Photo

Victoria building deathwatch

• Please log in to reply
68 replies to this topic

#61 D.L.

D.L.
  • 7,786 posts

Posted 06 October 2007 - 08:09 PM

the insides of the old Spirit of Christmas store are for sale - http://www.usedvicto... ... -equipment

#62 aastra

aastra
  • 20,763 posts

Posted 11 October 2007 - 04:42 PM

Check out this before and after story (Putney Wharf in London):
http://www.homedesig...tower/tower.htm

And speaking of modern glass additions to historic buildings, check out The Boathouse pub. They did a great job of working the new section into the original brewery and warehouse. This is the sort of thing Victoria should be doing in spades:

#63 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,510 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 20 October 2008 - 02:46 PM

Yes, good affordable housing candidate.

Here's the back end:

Good 1947 night view of what's now "Sound Hounds":

I live right next to the Sound Hounds building and would love to see it restored to something nicer than what it is. Call me a "NIMBY" but I am not so sure I want to see it as affordable housing for the poor, but perhaps a good place for UVIC students to stay.

I do worry about how safe it is for the residents in an earthquake, however.

#64 North Shore

North Shore
  • 2,169 posts

Posted 20 October 2008 - 03:07 PM

Has Ms. Kramer suffered an aneurism or something... The Janion is up for sale! Finally, something will happen to that ugly mess (building is ok, just in terrible shape) perhaps Northern Junk won't be too far behind..
Aneurism in terms of it seemed that Ms. K was determined to blight the downtown forever with her crappy real estate, but now something has changed..what?

#65 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,014 posts

Posted 20 October 2008 - 03:10 PM

Has Ms. Kramer suffered an aneurism or something... The Janion is up for sale! Finally, something will happen to that ugly mess (building is ok, just in terrible shape) perhaps Northern Junk won't be too far behind..
Aneurism in terms of it seemed that Ms. K was determined to blight the downtown forever with her crappy real estate, but now something has changed..what?

Don't get too excited. Last time I checked the asking price was 4x the assessed value! The city agreed to defer its decision to designate the properties as heritage buildings when Ms. Kramer said she was listing the buildings for sale.

Sounds like the usual Kramer antics to me.

#66 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 20 October 2008 - 04:44 PM

There's a "Kramer buildings" thread about it in the Historical section of the forum.

#67 Coreyburger

Coreyburger
  • 2,864 posts

Posted 21 October 2008 - 05:33 AM

The problem with the Fort/Oak Bay area is that sidewalks are too narrow and the roads too busy to allow good walkby traffic. Given the roads busyness is a function of how wide it is, narrowing it would not only remove traffic, it would allow for larger sidewalks that would encourage people to walk around and thus encourage redevelopment

#68 FunkyMunky

FunkyMunky
  • 416 posts

Posted 24 January 2009 - 06:10 PM

The dentist's office on Fairfield Road, on the corner of Arnold Avenue, is vacant and up for sale. It's next door to Fairfield Villa. I'm not sure what the provenance of the building is but it has a funky 60's vibe.

#69 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 24 January 2009 - 07:00 PM

Can't say I would be sad to see it go.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users