Photo

[James Bay] The Breakwater | Townhomes| Built - completed in February 2008

• Please log in to reply
58 replies to this topic

#21 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 14 December 2006 - 07:14 PM

Man I really wanna see that JBNEA survey.

#22 Ms. B. Havin

Ms. B. Havin
  • 5,052 posts

Posted 14 December 2006 - 07:55 PM

Re. that wall: wasn't it aastra who posted (ages ago) the link to the City of Victoria Archives [url=http://www.victoria.ca/archives/archives_vct_immigration.shtml:bb40a]movie about the immigration building[/url:bb40a], or was it Holden? Well, whoever: the point is that the building (long gone) and the wall (still there) have real historical meaning, especially in relation to Chinese immigration to Canada and the questions addressed by [url=http://www.nfb.ca/trouverunfilm/fichefilm.php?lg=en&id=51429:bb40a]In the Shadow of Gold Mountain[/url:bb40a], Karen Cho's excellent movie (GungHaggis FatChoy does a review of the film [url=http://www.gunghaggisfatchoy.com/blog/_archives/2004/12/23/213424.html:bb40a]here[/url:bb40a]).

But I totally agree with VHF and some of the others here that the wall now looks just plain pathetic, in relation to those mighty expensive townhouses. It's almost a mockery, really. Almost a million bucks for a TH on what used to be a really important historical site... What a travesty.

Edit/ PS: I just looked at a couple of the other clips again on that [url=http://www.victoria.ca/archives/archives_vct.shtml:bb40a]Victoria Vignettes[/url:bb40a] site. It's really disheartening to see some of the things we've lost -- take a look at what the Public Market used to look like in its heyday...
When you buy a game, you buy the rules. Play happens in the space between the rules.

#23 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 14 December 2006 - 08:37 PM

Yeah thank god we tore that down to house some cars.

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#24 Caramia

Caramia
  • 3,835 posts

Posted 14 December 2006 - 09:27 PM

Ouch, what a loss!
Nowadays most people die of a sort of creeping common sense, and discover when it is too late that the only things one never regrets are one's mistakes.
Oscar Wilde (1854 - 1900), The Picture of Dorian Gray, 1891

#25 aastra

aastra
  • 20,763 posts

Posted 14 December 2006 - 10:18 PM

Can we hold our forebears responsible for the atrocities they committed against the city?

The area around Centennial Square is supposed to be bustling. What could Victorians possibly have been thinking when they razed it to create the black hole that's there now?

Let's hope the next incarnation of Centennial Square gets it right. It's the heart of downtown. It should be a busy, active place.

#26 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 27 January 2007 - 02:07 PM

For those that haven't checked the website in a while, they now have the prices and floorplans up. Top price: $1,170,000.

http://www.thebreakw....ca/pricing.htm
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#27 Urbalist

Urbalist
  • 58 posts

Posted 27 January 2007 - 02:24 PM

Thank you Holden.

The gatewall is a part of the area's fabric - physical and cultural - and as long as its in good shape, it ought to stay. The residences are close to the sidewalk which gets a lot of traffic, so the low wall creates a separation.

The only issue from an urban design aspect is that the gatewall is unbroken and there are no openings by which the residences make a direct connection to the public realm, and practically, means that a resident cannot immediately access the sidewalk from their limited common property. They need to traverse a shared sidewalk on the inside of the wall to an opening.

That may evoke a patrol lane found on the inside of walls intended to barricade.

#28 D.L.

D.L.
  • 7,786 posts

Posted 27 January 2007 - 02:25 PM

Those prices total to over $17.5 million. I wonder if City Hall should be concerned about the developer making too much money here.

#29 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 27 January 2007 - 02:29 PM

From what I understand, a developer that makes a >20% return on property on the ground is a hero but a developer that makes 20% on property in the air is bad and if that property is higher than 43 metres off the ground he is the devil incarnate.

Sadly, I'm not kidding.
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."

#30 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 27 January 2007 - 02:50 PM

Who in their right mind would pay that kind of money for a t/h?

You can ge this beauty in the same neighbourhood for $824,900: edit

#31 Ms. B. Havin

Ms. B. Havin
  • 5,052 posts

Posted 27 January 2007 - 02:58 PM

The gatewall is part of the area's fabric, true, but have you noticed how it has been "whitewashed" in the [url=http://www.thebreakwater.ca/gallery.htm:de128]artists' renderings[/url:de128]?
When you buy a game, you buy the rules. Play happens in the space between the rules.

#32 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 27 January 2007 - 03:06 PM

^That's because Crayola doesn't have a crayon called "grungy old cement".

I actually am OK with the wall. It's the Chelsea wall that I think is a bit much.

Hey, gum--embed that URL willya?

#33 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 27 January 2007 - 03:09 PM

^I've effing tried that numerous times. I'm retarded.
Next time I need to link I'll try again. Promise.

#34 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 27 January 2007 - 03:12 PM

Like so:

[url=http://www.mls.ca/PropertyDetails.aspx?vd=&SearchURL=%3fMode%3d0%26Page%3d1%26vs%3d1%26rlt%3d%26cp%3d%26pt%3d0%26mp%3d800000-0-0%26mrt%3d-1-0-0%26Beds%3d0-0%26Baths%3d0-0%26f%3d%26ft%3dall%26o%3dA%26of%3d1%26ps%3d50%26ptgid%3d1%26aid%3d252%26MapURL%3d%253fAreaID%253d764&Mode=0&PropertyID=5289703:a4c8f]James Bay house[/url:a4c8f]

#35 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 27 January 2007 - 03:13 PM

I understand the concept and the end result. I just can't figure out how to get to that point.
Please indulge me will ya? And I'll edit my post so the width can go back to normal.

#36 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 27 January 2007 - 03:47 PM

Just extract the link by hitting "quote" on my post above or simply go

James Bay house

#37 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 27 January 2007 - 06:12 PM

[url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holden,_West_Virginia:7dcdd]Thanks[/url:7dcdd] West.

#38 Icebergalley

Icebergalley
  • 596 posts

Posted 27 January 2007 - 10:01 PM

About the comparison of the T/H at Breakwater and the James Bay House....

One should compare apples and apples...

The Breakwater at some distance from the Breakwater is an apple..

The James Bay House cited is an orange..

a. a heritage class sfd with partial start at restoration...

b. on a large lot with a side driveway...

c. in the realators code.. "with a side driveway" and duplex zoning... does this translate to a potential small lot subdivision ands potential to selloff a piece of it..

d. or a potential strata title job?

??

#39 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 27 January 2007 - 10:25 PM

I spent about 2 years studying the market feverishly, specifically looking in JB and Fairfield and I'll tell you 900,000 is very high for a SF, let alone a t/h. I'm just thinking of it from the perpective of a recent house hunter.
I'm not saying there isn't a market for that kind of buyer, it's just well beyond the realm of what is "average".

A nice single family, 4/3, on a 50w by 150L lot, updated kitchen, other updates, private backyard, and income suite...well you do the math. This place makes much more $ sense.

Apples and oranges? It's the same market, and as a buyer will look at either possibility and compare. You can compare the two because this small market is driven by the desires of the people that will potentially buy.

#40 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 29 March 2007 - 01:00 PM

Taken today:

Notice the refinished fence/wall/gate thingy. Now it looks oppressive but new!

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users