• 40,775 posts

Posted 05 August 2023 - 06:08 PM

How's your yodeling?

#122 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 53,054 posts

Posted 07 August 2023 - 01:10 AM

Imagine sitting under a star-studded sky, enjoying time in nature with friends or family while roasting marshmallows, sharing laughter and stories. Camping in our national parks is a summer tradition many Canadians enjoy, but there’s a darker history that permeates our parks.

Millions of people each year visit the 38 national parks and 171 national historic sites managed by Parks Canada. From coast to coast to coast, they come to see everything from the rugged trails in Newfoundland, to the waving Prairie grasslands and the snow-capped mountain peaks in B.C. and Alberta.

Parks Canada’s primary mandate is conservation — protecting the unique landscapes and diverse species. People are encouraged to visit the parks to gain an appreciation for the country’s natural beauty.

It’s less likely they come for a history lesson about the displacement and forced labour that helped forge those parks and the exclusion that kept others out.

https://www.cbc.ca/r...-national-parks

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 07 August 2023 - 01:10 AM.

#123 aastra

aastra
  • 20,763 posts

Posted 07 August 2023 - 07:49 PM

FYI: I enjoyed the grounds of Government House this long weekend and I'd estimate there were maybe another dozen people there while I was there. I just want to reiterate: I'm not desiring thick crowds, and sometimes that kind of peaceful solitude is exactly what you're seeking, but methinks the "urban green space" crisis has been exaggerated by a fair bit if a special place like Government House in the heart of Victoria isn't really being taken advantage of.

• Victoria Watcher likes this

#124 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,560 posts

Posted 30 August 2023 - 06:26 AM

IMG_1385.jpeg

🔹Beautiful East Sooke Park grows by 25 acres🔹

The Capital Regional District has added 25 acres to East Sooke Regional Park along the park’s East Sooke Road frontage. The size of the parkland is approximately 3,700 acres following the acquisition, and third in line by size behind Sea to Sea Regional Park and Sooke Hills Wilderness Regional Park, both also on the West Shore. More from the CRD:

The Capital Regional District (CRD) has acquired a 10-hectare (nearly 25 acre) parcel of undeveloped land that will be added to East Sooke Regional Park.

The newly acquired land is bordered on two sides by East Sooke Regional Park and runs along East Sooke Road, next to the East Sooke Volunteer Fire Department. The parcel is one of the few remaining large undeveloped tracts of land that can be added to East Sooke Regional Park. Acquisition of this property complements the recently acquired (October 2022) Copper Mine Road parcel, further strengthening the park boundary and securing an important travel corridor for large carnivores that travel through East Sooke Regional Park.

“This land acquisition in East Sooke Regional Park is welcome news and increases the amount of valuable and protected park land in our region,” said Colin Plant, CRD Board Chair. “The CRD is committed to making progress on climate action and environmental targets and through land acquisitions like these we’re working towards protecting biodiversity and furthering the protection of ecological assets.”

The parcel met the CRD’s criteria for acquisition and was recommended for acquisition in the January 2023 land acquisition update. The property has a market value of $1,090,000 and was bought by the CRD for $950,000 in July 2023. The landowners, the Broadbent family, graciously donated $140,000 of the land’s value.

“This property was part of the original Glenairly homestead and was purchased by our great grandparents, Alex and Nellie (nee Todd) Gillespie, in 1910,” said the Broadbent family. “Many Gillespie descendants have been fortunate to explore and play there, and we are delighted that it will now be preserved and shared for others to enjoy. We thank the CRD for making it possible.”

The addition of this land brings the park to a total of 1484.08 hectares, making East Sooke Regional Park the third largest park in the CRD Regional Parks system after Sea to Sea Regional Park and Sooke Hills Wilderness Regional Park. The area is important habitat for bears, cougars and wolves, as well as for many smaller organisms. It also includes several old-growth Coastal Douglas fir trees estimated at over 250 years old. The new property will be left in its natural state to buffer the park’s existing boundaries and to protect biodiversity and wildlife habitat.

East Sooke Regional Park was established in 1970 and is categorized as a Regional Wilderness Area due to its large size and rugged setting. Park users can enjoy solitude and remoteness when visiting and hiking on the 50 kilometres of rugged trails. The park is considered by many to be one of the most spectacular in the system, with uninterrupted views of the Strait of Juan de Fuca and the Olympic Mountains and boasts exceptional marine bird and mammal viewing.

The CRD has provided a regional parks service since 1966. Since then, the regional parks system has grown to include 33 regional parks and four regional trails, comprising over 13,300 hectares of land.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#125 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,054 posts

Posted 26 September 2023 - 06:05 AM

The prospect of parking fees at nine more regional parks is back on the table, after being rejected two years ago.

If approved, the fees would be in effect at a third of the Capital Regional District’s 33 regional parks. Two parks — Thetis Lake and Sooke Potholes — already have parking fees.

The fee for daily parking would start at $4 next year and rise to $5.50 in 2025 and $7 in 2026.

A seasonal parking pass would cost $30 in 2024, $45 in 2025, and $60 in 2026.

A two-hour pass would be $2.

Fees are proposed for Elk and Beaver Lake, Horth Hill in North Saanich, East Sooke Regional Park, Witty’s Lagoon, Devonian Regional Park and Matheson Lake in Metchosin, Mill Hill in Langford, Sooke Hills Wilderness (the south access), and Sea to Sea Regional Park in Sooke.

The most used of the nine parks is Elk and Beaver lakes, with 1.9 million visits in 2022, followed by East Sooke with 235,262, and Horth Hill at 120,020.

https://www.timescol...-agenda-7598968

I think major park parking fees are fine.

#126 max.bravo

max.bravo
  • 1,938 posts

Posted 26 September 2023 - 06:18 AM

There’s gonna be outrage over this. Finances shouldn’t be a barrier to going to elk lake to walk the dog or run around the lake or take the kids to the playground. $4 per visit will add up quickly.
  • spanky123 and Barrrister like this

#127 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,560 posts

Posted 26 September 2023 - 06:20 AM

$7/day in two years.

But not to worry. You can walk to East Sooke Regional Park, and access will be free.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#128 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,054 posts

Posted 26 September 2023 - 12:31 PM

There’s gonna be outrage over this. Finances shouldn’t be a barrier to going to elk lake to walk the dog or run around the lake or take the kids to the playground. $4 per visit will add up quickly.

If you already own a car, $30/year for access to every park is a good deal and not a burden.

It's a very gentle move to some user-pay.  And falls on those that demand most from parks - parking spots.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 26 September 2023 - 12:31 PM.

#129 max.bravo

max.bravo
  • 1,938 posts

Posted 26 September 2023 - 12:43 PM

How did I know VW would say that 😜

I still think a lot of young, probably struggling families will be hit hardest by this. It’ll result in less $ in their pockets, or less time spent outdoors in parks. Parking should be free. I feel the same way about hospital parking

#130 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,054 posts

Posted 26 September 2023 - 12:47 PM

How did I know VW would say that

I still think a lot of young, probably struggling families will be hit hardest by this. It’ll result in less $ in their pockets, or less time spent outdoors in parks. Parking should be free. I feel the same way about hospital parking

If the revenue does not come from parking, it's going to come from your CRD tax levy - paid for by those same young families anyway.  At least this moves a tiny bit of it to user-pay.

#131 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,775 posts

Posted 26 September 2023 - 01:36 PM

How many CRD parks are easily accessible via public transportation - i.e. less than a 5 minute walk from the nearest bus stop?

#132 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,054 posts

Posted 26 September 2023 - 01:41 PM

How many CRD parks are easily accessible via public transportation - i.e. less than a 5 minute walk from the nearest bus stop?

https://www.crd.bc.c...it.pdf?sfvrsn=0

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 26 September 2023 - 01:42 PM.

#133 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,775 posts

Posted 26 September 2023 - 01:47 PM

So more than 60% of all CRD parks are really only accessible by car. I think this makes a credible argument against costly "user-pay" parking.

#134 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,054 posts

Posted 26 September 2023 - 01:48 PM

They only want pay in 11.

#135 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,775 posts

Posted 26 September 2023 - 01:52 PM

They only want pay in 11.

All of which are accessible by BC Transit?

#136 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,054 posts

Posted 26 September 2023 - 01:52 PM

Maybe read the article?

#137 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,775 posts

Posted 26 September 2023 - 01:55 PM

If I read the article, there's no reason to read your posts now is there?  ;)

• Victoria Watcher likes this

#138 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,054 posts

Posted 26 September 2023 - 02:03 PM

If I read the article, there's no reason to read your posts now is there?  ;)

I would not read my posts if I were you, for sure.   :badpc:

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 26 September 2023 - 02:03 PM.

#139 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,014 posts

Posted 27 September 2023 - 07:29 AM

$7/day in two years.

But not to worry. You can walk to East Sooke Regional Park, and access will be free.

So there are currently 4.9M visits a year to the parks and the CRD expects that a $4 a day fee will generate $1.9M in revenue according to the TC article. So does that imply that the number of visits will drop from 4.9M to 475K?

#140 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,014 posts

Posted 27 September 2023 - 07:31 AM

If the revenue does not come from parking, it's going to come from your CRD tax levy - paid for by those same young families anyway.  At least this moves a tiny bit of it to user-pay.

We are already paying for the parks through our CRD tax levy. The article mentions paying for trestle and trail (Goose?) improvements which sounds to me like they are trying to rob Peter to pay Paul.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users