CRD Parks

• Please log in to reply
161 replies to this topic

#101 aastra

aastra
  • 20,757 posts

Posted 19 January 2023 - 04:09 PM

“You spoke, we listened."

The standard response to any public outcry related to changes to parks and green spaces. Just once I'd like to see them push something through against public resistance, rather than easily giving in every time.

#102 aastra

aastra
  • 20,757 posts

Posted 19 January 2023 - 04:11 PM

Does anyone here know what technology would be required to install a new sign that was consistent with the updated signage at other parks, while also maintaining the traditional "carved log" sign?

#103 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 53,053 posts

Posted 19 January 2023 - 06:47 PM

screenshot-twitter.com-2023.01.19-21_47_25.png

#104 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,765 posts

Posted 19 January 2023 - 06:53 PM

A bread and circuses controversy if ever there was one.

#105 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 53,053 posts

Posted 01 April 2023 - 03:55 AM

$500,000 in trail improvements underway at Gowlland Tod Provincial Park

https://www.timescol...al-park-6792824

Construction expected to continue until June with intermittent trail closures

#106 aastra

aastra
  • 20,757 posts

Posted 04 August 2023 - 06:43 PM

We all know we're living shoulder to shoulder in this unbearably overcrowded and overburdened world of ours. No question about it, it's an unquestionable premise.

And yet, a few days ago on a nice summer evening I happened to be strolling through Hollywood Park in Fairfield and there wasn't another soul on the entire park property. Nobody in the playground, nobody playing tennis, nobody walking a dog, not one person.

So why do I mention this? Who cares?

Because I had a similar experience on an even nicer summer evening just a few days earlier, when I happened to be strolling the grounds of Camosun College. It felt like a Twilight Zone episode where I was the only person left in the world. (Full disclosure: just as I was exiting the grounds I did finally happen to see a security guy doing his rounds.)

Yes, in both cases we're talking about a relatively short window of maybe a few minutes, max. But I think my point is this: is open space/green space/recreational space really in such desperately short supply in Victoria? It makes me wonder if that particular crisis narrative might be a tad exaggerated.

• phx likes this

#107 aastra

aastra
  • 20,757 posts

Posted 04 August 2023 - 07:00 PM

Here's another one: on Gonzales Hill there always seems to be a handful of people, but also never more than just a handful of people.

Same thing for the grounds of Government House whenever I'm there. A handful of people, but no more than that. Maybe I keep odd hours.

Don't misunderstand me, I'm not wishing for crowds. But sometimes I do find myself wondering where everybody is and why so few people seem to be enjoying this spot or that. Gonzales Hill and Government House are hardly run-of-the-mill locales. These are special places.

Mount Tolmie, on the other hand, tends to be a more consistent draw. Every time I go up there I find a fair number of people and it's not unusual for it to be genuinely crowded.

#108 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,607 posts

Posted 04 August 2023 - 07:35 PM

Here's another one: on Gonzales Hill there always seems to be a handful of people, but also never more than just a handful of people.

Same thing for the grounds of Government House whenever I'm there. A handful of people, but no more than that. Maybe I keep odd hours.

Don't misunderstand me, I'm not wishing for crowds. But sometimes I do find myself wondering where  is and why so few people seem to be enjoying this spot or that. Gonzales Hill and Government House are hardly run-of-the-mill locales. These are special places.

Mount Tolmie, on the other hand, tends to be a more consistent draw. Every time I go up there I find a fair number of people and it's not unusual for it to be genuinely crowded.

Don't misunderstand me, I'm not wishing for crowds. But sometimes I do find myself wondering where everybody is and why so few people seem to be enjoying this spot or that. Gonzales Hill and Government House are hardly run-of-the-mill locales. These are special places.

Our family lived across Cedar Hill X Rd from the entrance to Mt Tolmie proper, from 1972-2012. It was always popular and even crowded with locals frequently walking their furry friends, even back in the 70's. Beyond that kids including yours truly skate boarded from the top parking lot all the way down to Cedar Hill. Still many others, not necessarily with pets, simply walked its many trails. Given that it is literally surrounded on all sides by densely populated suburbia this is really no surprise. Its easily accessible to all, very walk-able, safe, and has a great view at the top.

Edited by AllseeingEye, 04 August 2023 - 07:36 PM.

#109 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,348 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 04 August 2023 - 07:38 PM

What's Gonzales Hill? I've never been there or heard of it 😅

#110 aastra

aastra
  • 20,757 posts

Posted 04 August 2023 - 07:49 PM

I made it up. It's all part of the testing that Mike K. has us doing.

• lanforod likes this

#111 Barrrister

Barrrister
  • 2,903 posts

Posted 04 August 2023 - 08:43 PM

Government house has lots of people there whenever I am there and that has been pretty regularly over the years. 

• aastra likes this

#112 Blair M.

Blair M.
  • 134 posts

Posted 05 August 2023 - 06:43 AM

I think the take-away is that the CRD and its surrounding green spaces most definitely aren't overcrowded.

There's still a lot of places that remain as they were 30 or 40 years ago.

Of course we're geographically larger, and harbouring a few serious issues that assorted Councils have repeatedly failed to deal with, but as your walkabouts demonstrate, Victoria and surrounds is a lovely place to live.

#113 Barrrister

Barrrister
  • 2,903 posts

Posted 05 August 2023 - 08:28 AM

That is not my takeaway at all. Perhaps, you should restrict conclusions to your viewpoint and not imply that others all agree with you. I think the limited greenspaces are starting to reach capacity in many instances. 

#114 Blair M.

Blair M.
  • 134 posts

Posted 05 August 2023 - 08:58 AM

That is not my takeaway at all. Perhaps, you should restrict conclusions to your viewpoint and not imply that others all agree with you. I think the limited greenspaces are starting to reach capacity in many instances. 

Mmmmm -  it was a post noting what "I think".

Of course, you're free to think whatever you wish.

#115 aastra

aastra
  • 20,757 posts

Posted 05 August 2023 - 11:09 AM

I think the take-away is that the CRD and its surrounding green spaces most definitely aren't overcrowded.

This is basically what I'm suggesting, yes. Sometimes I feel like I could blast Mike K.'s favourite albums on a boom box and there wouldn't be a chance of offending anyone because there's nobody else around. That's pretty incredible if you really think about it.

Many times on this board we've observed how the issue isn't lack of spaces but rather how the spaces are being used or not used, or what condition they're in, etc.

#116 aastra

aastra
  • 20,757 posts

Posted 05 August 2023 - 11:18 AM

Also, there's that "hidden gems" mindset in Victoria whereby a lot of people seem to exclude themselves from things that are neither hidden nor small.

#117 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,765 posts

Posted 05 August 2023 - 11:25 AM

...Sometimes I feel like I could blast Mike K.'s favourite albums on a boom box and there wouldn't be a chance of offending anyone because there's nobody else around...

I bet Mike keeps this one under lock & key.

slim.jpg

#118 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,045 posts

Posted 05 August 2023 - 11:28 AM

Seems like more of a Cheech and Chong type, Dave’s not here and all that.

#119 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,765 posts

Posted 05 August 2023 - 11:39 AM

C&C are undoubtedly part of Mike's spoken word album collection.

• Victoria Watcher likes this

#120 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,560 posts

Posted 05 August 2023 - 04:13 PM

I also play left handed guitar!
  • Nparker likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users