• Please log in to reply
68 replies to this topic

#21 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 24 October 2006 - 08:51 AM

^Very Zen.
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#22 Galvanized

Galvanized
  • 1,196 posts

Posted 24 October 2006 - 09:23 AM

^^^^It was bought by Andrew Sheret. My guess is it will be retail at the front and the trades would be at the back on Market St.
Past President of Victoria's Flâneur Union Local 1862

#23 Oxford Sutherland

Oxford Sutherland
  • 522 posts

Posted 26 October 2006 - 11:48 PM

I'm putting The Roxy on the deathwatch list

#24 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 26 October 2006 - 11:51 PM

What? Never!
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."

#25 FunkyMunky

FunkyMunky
  • 416 posts

Posted 27 October 2006 - 01:05 AM

The junction where Oak Bay Avenue, Pandora Avenue and Fort Street meet could be so much more. Despite it being well located and a short 20 or 25 minute walk to a large number of shops and services, the Sound Hounds building is a big disappointment. It makes me sad every time I travel past it so I nominate this tired edifice for a rebirth.

The Junction Confectionary in 1947 when it was a neighbourhood attraction (love the neon sign) but the building was no more attractive then either.

#26 Galvanized

Galvanized
  • 1,196 posts

Posted 27 October 2006 - 12:58 PM

^I'm just waiting for Sound Hounds to go under. Once that happens I'm sure we'll see something happen with that building.

#27 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 27 October 2006 - 01:04 PM

^Perhaps. Sound Hounds has a pretty loyal clientele and its been there for a while. On the other hand, why haven't they leased out the barber shop on the opposite side? I think the landlord is conducting "demolition by neglect". It's shameful the deterioration that building has experienced just in the last few years. That vintage photo is great, by the way.

#28 Galvanized

Galvanized
  • 1,196 posts

Posted 17 July 2007 - 09:54 AM

I saw some scaffolding in front of this building and a couple of peeps standing around and pointing to the exterior/talking... Could something be up with a restoration?

#29 Ms. B. Havin

Ms. B. Havin
  • 5,052 posts

Posted 17 July 2007 - 03:39 PM

It would be great to see this building restored. Recently, I thought it's starting to look like mould is coming through the stucco under the windows on the upper storeys. (Maybe it's just normal discoloration... but whatever, it looks terrible.) There are some cute little apartments in that building -- tiny studios with Murphy beds built in, but access to back porches, too. IMO that's the sort of project that should get a tax incentive for restoration, to continue to provide affordable rental housing.
When you buy a game, you buy the rules. Play happens in the space between the rules.

#30 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 17 July 2007 - 04:10 PM

...There are some cute little apartments in that building -- tiny studios with Murphy beds built in, but access to back porches, too....

Yes, good affordable housing candidate.

Here's the back end:

Good 1947 night view of what's now "Sound Hounds":

#31 Galvanized

Galvanized
  • 1,196 posts

Posted 17 July 2007 - 10:48 PM

That scaffolding is gone now so I guess it was some sort of quick repair.

#32 Galvanized

Galvanized
  • 1,196 posts

Posted 27 July 2007 - 10:16 AM

They've now painted both sides of the building but it looks to me that those sections in front below the windows need new stucco, we'll see if they go that far (I hope so).

#33 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 27 July 2007 - 11:18 AM

The unit on the end that's been vacant for years (Figaro Barbers) is going to be a model train store. BTW, the name of this building is the Mt. Douglas Apartments.

#34 Baro

Baro
  • 4,317 posts

Posted 27 July 2007 - 01:41 PM

MODEL TRAIN STORE?!?!?!??!

**** YEAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!111111111111111111111111111111

Where'd you hear this?!????????11111111111111

We've got only 2 decent train stores anywhere near Victoria. BC shavers is over-priced and has shitty service. Bob took me to one way out past wallmart that was great but it's so far for me as a non-driver.

A hobby shop RIGHT by my house? Christ I better start making more money. IF this is a decent store that is.
"beats greezy have baked donut-dough"

#35 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 27 July 2007 - 02:05 PM

I heard this directly from the grizzled old proprietor himself, who was in the midst of preparing his shop.

#36 Ms. B. Havin

Ms. B. Havin
  • 5,052 posts

Posted 27 July 2007 - 02:07 PM

Oh wow! Well, Baro, I know a couple of really big kids (more than twice your age, in other words) who'll be thrilled by this. The guy doing the store might be tapping into something here...
When you buy a game, you buy the rules. Play happens in the space between the rules.

#37 Caramia

Caramia
  • 3,835 posts

Posted 29 July 2007 - 02:03 PM

/HAPPY SNOOPY DANCE
Model train store! Near my house too!
Hey Baro, someday we need to introduce ourselves since we are neighbours and I bet you have good toys.
Nowadays most people die of a sort of creeping common sense, and discover when it is too late that the only things one never regrets are one's mistakes.
Oscar Wilde (1854 - 1900), The Picture of Dorian Gray, 1891

#38 ressen

ressen
  • 539 posts

Posted 15 August 2007 - 08:22 PM

924 esquimalt rd.

before

after

#39 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 15 August 2007 - 08:24 PM

^ Classic!

Stephen Andrew was talking on CFAX today, bemoaning the loss of 17 rental units of housing. He wondered why the landlord was not required to come in, on two hours notice, to clean feces from the floor. OK, I'm pretty sure no one moved in with feces on the floor, so I'm not sure why the landlord has to fix that.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#40 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 15 August 2007 - 09:34 PM

The landlord wants to tear the whole mess down and build condos.

[url=http://www.canada.com/victoriatimescolonist/news/story.html?id=2841d044-14e3-42a2-b8f5-77b3dec799a3&k=65823:dd1a5]Four rental buildings condemned[/url:dd1a5]

Nitpick: I think that was Murray Langdon on C-FAX today.

Yeh, later on they had Saanich Mayor Frank Leonard on and he was talking about how condo development in downtown is forcing low-income people out of their housing and I'm like, (I keep a little WTF flag handy by the radio).

Who's tearing down low cost housing downtown?

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users