Photo

Cable/internet/satellite rates: how much are you paying?

• Please log in to reply
1171 replies to this topic

#581 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,558 posts

Posted 18 April 2018 - 06:50 AM

They’re third party contractors, aren’t they? Usually they have pretty good deals when they’re being offered in that manner.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#582 jasmineshinga

jasmineshinga
  • 332 posts

Posted 18 April 2018 - 10:39 AM

Eh, one of my strata councilors has been trying to get details out of them since Telus dropped the promo material in her mailbox (the only one that doesn't say "No Junk Mail" in our complex) and they are mum on the details. Near impossible to reach as a matter of fact if you don't jump on board with a resounding YES from the get-go.

• VicHockeyFan and sebberry like this

~ Jasmine ~

#583 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,041 posts

Posted 18 April 2018 - 10:44 AM

How many do-dads did you have to buy to scatter around?

Comes as a single or set of three. So, three. We have a single we bought used to try it out as well, but we haven’t set that one up yet as we don’t seem to need it. We might when we move the VR system downstairs lol.

Matt.
  • VicHockeyFan likes this

#584 tjv

tjv
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 18 April 2018 - 03:42 PM

Feature wise you're so much better off with something like Outlook.com

I made the switch a few years ago and haven't looked back. 

Hey, does anyone have any details about Telus' plan to install (for FREE) fiber optic lines to suites in apartment stratas? 

We got a letter from them stating they want to do that, but we need to give them marketing access to residents and common areas.  I don't think the letter was actually from Telus, either.

They called me about 10 months ago and installed fibre optic to my house, all ready for when I want to switch to Telus fibre optic on a new upgraded fibre optic plan.  The install was free, the plan is not.  They are going to be waiting awhile before I pay their rates

• Mike K. likes this

#585 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,558 posts

Posted 16 July 2018 - 08:30 AM

Has anyone experienced atrocious wait times with Telus and Shaw lately?

I'm calling for the third time now after giving up twice. Today it's approaching 20 minutes and there hasn't been a customary "we're experience high call volumes" warning.

Meanwhile my neighbour was telling me how we gave up on waiting for Shaw after near two hours, only to try again the following day and finally connect nearly two hours in.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#586 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,752 posts

Posted 16 July 2018 - 08:34 AM

Has anyone experienced atrocious wait times with Telus and Shaw lately?...

I ALWAYS experience atrocious wait times when I call Telus. It's nothing new, but perhaps it is getting worse.

#587 DustMagnet

DustMagnet
  • 1,508 posts
  • LocationView Royal

Posted 16 July 2018 - 08:44 AM

Has anyone experienced atrocious wait times with Telus and Shaw lately?

I'm calling for the third time now after giving up twice. Today it's approaching 20 minutes and there hasn't been a customary "we're experience high call volumes" warning.

Meanwhile my neighbour was telling me how we gave up on waiting for Shaw after near two hours, only to try again the following day and finally connect nearly two hours in.

Doesn't Shaw have the callback feature?  You don't lose your place in the queue, even if it takes a long time.  I don't think Telus has that - I don't recall.

Personally I have had better luck with the online chat options on their respective websites.  I don't know if it's the same pool of people but it usually connects faster.

I also don't recall calling any company in the past few years and not getting the "higher than expected call volumes" claim - it seems that they didn't expect anyone to call. 

I called TD the other day (found a TD bank card on the E&N trail) and I wasn't given a callback option, but I was given the option of choosing the genre of hold music I wanted!  :P

• Nparker likes this

#588 Bob Fugger

Bob Fugger

Chief Factor

• 3,190 posts
  • LocationSouth Central CSV

Posted 16 July 2018 - 08:53 AM

Doesn't Shaw have the callback feature?  You don't lose your place in the queue, even if it takes a long time. 

I find that feature to be hit-and-miss.  Sometimes it's offered, but more often than not lately, it isn't.  I have no idea if it has to do with the number you call or not.  The chat option is better, but sometimes you're still waiting 1/2 hour plus.

#589 DustMagnet

DustMagnet
  • 1,508 posts
  • LocationView Royal

Posted 16 July 2018 - 09:01 AM

I find that feature to be hit-and-miss.  Sometimes it's offered, but more often than not lately, it isn't.  I have no idea if it has to do with the number you call or not.  The chat option is better, but sometimes you're still waiting 1/2 hour plus.

A problem with the chat option is that if it does take a long time, you can easily forget and the window may end up hidden behind something else - and it doesn't make any sound or notification when they do come on.  :(

For convenience I prefer the callback option, when offered.

#590 Bob Fugger

Bob Fugger

Chief Factor

• 3,190 posts
  • LocationSouth Central CSV

Posted 16 July 2018 - 09:06 AM

A problem with the chat option is that if it does take a long time, you can easily forget and the window may end up hidden behind something else - and it doesn't make any sound or notification when they do come on.  :(

That always happens to me!

#591 tjv

tjv
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 16 July 2018 - 01:46 PM

When I was with Telus Mobility the wait times were pathetic.  I remember being on hold at my house for 30 min, then decided to run some errands all while I hold.  I know it looked weird shopping holding my phone to my ear without talking, going thru the checkouts, blah blah blah.  I think it took 90 min to get ahold of someone and that was over a year ago

I don't have Telus anymore and if I wait more than 2 minutes with Rogers Wireless on hold I am shocked

For what Telus charges for internet and TV they should be kissing my behind.  Thankfully I dumped them now for online streaming on my smart TV's and movie theater.

Telus and Shaw suck

#592 DustMagnet

DustMagnet
  • 1,508 posts
  • LocationView Royal

Posted 16 July 2018 - 02:38 PM

Telus and Shaw suck

Can't argue that but then again they all suck, including Rogers.  Everyone's got their horror stories and their anecdotes of bliss.  Why I myself had a lovely, trouble-free experience with Shaw from 1998 through to 2016 or so, when Telus brought fibre to the neighbourhood.  As much as Shaw was fine for me, they don't offer a fast uplink which is important for my work.  I've also used Telus Mobility since 2002 or so and have no complaints that I can remember.

• Nparker likes this

#593 Cassidy

Cassidy
  • Banned
  • 2,501 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 16 July 2018 - 04:46 PM

I find that Shaw has gone from doing almost anything to cut a deal in order to keep you as a customer ... to basically telling you to pound sand if you don't like what they're offering.

I dumped Shaw cableTV a couple of years ago when I upped my internet package to the 150mbps (fastest) deal, but I kept their phone package when they offered me a deal that basically gave me my phone for free. I suspect that their plan is that folks will forget about the phone deal ... then when it runs out in a couple of years you're back to paying the $30.00 a month or so, and hopefully not noticing it on your bill.

This time when I called to re-new the phone deal, they told me to pound sand.

I dumped the phone as well, which actually saved me 5 bucks or so a month.

So from the Shaw "full meal deal" costing almost $200.00 per month, I'm now down to just their fastest internet package for $102.00 per month, which allows me to stream endlessly at 4K, and to provide internet connectivity to my entire house, of which I'm probably the "smallest" user in terms of bandwidth.

It's almost as if Shaw has essentially given up on the loyalty efforts to keep people on cable TV and internet phone ... and they realize that their golden geese are dead, with only their internet connectivity as the product that people are actually interested in.

I'd give that up for a better deal too if I didn't have a very desirable Shaw email address that I'd like to keep, and that all my professional contacts use - an email address I acquired about 5 minutes after Shaw switched from their original @home servers to their current @shaw servers. It's literally my profession @ shaw.ca

No spaces, no periods, no abbreviations.

I can't let that go ... so I stick with Shaw internet for $100.00 a month (which I don't consider too bad for the speed and bandwidth provided).

#594 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,752 posts

Posted 16 July 2018 - 04:49 PM

I find that Shaw has gone from doing almost anything to cut a deal in order to keep you as a customer ... to basically telling you to pound sand if you don't like what they're offering...

That is pretty much exactly the impression I get from Telus. When I once "threatened" to move to Shaw to get their introductory deal they told me "That's what a lot of our customers do". I was stunned.  :whyme:

#595 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,558 posts

Posted 16 July 2018 - 05:01 PM

So I managed to get some details on this.

Turns out Telus is on a call centre hiring spree as they can’t keep up with demand for service calls. At this time of year lots of folks are moving, lots of folks are transitioning from their one year free packages to paid packages, and more folks are home (vacay) and able to call at any time of the day. At least that’s what the Telus folks told me, and when I was on there were (!!!) 45 people in the queue!

So there we have it.

Know it all.

#596 tjv

tjv
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 16 July 2018 - 05:24 PM

^I got the exact same thing when I moved from Shaw to Telus years ago.  When I moved off Telus to Teksavvy they did everything in their power to keep me, except match the price when I told them I will be paying half of what I am now

Now Shaw has called me repeatedly to get me to come back with their packages.  I interrupt them and tell them I am paying $32.95 for 15 MBPS with unlimited data.  Are you willing to beat it?  

They respond well that's not how this work

I tell them never to call back unless they are offering a better deal

#597 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,508 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 16 July 2018 - 08:32 PM

Are we forgetting about the 6500 buyouts/layoffs Shaw offered this year?

Shaw said in a press release that the company’s multi-year overhaul aims to streamline its internal processes, and shift customer services online through apps and self-installed services. 

https://www.bnnbloom...erhaul-1.982932

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#598 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 16 July 2018 - 10:16 PM

^The effect of those buyouts across Canada was huge. Victoria wasn't too bad but some smaller offices further east lost half their staff. 

#599 vortoozo

vortoozo
  • 1,997 posts

Posted 16 July 2018 - 11:23 PM

Most of the buyouts are occurring in a phased fashion over a few years. The 6500 number is overstated.

From Shaw's 3rd quarter results press release:

The outcome of the program had approximately 3,300 Shaw employees accepting the VDP package, 1,200 of which will exit before the end of fiscal 2018

#600 North Shore

North Shore
  • 2,169 posts

Posted 27 August 2018 - 04:03 PM

Ok, after a little (fair bit?) of research, I'm pretty sure of dumping Shaw in favour of Juce.  Occasional movie and youtube watching, and I guess that SWMBO will be watching her newscasts on the CBC app.  

15 or 25 mbps download speed?  Which will do the trick?

Thanks!.

Say, what's that mountain goat doing up here in the mist?

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users