South Island Aboriginal and First Nations issues and discussion

• Please log in to reply
1063 replies to this topic

#241 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 53,054 posts

Posted 31 August 2019 - 08:34 AM

what's the point of learning that language?

#242 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,014 posts

Posted 31 August 2019 - 09:30 AM

I have no issue with wanting to protect a language, but replacing a language that is necessary for any advancement in public sector careers in this country with one that will only ever be spoken by a few hundred people seems to me like a huge disservice to students.

• Nparker and Midnightly like this

#243 DustMagnet

DustMagnet
  • 1,508 posts
  • LocationView Royal

Posted 31 August 2019 - 10:04 AM

I have no issue with wanting to protect a language, but replacing a language that is necessary for any advancement in public sector careers in this country with one that will only ever be spoken by a few hundred people seems to me like a huge disservice to students.

Feels good, man.

#244 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,054 posts

Posted 31 August 2019 - 10:48 AM

ya I guess. does no good for the student. rez life forever I guess.

#245 amor de cosmos

amor de cosmos

BUILD

• 7,121 posts

Posted 31 August 2019 - 03:50 PM

i thought the principal explained it pretty well. it's the same reason people learn catalan in catalonia, for example.

#246 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,560 posts

Posted 31 August 2019 - 04:05 PM

Catalan is spoken by 7 million people and understood by 10 million. It’s also a language easily learned among those who speak Spanish/Italian/Portuguese.

In our local case it sounds like the teachers themselves don’t know the language and will be learning it as they teach it.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#247 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 31 August 2019 - 04:14 PM

It's funny, the rest of us are going nuts over at Ancestry.com getting our DNA analyzed and finding out your great-great-great grandparent was a fisherman or scullery maid or what have you. Meanwhile an indigenous person expresses interest in her culture and all of a sudden it's "Indians getting uppity!"
  • tedward and Brayvehart like this

#248 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 31 August 2019 - 04:24 PM

I will say this: the alphabet is too complicated. Turkey, which speaks a blend of Arabic and Persian, abandoned Arabic script in the 1920s and switched to a Latin alphabet which looks like ours except for half a dozen modified characters. I was there and found that after 20 minutes of memorization I could reasonably pronounce any word I saw.

I figure if Arabic can be accurately latinized any indigenous language can.

#249 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,560 posts

Posted 31 August 2019 - 05:23 PM

Rob’s Upstairs School of Languages!:

Reasonably* pronounce our whitewashed versions of First Nations languages in 20 minutes, or get your deposit back!

*Rob’s Upstairs School of Languages reserves the right to assess the meaning of “reasonable” based on a minimum 2/15 likelihood of properly pronouncing a term of Rob’s Upstairs School of Languages choosing.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#250 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,560 posts

Posted 31 August 2019 - 05:37 PM

I’m just teasing.

But I fail to see how replacing French as a secondary language is more beneficial to the students, thinking globally and in terms of future employment opportunities in this country. Why not introduce the First Nations language as a third language? Young children can pick up languages very quickly.

Know it all.

#251 LJ

LJ
  • 12,742 posts

Posted 31 August 2019 - 07:03 PM

Why aren't they learning it at home?

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#252 SamCB

SamCB
  • 665 posts
  • Locationvictoria

Posted 31 August 2019 - 07:59 PM

^The Home Life of many FNs will take many more generations to stabilize after the effects of residential schools.

And the reason why they want to learn the language is precisely to preserve it. A language needs speakers to be preserved.... The poster who said "i have no problems with preserving a language... but why would you want to learn it?" deserves the award for least we'll considered statement of the year.
  • Brayvehart likes this

#253 Midnightly

Midnightly
  • 1,346 posts

Posted 31 August 2019 - 10:45 PM

i'm all for teaching the language (any of the first nations languages) i think there should be more opportunity for those to learn traditional languages if they wish to learn them, i think it's a wonderful step towards reconciliation, i also wouldn't be against teaching of traditional skills, or even a first nations history class offered in high school/middle school where elders can come in and talk about traditional stories... but i do think these should be in addition to what is currently being offered not taking away what is currently being offered... the option of french should not be replaced with a first nation language, it should be in addition to french..

#254 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,560 posts

Posted 01 September 2019 - 05:04 AM

Back when I was in elementary school we had a First Nations elder come in and teach us. I can’t recall how often it was, though.

Know it all.

#255 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,014 posts

Posted 01 September 2019 - 10:29 AM

^The Home Life of many FNs will take many more generations to stabilize after the effects of residential schools.

And the reason why they want to learn the language is precisely to preserve it. A language needs speakers to be preserved.... The poster who said "i have no problems with preserving a language... but why would you want to learn it?" deserves the award for least we'll considered statement of the year.

You are taking what I said out of context. The issue is around replacing French with a FN language, not whether FN languages should be taught. 

#256 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 03 September 2019 - 10:05 AM

Rob’s Upstairs School of Languages!:

Reasonably* pronounce our whitewashed versions of First Nations languages in 20 minutes, or get your deposit back!

*Rob’s Upstairs School of Languages reserves the right to assess the meaning of “reasonable” based on a minimum 2/15 likelihood of properly pronouncing a term of Rob’s Upstairs School of Languages choosing.

The reason you say Qadaffi's name spelled several different ways was that the first sound is something half-way between a Q and a K. I guess it comes down to how close is close enough. You don't want to pave over the subtlety and beauty of a language by oversimplifying it. But if it's too hard to learn as a second language it will die out.

#257 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 03 September 2019 - 10:18 AM

I’m just teasing.

But I fail to see how replacing French as a secondary language is more beneficial to the students, thinking globally and in terms of future employment opportunities in this country. Why not introduce the First Nations language as a third language? Young children can pick up languages very quickly.

French isn't required to graduate from high school in BC, and hasn't been since at lest 2007 when I graduated. You're only required to take a "Language Arts" course. FN languages meet this requirement.

Many schools only have the staff capacity to offer French, though. Bilingual students can also challenge the exam and not take a course. My Japanese-Canadian friend didn't have to take any French courses thanks to this.

#258 amor de cosmos

amor de cosmos

BUILD

• 7,121 posts

Posted 03 September 2019 - 04:51 PM

The reason you say Qadaffi's name spelled several different ways was that the first sound is something half-way between a Q and a K. I guess it comes down to how close is close enough. You don't want to pave over the subtlety and beauty of a language by oversimplifying it. But if it's too hard to learn as a second language it will die out.

arabic has a set of consonants that includes that one, that are all made way in the back of the throat. they correspond to k, t, s, d, th. see them here https://en.wikipedia...Arabic_alphabet

SENĆOŦEN has a similar set of consonants except they're glottalized, meaning no air escapes when the sound is made. they correspond to our p, ts, t, ch, k. they also have a few others & their glottalized partners, so there are quite a few sounds that would be hard or impossible to write with our alphabet. i'm pretty sure all the salish languages and most other west-coast languages are like that

Edited by amor de cosmos, 03 September 2019 - 04:51 PM.

• Rob Randall likes this

#259 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,560 posts

Posted 03 September 2019 - 06:51 PM

French isn't required to graduate from high school in BC, and hasn't been since at lest 2007 when I graduated. You're only required to take a "Language Arts" course. FN languages meet this requirement.

Many schools only have the staff capacity to offer French, though. Bilingual students can also challenge the exam and not take a course. My Japanese-Canadian friend didn't have to take any French courses thanks to this.

Sure, but you need French if you want to be the next Trudeau or a flight attendant. It’s an important language, especially since we’re a bilingual country.

Know it all.

#260 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,054 posts

Posted 03 September 2019 - 06:58 PM

Sure, but you need French if you want to be the next Trudeau or a flight attendant. 

god forbid our kids don't aim higher.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users