The Greater Victoria traffic incident/accident thread

• Please log in to reply
7141 replies to this topic

#81 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 09 January 2010 - 06:35 PM

^No, the driver was totally at fault (he might have been drinking). The man injured was the cart driver by the side of the road.
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#82 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 09 January 2010 - 11:29 PM

In response, Mayor Fortin is going to introduce a motion to spend $120,000 to have Our Place open at 7am evey day instead of 9am. I'll support that. I'd also support them spending $1M to move Our Place to Oak Bay.

Opening earlier just increases the time available to jaywalk across Pandora during the morning commute.

Those Travellers Inn's are waiting. That is a better solution than sending them to Oak Bay, as they have plans to close their lodge.

#83 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 09 January 2010 - 11:57 PM

Opening earlier just increases the time available to jaywalk across Pandora during the morning commute.

I think opening earlier will pull people in off the street. I hope.

Here's an interesting true case I read about today. A Philippino man sideswipes a cart and injures another man. He's clearly at fault yet the judge can't imprison him and lets him go. Any guesses what gave this man a free pass? It wasn't because he was a diplomat, politician, crime boss or powerful celebrity.

He was a conjoined twin
. The judge could not find a way to punish the man without punishing his innocent twin. It brings up a grey legal area when it comes to punishing a conjoined twin (could the innocent twin prevent the crime?).
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#84 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 10 January 2010 - 11:11 AM

In response, Mayor Fortin is going to introduce a motion to spend $120,000 to have Our Place open at 7am every day instead of 9am. I'll support that. I'd also support them spending $1M to move Our Place to Oak Bay.

$120,000/365 days = $328.76

Does it really cost $164/hr to run Our Place?

I'm tired of our Mayor throwing our money away.

#85 victorian fan

victorian fan
  • 1,923 posts

Posted 10 January 2010 - 01:24 PM

$120,000/365 days = $328.76

Does it really cost $164/hr to run Our Place?

I'm tired of our Mayor throwing our money away.

Reminds me of Dave Barrett. Here's a million, there's a million.

#86 Baro

Baro
  • 4,317 posts

Posted 10 January 2010 - 02:09 PM

$164/hr almost sounds reasonble to run an operation that size. How many staff does it have? They also provide food no?
"beats greezy have baked donut-dough"

#87 victorian fan

victorian fan
  • 1,923 posts

Posted 20 January 2010 - 04:19 PM

Drunk driver allegedly causes 3-car, 1-bus crash
VICNEWS
http://www.bclocalne...s/82205067.html

A 34-year-old man is in hospital with serious injuries after a car crash Tuesday night at Quadra Street and Hillside Avenue.

The man was recently released on parole and now faces several criminal charges related to the crash. His parole has since been revoked, police say.[...]

#88 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 20 January 2010 - 08:56 PM

BREAKING NEWS: One dead in single-car crash at Interurban and Quayle. CFAX interrupted the hockey game with the news, at 8:55pm, although the accident happended at 6:30pm. :confused:

#89 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,539 posts

Posted 26 January 2010 - 09:30 AM

There was a t-bone accident at Yates and Blanshard this morning sometimes between 7AM and 8AM. It appeared as though one of the two vehicles involved (a ford pickup and a small sedan) ran a red. Traffic traveling west along Yates was redirected north onto Blanshard.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#90 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,508 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 26 January 2010 - 01:18 PM

There was a t-bone accident at Yates and Blanshard this morning sometimes between 7AM and 8AM. It appeared as though one of the two vehicles involved (a ford pickup and a small sedan) ran a red. Traffic traveling west along Yates was redirected north onto Blanshard.

I watched someone run a late yellow yesterday in a Jeep Cherokee, also red. She and her passenger looked pretty pumped up to be speeding up at a yellow light :rolleyes:

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#91 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,539 posts

Posted 26 January 2010 - 01:35 PM

Yesterday afternoon an elderly driver rammed her small SUV through a storefront in the Royal Oak shopping center.

Police described the accident as "low speed." Luckily no pedestrians were in the path of the vehicle. Imagine walking along a storefront when a vehicle suddenly starts moving towards you and pins you to the glass, while the driver is looking in the other direction wondering why the vehicle isn't reversing. Sheesh...

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#92 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 05 February 2010 - 03:02 PM

BREAKING NEWS:

As many as 12 vehicles involved in a chain rear-ender northbound Pat Bay Hwy at Sayward at 2pm.

Sigh.

#93 Baro

Baro
  • 4,317 posts

Posted 05 February 2010 - 03:13 PM

Seriously, why doesn't anyone ever look where they're driving and stay alert?

#94 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 05 February 2010 - 03:17 PM

BREAKING NEWS:

As many as 12 vehicles involved in a chain rear-ender northbound Pat Bay Hwy at Sayward at 2pm.

Sigh.

I don't even understand why all the accidents at this intersection, the design looks normal, yes there is a bit of a hill down when southbound, making it harder to stop, but really for the amount of accidents, I don't get it. I never blame the accident on the intersection design, but I do understand when some have more than others, I see it in the design, but this one, I'm still a bit stumped.

#95 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,508 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 05 February 2010 - 03:34 PM

Seriously, why doesn't anyone ever look where they're driving and stay alert?

All the road safety nannies have been sent to the Olympics and people cannot seem to figure out how to drive un-nannied.

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

#96 Baro

Baro
  • 4,317 posts

Posted 05 February 2010 - 03:36 PM

Road safety nannies? The police?

#97 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,508 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 05 February 2010 - 06:21 PM

BREAKING NEWS:

Sigh.

Hmm.. I was coming through there southbound at about 12:20 from a service call in North Saanich when I saw a few fire trucks and an ambulance fly northbound. I wonder if there was another incident somewhere.

#98 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,508 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 06 February 2010 - 09:25 AM

http://cfax1070.com/...hp?newsId=12292

IMPAIRED DRIVING ARRESTS MADE IN SAANICH FRIDAY NIGHT

What's it going to take for people to stop doing this? Who here is in favor of random breath checks?:rolleyes:

#99 Van

Van
  • 87 posts

Posted 06 February 2010 - 02:12 PM

Accident happend a few minutes ago at Wilson and Catherine, right after I had just walked through. I guess this happens when two cars try to make a wide single lane into a straight and right turn lane...

#100 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,508 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 06 February 2010 - 02:59 PM

Accident happend a few minutes ago at Wilson and Catherine, right after I had just walked through. I guess this happens when two cars try to make a wide single lane into a straight and right turn lane...

At a wide single lane like that where I am at a stop sign and proceeding straight, I will usually position my car so that nobody can squeeze by on the right. Eliminates confusion on right of way, etc...

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users