South Island Aboriginal and First Nations issues and discussion

• Please log in to reply
1037 replies to this topic

#581 LJ

LJ
  • 12,685 posts

Posted 30 September 2021 - 07:54 PM

I don't buy carbon credits either.

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#582 amor de cosmos

amor de cosmos

BUILD

• 7,116 posts

Posted 09 October 2021 - 07:59 AM

Belcarra Regional Park on the Burrard Inlet in Metro Vancouver will also have the Indigenous name of temtemíxwten, which local First Nations say translates to "biggest place for all the people."

20211008171048-6160bcf060f1317eef9fbabdj

https://www.timescol...tory-1.24362918

• Matt R. likes this

#583 amor de cosmos

amor de cosmos

BUILD

• 7,116 posts

Posted 16 November 2021 - 08:11 AM

A lawyer who was part of a group lobbying the International Criminal Court (ICC) to investigate Canada and the Catholic Church over the residential school system says they’ve been turned down.

“The ICC prosecutor declined to open a preliminary investigation,” says Andrew Phypers, one of a dozen lawyers who wrote the ICC requesting an investigation. “Part of their reasoning was that they felt they were prevented as the deaths occurred before Canada ratified the crimes against humanity law.”

In June, the lawyers from Canada put a request to the ICC for an investigation saying Canada and its police force can’t be left to investigate these crimes.

Brendan Miller, a Calgary lawyer, told APTN News in June the investigation has to be done by an agency outside of Canada.

“The fact is, the government of Canada, including the RCMP and including the Vatican, including the churches, all have an invested interest in the truth not coming out,” said Miller.

The lawyers filed the request, pro bono, following an announcement in May from the Tk’emlups te Secwepemc Nation that it found what are believed to be 215 unmarked graves at the site of a former residential school.

https://www.aptnnews...-investigation/

#584 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,960 posts

Posted 16 November 2021 - 08:53 AM

^ So the next step is for the Feds to apply to recover legal costs?!

#585 North Shore

North Shore
  • 2,169 posts

Posted 16 November 2021 - 12:30 PM

Not that I have anything against using the 'original' place names for locations, but until places come with pronounceable aboriginal names, I'll be sticking with  the good old anglicizations: Belcarra,  Squamish, Esquimalt, and so on...

• LJ likes this
Say, what's that mountain goat doing up here in the mist?

#586 amor de cosmos

amor de cosmos

BUILD

• 7,116 posts

Posted 12 December 2021 - 11:26 AM

Not long after Jeanie York and her husband, Victor York evacuated their home near Highway 8 during November's devastating floods, they discovered two sacred medicine pipes — among the few valuables they were able to take from their home — had been stolen.

"We are evacuees. It's just unbelievable. It's just one more thing that you have to deal with — a violation of your personal belongings," York, a Cook's Ferry Indian Band elder, told host Sarah Penton on CBC's Radio West.

Now York is asking the public for help in recovering the pipes, one of which she describes as having a tall, stone bowl and a wooden stem, and the other made of red stone with a red bowl. 

The medicine pipes are sacred artifacts in Indigenous communities, and are often used in ceremonies.

York says her husband, former chief of the Lower Nicola Indian Band, kept both pipes for many years. One was a community pipe given to him by a friend in Manitoba.

https://www.cbc.ca/n...rritt-1.6199641

#587 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,003 posts

Posted 12 December 2021 - 04:58 PM

What actual achievement am I missing here?

I’m not sure “60’s Scoop **survivor” makes much sense either.

Seems to me she is in her 40’s or 50’s and still in school. Is that the achievement?

https://www.vicnews.com/

This story needs more background.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 12 December 2021 - 05:02 PM.

#588 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,003 posts

Posted 12 December 2021 - 06:05 PM

Newman is the third of four inaugural UVic impact chairs appointed to five-year research positions funded by the university’s strategic framework initiative.

Through his art, he strives to bring light to social and environmental injustice by addressing how colonialism and capitalism impact modern society, a release said.

https://www.vicnews....yst-for-change/

Well, for one, colonialism installed a society than allowed you to be appointed to this fairly well paying job in an institution that did not exist here prior to contact.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 12 December 2021 - 06:06 PM.

#589 Moderation

Moderation
  • Suspended User
  • 364 posts

Posted 12 December 2021 - 07:25 PM

There are a number of impact chairs at U V.ic..Here is the search request for another impact chair.

Microsoft Word - AD-Impact Chair Position_as (1).docx (uvic.ca)

One might expect an indigenous person to be selected given the title.

Suggesting that this position given to an indigenous person is a positive result of colonialism is in my opinion way out of line and example of racism. 

University of Victoria’s Indigenous art practices impact chair hopes to be catalyst for change
  • Brayvehart and Victoria Watcher like this

#590 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,003 posts

Posted 12 December 2021 - 07:29 PM

I never said it was positive.

#591 Moderation

Moderation
  • Suspended User
  • 364 posts

Posted 12 December 2021 - 07:41 PM

You seem to be missing or are ignoring or are unaware of the racism in the comment.

Drop the word positive....... the comment still applies.

• Brayvehart likes this

#592 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,003 posts

Posted 12 December 2021 - 07:48 PM

> > strives to bring light to social and environmental injustice by addressing how colonialism and capitalism impact modern society, a release said.

I offered one aspect of colonialism. That’s all. Could have been the same as colonialism in New Zealand or Hawaii. Nothing in my remark is racist, unless taking about colonialism and effects is in and of itself racism.

Few places in this world you won’t find colonialism and conquering of societies by others. Good - or bad - news is here you can make a career of the ongoing grievance. Few other places offer that.

Listen closely to what I say, you might be surprised how I approach things. Don’t be so quick to throw out the “racism” accusation. It’s lazy on your part.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 12 December 2021 - 07:51 PM.

• Nparker likes this

#593 Moderation

Moderation
  • Suspended User
  • 364 posts

Posted 12 December 2021 - 07:59 PM

Quote:  Well, for one, colonialism installed a society than allowed you to be appointed to this fairly well paying job in an institution that did not exist here prior to contact.

Few places in this world you won’t find colonialism and conquering of societies by others. Good - or bad - news is here you can make a career of the ongoing grievance. Few other places offer that.

..............................................................................................................................................................................................................

I rest my case with your own words and stand by my comment.. 

• Brayvehart and Victoria Watcher like this

#594 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,003 posts

Posted 12 December 2021 - 08:06 PM

> > how colonialism and capitalism impact modern society, a release said.

Are you suggesting there are no positives? Or that I suggested anything was positive?

Of course absolutely nothing about contact has been positive.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 12 December 2021 - 08:06 PM.

#595 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,003 posts

Posted 22 December 2021 - 04:11 AM

https://twitter.com/...390288542461956

• Nparker likes this

#596 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,003 posts

Posted 22 December 2021 - 07:39 AM

From this article, does anyone get any idea of what this agreement provides?  Does the reporter know?

Education agreement aims to best meet needs of Esquimalt Nation students

Deal defines roles for SD61, First Nation in improving educational outcomes

https://www.vicnews....ation-students/

The needs of Indigenous children must not be lost in a system that was founded upon colonial values, added Esquimalt Nation education director Katie Dyer.

Can anybody explain this?

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 22 December 2021 - 07:41 AM.

#597 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 82,943 posts

Posted 22 December 2021 - 07:47 AM

Is this an article you have to pay for now?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#598 Moderation

Moderation
  • Suspended User
  • 364 posts

Posted 22 December 2021 - 09:51 AM

From this article, does anyone get any idea of what this agreement provides?  Does the reporter know?

Education agreement aims to best meet needs of Esquimalt Nation students

Deal defines roles for SD61, First Nation in improving educational outcomes

https://www.vicnews....ation-students/

Good question. The author would be the best person to explain.  Difficult for most others to explain. One of the problems with shorter statements is they often leave so much not explained. The problem with long detailed explanations is that most people will not read them to the end.

#599 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,960 posts

Posted 22 December 2021 - 09:53 AM

Sounds like they want to introduce something similar to IEPs for FN kids. If it helps them why not, lots of other kids benefit from them.

#600 A Girl is No one

A Girl is No one
  • 2,495 posts

Posted 22 December 2021 - 09:57 AM

Last I read was a dispute between the teachings union who doesn’t want to do standardized testing anymore (for the children) and the rep of FN disagreed and wanted a way to track educational attainments of their children.
I don’t know what agreement they came to.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users