South Island Aboriginal and First Nations issues and discussion

• Please log in to reply
1063 replies to this topic

#821 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,492 posts

Posted 28 May 2023 - 10:56 AM

I was born on the west coast of Canada and as far as I am concerned, I am as indigenous to the region as any First Nations person born here at the same time.

Yes, I feel the same. But the Davonians will not define you as such. And those within the ranks of the first nations who like the power granted will wield it. Lucky for us the great law of peace runs counter to the desire for revenge. The legend goes that the peacemaker brought the nations out of the endless cycle of revenge.

#822 LJ

LJ
  • 12,742 posts

Posted 28 May 2023 - 07:36 PM

I guess we could all identify as indigenous and demand reparations for ourselves.

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#823 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,752 posts

Posted 28 May 2023 - 08:40 PM

More than 80% of the world's population have been settlers at some point in history.

#824 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,492 posts

Posted 28 May 2023 - 09:03 PM

Just kick the monarchy out and we are no longer colonized. Sausage fingers and his family are directly responsible for whatever has transpired. We are not responsible. Seems like a no brainer to me. So many useful idiots promoting the misdirected guilt.

#825 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 53,040 posts

Posted 03 June 2023 - 11:25 AM

What a bunch of utter garbage.

A new Indigenous pharmacy association is forging connections in health care

https://www.cbc.ca/r...-care-1.6862474

Thinking people should not give this even a glimmer of credibility.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 03 June 2023 - 11:26 AM.

#826 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 53,040 posts

Posted 14 June 2023 - 02:57 PM

New social media challenge sees mermen surface from First Nations across Manitoba

https://www.cbc.ca/n...tions-1.6874696

screenshot-www.cbc.ca-2023.06.14-18_57_16.png

screenshot-www.cbc.ca-2023.06.14-18_57_52.png

Cool, bruh.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 14 June 2023 - 02:58 PM.

• Matt R. likes this

#827 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,752 posts

Posted 14 June 2023 - 03:03 PM

:confused:

#828 LJ

LJ
  • 12,742 posts

Posted 14 June 2023 - 07:22 PM

They should challenge them to eat less.

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#829 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,345 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 14 June 2023 - 09:29 PM

If they identify as mermaids, what are their pronouns?  I wanna see them stay underwater a couple hours too.

#830 amor de cosmos

amor de cosmos

BUILD

• 7,121 posts

Posted 16 June 2023 - 07:09 AM

The federal health minister should amend the 2018 Cannabis Act to recognize First Nations' right to govern the possession, sale and distribution of cannabis on their lands, a Senate committee says.

https://www.cbc.ca/n...eform-1.6877341

#831 amor de cosmos

amor de cosmos

BUILD

• 7,121 posts

Posted 18 June 2023 - 07:40 AM

On June 8, Morning Dove Hall, a member of the Osoyoos Indian Band, danced with delight to the end of the stage after receiving her diploma.

That Thursday marked a historic moment for Hall and seven other Syilx Okanagan students, who became graduates of what the University of British Columbia Okanagan (UBCO) describes as the first bachelor's degree in the country with a major focused on an Indigenous language: the Bachelor of Nsyilxcn Language Fluency.

Hall admits she had no prior knowledge of her ancestors' language, Nsyilxcn, before enrolling in the program. A descendant of residential school survivors, she said her dance was a celebration of her family's cultural heritage.

"I wanted to dance for [them] because they carry that shame, and it doesn't have to be like that anymore — it's a time for change," she told host Sarah Penton on CBC's Radio West.

Nsyilxcn, an endangered language, is spoken by the Okanagan Nation peoples, including bands in the Lower Similkameen, Okanagan, Osoyoos, Penticton and West Bank. According to the latest census data, only 185 individuals in Canada speak Nsyilxcn as their first language.

UBCO's program is part of a $2-million initiative by the B.C. government to establish academic programs focused on Indigenous language fluency across the province.

*snip*

Jeannette Armstrong, a knowledge keeper of the Syilx First Nation and associate professor of Indigenous studies at UBCO, said the BNLF program has brought joy and increased confidence among students in communicating with their elders in Nsyilxcn.

"I could see the reason that Dove danced across the stage, because it's joyful and important to our identity and to who we are," Armstrong said.

B.C.'s Ministry of Post-Secondary Education and Future Skills has approved UBCO's plan to create two more bachelor's degree programs in St'át'imc and Nłeʔkepmx language fluency.

The ministry also says the University of Victoria has submitted an application to create a Bachelor of Arts degree program in Indigenous language proficiency.

https://www.cbc.ca/n...ation-1.6879678

Edited by amor de cosmos, 18 June 2023 - 07:41 AM.

#832 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,014 posts

Posted 18 June 2023 - 07:53 AM

The federal health minister should amend the 2018 Cannabis Act to recognize First Nations' right to govern the possession, sale and distribution of cannabis on their lands, a Senate committee says.

https://www.cbc.ca/n...eform-1.6877341

Right. I can see FN bands happily deciding to give up their own unregulated, untaxed cannabis (and tobacco for that matter) operations in order to join a Federal program and share tax revenue with the Government!

#833 amor de cosmos

amor de cosmos

BUILD

• 7,121 posts

Posted 22 June 2023 - 07:41 AM

The Tsawout First Nation, located 20 kilometres north of Victoria, B.C., has declared an Indigenous Protected and Conserved Area (IPCA) for 155 kilometres of ocean in its traditional waters. 

The area will be called QEN'T Marine Protected Area. QEN'T — pronounced "qwant" — means "to be looking after," "caring for," or "protecting something or someone" in SENĆOŦEN.

tsawout-first-nation-ipca.jpg

https://www.cbc.ca/n...-area-1.6884656

#834 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,492 posts

Posted 22 June 2023 - 08:12 PM

Now that’s some serious sh*t disturbing!

#835 amor de cosmos

amor de cosmos

BUILD

• 7,121 posts

Posted 27 June 2023 - 07:40 AM

When they stop for a break, guide Heather Black leads the group through a smudge ceremony, followed by a snack of Alberta-made pemmican strips.

The trip was a trial run for a new type of tour offered through Black's guided hiking business, Buffalo Stone Woman Iinisskimmaakii.

Demand for that side of her business is already strong — "I need another Heather" to keep up, she jokes — but after connecting with a Banff-based bike tour operator, the two joined forces to take Black's tour out on two wheels. She says that trial run was a success. 

Black, an avid hiker, was inspired to start her business after hearing from others out on the trail who were interested in learning about how Indigenous people connect to the land. She said demand is high for Indigenous tourism in the Rocky Mountains — a trend that's also unfolding across the country.

https://www.cbc.ca/n...-back-1.6888662

#836 max.bravo

max.bravo
  • 1,935 posts

Posted 02 July 2023 - 12:45 PM

I noticed a new territorial acknowledgment on Island Health website today. This is some of the finest virtue signaling I’ve seen yet.

https://www.islandhe...thopedic-clinic

TERRITORIAL ACKNOWLEDGEMENT

Before Canada and BC were formed, Indigenous peoples lived in balance and interconnectedness with the land and water in which the necessities of life are provided.

Health disparities persist, which are due to the impacts of colonization and Indigenous-specific racism.

Healthy lands, healthy people.

Island Health acknowledges and recognizes these homelands and the stewardship of Indigenous peoples of this land; it is with humility we continue to work toward building our relationship.

#837 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,558 posts

Posted 02 July 2023 - 01:00 PM

I’m not allowing the posts above (hidden from view now), unless you both change your usernames to your real names.
  • Victoria Watcher likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#838 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,752 posts

Posted 02 July 2023 - 01:05 PM

Yowza!

#839 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,492 posts

Posted 02 July 2023 - 01:37 PM

Or charge $8?
  • Matt R. likes this

#840 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,492 posts

Posted 02 July 2023 - 01:39 PM

My post was on topic and historically accurate. I’ll post a link without my opinion associated.
https://www.thecanad...women-in-canada

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users