Matheson Lake Regional Park and Pearson College.

As of 7:45 a.m., the notice said emergency vehicles were on scene and an assessment was in progress.

https://www.timescol...ncident-8494715

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 22 March 2024 - 11:48 AM.

#7102 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,068 posts

Posted 22 March 2024 - 11:49 AM

Multi vehicle incident at 3:45am? Crazy.

#7103 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,047 posts

Posted 22 March 2024 - 11:51 AM

How did the cop not clock the speeder and immediately hit the lights and sirens?
  • Victoria Watcher likes this

#7104 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,560 posts

Posted 22 March 2024 - 12:31 PM

The bomb squad had to be called in.

So it’s more than just a ‘crash.’
  • Nparker and Victoria Watcher like this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#7105 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,068 posts

Posted 22 March 2024 - 01:19 PM

Why can’t people just be normal?

Police say a report of a single-vehicle crash in Beecher Bay led to a pair of arrests and the discovery of an explosive device.

Sooke RCMP officers arrived to East Sooke and Yates roads to find a crashed vehicle and an injured woman believed to be a passenger, but no driver.

Police then learned that there was an explosive device in the area linked to the woman and called the RCMP explosive disposal unit.

No further details about the explosive device were immediately available from RCMP.

Meanwhile, police had also received a report that a security guard had been attacked nearby and a truck was stolen.

https://www.timescol...ncident-8494715

We pay for police for the 1% of nutty individuals in each area.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 22 March 2024 - 01:20 PM.

#7106 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,560 posts

Posted 22 March 2024 - 01:20 PM

A security guard guarding what, exactly?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#7107 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,149 posts

Posted 22 March 2024 - 04:03 PM

^ Sounds like tribal security.

#7108 aastra

aastra
  • 20,763 posts

Posted 22 March 2024 - 05:16 PM

How did the cop not clock the speeder and immediately hit the lights and sirens?

It seems odd. We've all seen police vehicles pounce on trivial traffic infractions, even on cyclists and pedestrians. Maybe he just happened to be looking away at that particular moment. It happened pretty quickly.

#7109 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,560 posts

Posted 22 March 2024 - 07:13 PM

I’m sure that officer’s choices and actions are being scrutinized right now. There is the chance the unit was moving towards a call, even if they didn’t have lights and sirens on.

I wonder if the driver saw the police car and looked back in the mirror or followed the vehicle, further reducing their attention on the intersection. Not that it would have made much difference at the speed the vehicle was travelling.

Know it all.

#7110 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,047 posts

Posted 22 March 2024 - 11:51 PM

It seems odd. We've all seen police vehicles pounce on trivial traffic infractions, even on cyclists and pedestrians. Maybe he just happened to be looking away at that particular moment. It happened pretty quickly.

I assumed the cop was following the car in front of them and was paying attention that way for some reason. How else do you miss an oncoming car doing 120.

#7111 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,068 posts

Posted 23 March 2024 - 12:22 AM

Multi vehicle incident at 3:45am? Crazy.

Oh yes, much more to the story now.

#7112 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,068 posts

Posted 23 March 2024 - 05:23 AM

A martial arts instructor whose truck was T-boned in a Victoria intersection with such force that it broke apart on impact with a city bus, has told friends and colleagues he plans to be back at work within weeks.

David Bruun, 34, was the driver of a pickup truck that was hit in the Douglas and Bay streets intersection by a speeding car that ran a red light about 10:30 p.m. on Wednesday night. He called a friend from hospital the same night to ask him to cover his work shift.

Bruun is an instructor at Van Isle Brazilian Jiu Jitsu, martial arts for kids and adults, at 941 Ellery St. in Esquimalt.

Joe Nunn, a close friend, said it’s just like Bruun to be so responsible and dedicated as to worry about his students and colleagues, even though he’d just experienced a “horrific” incident that could easily have killed him.

“At the time when he called I didn’t know the severity of it,” said Nunn. “He said, ‘I got hit by a bus, can you cover my shift?’”

Bruun didn’t go into much detail; “he didn’t even tell me he was in hospital,” said Nunn.

When Nunn got home Wednesday night, he watched surveillance video circulating of the high-speed impact.

The video shows Bruun’s white pickup travelling east on Bay Street when it was hit and spun backwards across the intersection and into a B.C. Transit bus on Douglas Street — hit with such force the truck cab splintered apart on impact.

The video also showed the car that ran the red light, upon hitting the truck, bursting into flames and resting on the other side of the bus.

Police described the pickup driver’s injuries as “serious and possibly life-altering,” while B.C. Transit said no significant injuries were reported by passengers on the bus.

Insurance Corporation of B.C. statistics show 81 crashes at that intersection from 2018 to 2022.

Nunn contacted his friend again Wednesday night after watching the video.

“I said, ‘Dude, I saw the video!, what the heck?,’ and he was like, ‘Yeah, I’m hard to kill, I’m getting better and I’ll only be in a neck brace for another four days,’” said Nunn.

Nunn doesn’t know if his friend will truly mend that quickly, or what the long-term medical implications and recovery period might be, but apparently Bruun is motivating himself by planning to be back at work within weeks.

Bruun asked Nunn if he could also cover his shifts next week until he could be “back on the mat” or at least teaching from the sidelines.

https://www.timescol...to-work-8498947

A Victoria police vehicle that went through the same intersection just seconds before the crash was quickly on the scene. Crews from the Victoria Fire Department and B.C. Ambulance paramedics also responded.

^  I must cry foul.

screenshot-www.google.com-2024.03.23-09_27_54 copy.jpg

The crash happens at 2 seconds, and THAT police officer takes THAT route (one of the two marked) to get to the scene and gets there in 47 seconds?  If I'm that cop, I'm either doing a u-turn on Douglas (most likely), or I'm going to at least come at the accident on Bay Street, not go a full block south to approach it from Douglas.

If he took the Kings/Blanshard/Queens/Douglas route, that's about 700m.  If he goes the entire distance averaging 40kmh (there are 4 turns) it woud take him at least 63 seconds.  And he rolls up pretty slowly really.  

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 23 March 2024 - 05:44 AM.

#7113 pontcanna

pontcanna
  • 4,438 posts

Posted 23 March 2024 - 06:21 AM

bruun.jpg

David Bruun, 34, was the driver of a pickup truck that was hit in the Douglas and Bay streets intersection by a speeding car that ran a red light about 10:30 p.m. on Wednesday, March 20, 2024.

#7114 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,068 posts

Posted 23 March 2024 - 06:23 AM

Hopefully somebody starts a GoFundMe.

Although he seems on a good path, at least as judged by his attitude.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 23 March 2024 - 06:24 AM.

#7115 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,560 posts

Posted 23 March 2024 - 07:18 AM

We’re sure it was the same police unit?

Know it all.

#7116 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,068 posts

Posted 23 March 2024 - 07:28 AM

We are not.  But the TC story says it was.  Unless there was yet another nearby.  After you go "through an intersection" it's behind you, and you'll need to be sharp to hear/see a creash if you get too far away.

A Victoria police vehicle that went through the same intersection just seconds before the crash was quickly on the scene. Crews from the Victoria Fire Department and B.C. Ambulance paramedics also responded.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 23 March 2024 - 07:29 AM.

#7117 lehman01

lehman01
  • 29 posts

Posted 23 March 2024 - 07:52 AM

That first unit on scene definitely wasn’t the one that passed by moments before impact. However, the second unit on scene is most likely the one as it comes speeding in from that exact direction.
There are so many factors of why the passing Police unit didn’t see anything in regards to speed etc. I don’t believe they have radar/ LiDAR going at all times in the car so if the officer was looking away and missed the speeding vehicle, or at the time of their vehicles passing it didn’t seem to be excessive speeding, then there is nothing to be concerned about in the officers eyes. Clearly he had travelled a ways down Douglas as well given it took him a minute to pull a u turn and arrive on scene. We also have to think about how these units were notified. I’d almost guarantee that the first unit came across the scene as they didn’t arrive with their lights on, and based on the time it takes to call 911, get the file open, hand that off to dispatch, and get it out on the air is at least 2 minutes. That means the first unit on scene probably called it in quicker then 911.

#7118 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,560 posts

Posted 23 March 2024 - 07:54 AM

The press can get a ton of these details absolutely wrong.

Like that five car pile-up on the TCH a week ago. Press said an older driver had had a medical emergency, and caused the crash. Whereas it was a young driver who was staring into his phone, who actually caused the crash.

Know it all.

#7119 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,068 posts

Posted 23 March 2024 - 07:55 AM

That sounds right. He rolled in lights off.

#7120 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,047 posts

Posted 23 March 2024 - 12:15 PM

I assume all cruisers have speed detection and license plate cameras on at all times. Not true?

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users