BUILT
The Hudson Mews
Uses: rental, commercial
Address: 780 Fisgard Street
Municipality: Victoria
Region: Downtown Victoria
Storeys: 12
The Hudson Mews is a 12-storey rental tower with ground floor commercial space. Developed by Vancouver- and Ri... (view full profile)
Learn more about the Hudson Mews on Citified.ca
Photo

[Downtown Victoria] The Hudson Mews | Rentals | HBC redevelopment; Phase II | 12-storeys | Built - completed in 2014

Rental Commercial

• Please log in to reply
530 replies to this topic

#81 jklymak

jklymak
  • 3,514 posts

Posted 20 April 2010 - 04:41 PM

The culture/nightlife of many smaller Mexican towns puts even large North American cities to shame. Canada and the United States cannot be compared to a nation that has a very different approach to culture and engagement in public spaces.

The two biggest differences being 1) that many Mexicans cannot afford cars or if they can, they cannot afford as much gasoline. 2) Mexico is, in general, an older place.

#82 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 20 April 2010 - 10:20 PM

To be honest, I can't remember if I have the most recent renderings for this building. I have a huge stack of Hudson stuff going back years.

I do have pictures of the model:

#83 Baro

Baro
  • 4,317 posts

Posted 20 April 2010 - 10:47 PM

I actually kinda like the shorter building, totally depends on the finishing materials but the massing feels ok for the street. The other towers though... not a single window and an entire monolithic wood finish? I know we chastised the atrium for getting rid of the exterior wood but this is a ridiculous counter move.
"beats greezy have baked donut-dough"

#84 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 20 April 2010 - 10:56 PM

^No, the other towers are just rough renderings at this point.

EDIT: oh, it's a joke.

#85 Szeven

Szeven
  • 1,199 posts

Posted 21 April 2010 - 05:51 AM

There is a lot of Hudson stuff on the Land Use Planning Committee meeting agenda tomorrow at 9am. I assume there will be lots of pictures there.

#86 D.L.

D.L.
  • 7,786 posts

Posted 21 April 2010 - 12:11 PM

Aewsome Rob! Thanks for the look!

#87 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,552 posts

Posted 19 July 2010 - 03:13 PM

There doesn't appear to be any activity on this project. Today the pit was being used as a staging ground for glass destined for the retail portion of The Hudson.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#88 D.L.

D.L.
  • 7,786 posts

Posted 28 August 2010 - 12:15 PM

Although the tower crane has been up for several months, it doesn't look like any actual construction has taken place yet. Perhaps the developers are waiting until the Hudson lofts are finished before moving on to the rental tower.

My pic from today

#89 LJ

LJ
  • 12,742 posts

Posted 28 August 2010 - 06:39 PM

Don't like the way that crane is bent, that can't be good.
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#90 D.L.

D.L.
  • 7,786 posts

Posted 28 August 2010 - 07:00 PM

Those buildings are bent too.

#91 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,552 posts

Posted 28 August 2010 - 08:57 PM

Hudson Mews is expected to start in late 2010.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#92 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 14 September 2010 - 11:00 PM

Hudson’s affordable housing financing dropped

By Robert Randall • Published on Tuesday, September 14, 2010

A complex partnership designed to bring new, subsidized apartments to lower-income families and individuals at Downtown’s Hudson complex has been scrapped after one of the group got cold feet and dropped out. The Fisgard Street highrise will instead be built as market rental housing without the help of BC Housing financing.

#93 martini

martini
  • 2,670 posts

Posted 14 September 2010 - 11:05 PM

^Why am I not surprised?

#94 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 14 September 2010 - 11:12 PM

The average "per door" cost was around a quarter million dollars. I've talked to a few developers who say affordable housing should cost way less.

I admit I am conflicted. I know it's cheaper to warehouse them at Traveller's Inns but I also see the worth of having a few small subsidized suites in high-end complexes to add diversity.

#95 martini

martini
  • 2,670 posts

Posted 14 September 2010 - 11:24 PM

Well I was cynical from the beginning. It smelled like a bailout disguised as 'affordable housing'. Now what has happened to the $32 million Fortin and Coleman were throwing around?

#96 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 14 September 2010 - 11:37 PM

Now what has happened to the $32 million Fortin and Coleman were throwing around?

Presumably, $2.5 million went to the Traveller's Inn purchase last week. The rest, I don't know. The City's $800,000 grant, I'm not sure about that either. I will try to find out.

If I had a wish, the money would be used to fix up the Caldwell Apartments.

#97 martini

martini
  • 2,670 posts

Posted 14 September 2010 - 11:58 PM

^That grant money should be accounted for. Both.

It makes sense to convert existing properties like the one you suggested.

Pacifica Housing has done just that, and seems to do it well.

Coleman and Fortin got B.C. Housing involved in a less than Kosher deal. They had to pull out. Especially considering this project did not go to public tender.

It was a behind closed doors deal. Which tends to be a common M.O. in this town.

#98 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 15 September 2010 - 03:11 AM

The average "per door" cost was around a quarter million dollars. I've talked to a few developers who say affordable housing should cost way less.

I admit I am conflicted. I know it's cheaper to warehouse them at Traveller's Inns but I also see the worth of having a few small subsidized suites in high-end complexes to add diversity.

Wouldn't it be easier to give qualified people a $250 or whatever rent subsidy, and they can choose wherever they want to live, as long as the landlord signs off a true statement of rent charged? You know, like how most people live, picking and choosing the housing that suits them the very best in terms of style, quality, price and location, not stuffing them all in one building the government deems to be the one you have to live in if you want cheaper rent?

How does Townline expect to build a building of that size with market rents? Can't be done, we all know it doesn't work.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#99 martini

martini
  • 2,670 posts

Posted 15 September 2010 - 06:19 AM

Wouldn't it be easier to give qualified people a $250 or whatever rent subsidy, and they can choose wherever they want to live, as long as the landlord signs off a true statement of rent charged? You know, like how most people live, picking and choosing the housing that suits them the very best in terms of style, quality, price and location, not stuffing them all in one building the government deems to be the one you have to live in if you want cheaper rent?

How does Townline expect to build a building of that size with market rents? Can't be done, we all know it doesn't work.

Agree

http://www.bchousing.org/programs/RAP
To qualify, families must have a gross household income of $35,000 or less, have at least one dependent child, and have been employed at some point over the last year.

#100 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,148 posts

Posted 15 September 2010 - 06:31 AM

^ What effect does anyone feel this might have on the sales of the Hudson? Higher prices?

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users