South Island Aboriginal and First Nations issues and discussion

• Please log in to reply
1037 replies to this topic

#21 tedward

tedward
  • 1,974 posts
  • LocationJames Bay

Posted 08 August 2013 - 02:05 PM

I seems kinda astounding that these first nations have not worked out who is going to claim what in the many years they have been fighting for their rights. Conflicting claims would seem to me to be a waste of time and a PR disaster.

Lake Side Buoy - LEGO Nut - History Nerd - James Bay resident

#22 mysage

mysage
  • 515 posts

Posted 08 August 2013 - 04:55 PM

I seems kinda astounding that these first nations have not worked out who is going to claim what in the many years they have been fighting for their rights. Conflicting claims would seem to me to be a waste of time and a PR disaster.

You are suprised? It all about claiming as much as the "ancesteral rights" monies as possible.

#23 tedward

tedward
  • 1,974 posts
  • LocationJames Bay

Posted 09 August 2013 - 07:58 AM

You are suprised?

Well yes actually.

If the goal is, as you say, "claiming as much as the "ancesteral rights" monies as possible" then anything that impedes that goal should be avoided. Working it out beforehand and presenting a unified front would seem to me to be the way to maximise the value.

When entering negotiations with the Provincial and Federal Governments leaving them the opportunity to play one first nation against the other is foolish.

#24 mysage

mysage
  • 515 posts

Posted 09 August 2013 - 08:14 AM

Well yes actually.

If the goal is, as you say, "claiming as much as the "ancesteral rights" monies as possible" then anything that impedes that goal should be avoided. Working it out beforehand and presenting a unified front would seem to me to be the way to maximise the value.

When entering negotiations with the Provincial and Federal Governments leaving them the opportunity to play one first nation against the other is foolish.

If anything has bcome obvious over the years with the First Nations groups it is that they don't all work together for the common good. As with their ancient histories they are often in conflict over various lands, resources, directions etc. even today This is not any different than white groups and should not be seen as a "knock" on the First Nations Groups but just a realization that thye are as fractured as any other groups in society. Always have been, always will be.

#25 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 82,943 posts

Posted 09 August 2013 - 11:13 AM

My mother's acquaintance is aboriginal and she originates from the Port Alberni area. From what I've gleaned from this acquaintance's recollections is that political infighting and the turf wars between nations (especially central Island vs. south Island) is a reality.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#26 Kikadee

Kikadee
  • 247 posts

Posted 26 June 2014 - 07:35 AM

I'm pretty amazed by the Supreme Court ruling on the Tsilhqot'in (Roger William) case. This will have far-reaching effects to say the least!

#27 tedward

tedward
  • 1,974 posts
  • LocationJames Bay

Posted 26 June 2014 - 08:06 AM

http://www.timescolo...ation-1.1159066

#28 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 26 November 2014 - 08:07 AM

http://news.national...aming-or-worse/

OTTAWA — First Nations that flout the Conservative government’s new financial-transparency law have been told they could face consequences ranging from a public shaming to possible court action.

Aboriginal Affairs wrote to a number of First Nations last month to advise them they have until Wednesday to publish their financial information online.

Apparently some western bands are planning to absolutely hold out.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#29 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,082 posts

Posted 08 December 2014 - 11:34 PM

"The small Hwlitsum First Nation is laying claim to parts of the Gulf Islands, Southern Vancouver Island and the Lower Mainland, including Stanley Park. In the notice of claim filed in court, it states the “Aboriginal rights and title are including, but not limited to, lands in and around TI’uqtinus village, Xway Xway, Hwlitsum, including all lands at Brunswick Point, Westham Island and all or some of the lands at Salt Spring Island, Gabriola Island, Valdes Island, Galiano Island, Saturna Island, North and South Pender Island, Mayne Island, the San Juan Islands, the Lamalcha portions of Penelakut Island, Lummi and other locations throughout their traditional territory, including Musqueam, Chemainus and Coquitlam.”

http://globalnews.ca...d-gulf-islands/

#30 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,960 posts

Posted 09 December 2014 - 07:47 AM

"The small Hwlitsum First Nation is laying claim to parts of the Gulf Islands, Southern Vancouver Island and the Lower Mainland, including Stanley Park. In the notice of claim filed in court, it states the “Aboriginal rights and title are including, but not limited to, lands in and around TI’uqtinus village, Xway Xway, Hwlitsum, including all lands at Brunswick Point, Westham Island and all or some of the lands at Salt Spring Island, Gabriola Island, Valdes Island, Galiano Island, Saturna Island, North and South Pender Island, Mayne Island, the San Juan Islands, the Lamalcha portions of Penelakut Island, Lummi and other locations throughout their traditional territory, including Musqueam, Chemainus and Coquitlam.”

http://globalnews.ca...d-gulf-islands/

And no doubt the taxpayer is funding their legal representation as we do in most land claim issues. It is no wonder that these claim rarely get resolved, they have become big business for legions of lawyers who get paid more the longer the cases drag out!

Edited by spanky123, 09 December 2014 - 07:48 AM.

#31 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 09 December 2014 - 08:42 AM

And no doubt the taxpayer is funding their legal representation as we do in most land claim issues. It is no wonder that these claim rarely get resolved, they have become big business for legions of lawyers who get paid more the longer the cases drag out!

The claims rarely get resolved because most First Nations make unreasonable demands that simply cannot be met (like claiming bloody Stanley Park and $2B for 250 members - really, they each deserve $8M???). The Hwilitsum were really canoeing from Salt Spring to Stanely Park? That's like 50 kms!!!

#32 concorde

concorde
  • Banned
  • 1,980 posts

Posted 09 December 2014 - 09:04 AM

You know I heard last week that someone sold my great great grandfather a horse that died within 24 hours so I need to find their relatives.  after all with interest I should be able to take a few of their houses

Why am I responsible for something that my ancestors did 150+ years ago???

• Nparker likes this

#33 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,960 posts

Posted 09 December 2014 - 09:12 AM

The claims rarely get resolved because most First Nations make unreasonable demands that simply cannot be met (like claiming bloody Stanley Park and $2B for 250 members - really, they each deserve $8M???). The Hwilitsum were really canoeing from Salt Spring to Stanely Park? That's like 50 kms!!!

Not to mention that often several groups claim the same lands as their own.

• jonny likes this

#34 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 09 December 2014 - 09:18 AM

Not to mention that often several groups claim the same lands as their own.

Yup and there's no proof because the aboriginals, for the most part, did not keep written records. All we have are stories that have been passed down through the generations. Those stories must be 100% accurate, right???

When I used to live up north you could tell which nation an aboriginal person belonged to by how new their truck was.

#35 Kikadee

Kikadee
  • 247 posts

Posted 10 December 2014 - 07:58 AM

In fact, they did. Every summer, thousands of Cowichan people canoed from Vancouver Island to the Fraser River where they fished salmon. They had a huuuuuuge village on Lulu Island.

#36 Coreyburger

Coreyburger
  • 2,864 posts

Posted 10 December 2014 - 08:07 AM

In fact, they did. Every summer, thousands of Cowichan people canoed from Vancouver Island to the Fraser River where they fished salmon. They had a huuuuuuge village on Lulu Island.

And early settlers in Victoria were actually quite worried about the Haida sailing down here and wiping them all out in a single raid.

#37 Szeven

Szeven
  • 1,199 posts

Posted 10 December 2014 - 08:09 AM

Inter-tribe war is the on way to solve this!

#38 amor de cosmos

amor de cosmos

BUILD

• 7,116 posts

Posted 27 August 2015 - 10:29 AM

Almost a decade ago, XEMŦOLTW̱ Nick Claxton told his family he wanted to revitalize the reef net fishery, a fishing practice unique to the Straits Salish people and banned by the colonial government 100 years ago.

His uncle advised: “You can’t just go fishing. You must first build a ceremonial net.” And so began the spiritual, cultural and educational journey that Claxton considers his life’s work. It also became his PhD dissertation in curriculum and instruction at the University of Victoria—a research study designed to revitalize the knowledge, ceremony and practice that was nearly lost.

http://ring.uvic.ca/...saanich-fishery

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vTQk1IR9ibc

Edited by amor de cosmos, 27 August 2015 - 10:30 AM.

#39 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,960 posts

Posted 27 August 2015 - 11:27 AM

http://ring.uvic.ca/...saanich-fishery

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vTQk1IR9ibc

Looking at the picture included in the link it appears as though the reason why Nick isn't catching any fish is because the net should be below the waterline!

#40 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 10 February 2016 - 08:13 AM

http://www.timescolo...water-1.2169194

Esquimalt First Nation claims land, water

esquimalt-first-nation-claim-map.jpg

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users