Photo

[Trans Canada Highway] McKenzie Interchange - McKenzie Avenue, Admirals Road and TCH

• Please log in to reply
2245 replies to this topic

#81 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,559 posts

Posted 23 August 2011 - 08:09 AM

The highway interchange is a purely provincial government decision. There is nothing Saanich could say about it because the province already has all the land. There is no need to consult with anyone.

This intersection is likely on some list of to-do's and is getting closer to reality as projects are completed. HWY1/Mackenzie must be the single largest bottleneck on the south Island and needs to be addressed purely for the sake of connecting the western communities/south Island with the Saanich Peninsula, YYJ and the Swartz Bay.

I imagine one of the reasons why nothing has happened here is the sheer cost of building the interchange. Obviously a traditional intersection with traffic lights won't fly considering the volume of traffic turning east off of the 1 so we'd be looking at a combination of flyovers and traffic circles to keep the heavy volume of traffic flowing. I can't imagine that this would cost anywhere south of $40-million.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#82 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,559 posts

Posted 23 August 2011 - 09:20 AM

...on top of that, HWY1 connects the General Hospital which makes one wonder how many people headed for emergency care are stuck in traffic.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#83 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 23 August 2011 - 10:04 AM

I am learning the hassle of trying to get to VGH from my home during rush hour this week and last week. It sucks for Victoria, but in Vancouver would not be considered worth comment on as a traffic problem.

#84 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 23 August 2011 - 11:17 AM

I imagine one of the reasons why nothing has happened here is the sheer cost of building the interchange. I can't imagine that this would cost anywhere south of $40-million.

Or around half the cost of the new Johnson Street Bridge. Too bad the interchange wasn't the target for the stimulus money.

#85 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,559 posts

Posted 23 August 2011 - 11:54 AM

I am learning the hassle of trying to get to VGH from my home during rush hour this week and last week. It sucks for Victoria, but in Vancouver would not be considered worth comment on as a traffic problem.

I don't know how you can say that bumper to bumper congestion spanning 5.5km between Finlayson and McKenzie on a daily basis is "not worth comment on as a traffic problem." And on busy Friday afternoons congestion occurs in two parts, the second being between the Spencer Road intersection and Thetis Lake.

Most Victorian's consider congestion at the Massey Tunnel to be extreme. But traffic only backs up on a regular basis no more than 2.5 km on the southern approach and between 4 and 5km on the northern approach. If you qualify for HOV, you're rarely, if ever, backed up at all. I know this because I used to commute on the 99.

We can downplay Victoria issues where they are really blown out of proportion, but the Colwood Crawl IS a major issue in Victoria and it would be as big of a traffic issue on the mainland as other heavily congested routes. Just because the crawl is in Victoria and not on the mainland doesn't make it any less of a priority.

Know it all.

#86 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,759 posts

Posted 23 August 2011 - 02:44 PM

Just because the crawl is in Victoria and not on the mainland doesn't make it any less of a priority.

Except that this "priority" happens to be in ridings currently held by the NDP.

#87 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,508 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 23 August 2011 - 04:05 PM

And if you want to win Liberal votes there, you build the interchange.

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#88 LJ

LJ
  • 12,742 posts

Posted 23 August 2011 - 07:16 PM

^Oh you poor misguided soul. That's not how things get done in Canada, first you elect, then you get rewarded. (Quebec, of course, is exempt from this rule);)
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#89 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 23 August 2011 - 09:37 PM

Perhaps it is time for the CRD to pull together and fund an interchange that benefits several municipalities. This is a "lifeline" highway and it would be nice if the Province and the Feds helped to pay for it, but the best before date is up, waiting for that to happen.

#90 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,559 posts

Posted 24 August 2011 - 06:47 AM

It's painfully clear why it hasn't been funded, but part of the problem is the Liberal's won't act unless a squeaky wheel emerges. When was the last time the Crawl was a political issue that got nonstop traction by the media? Other than De Souza raising the issue as part of his platform (or rather, it was his platform) the CRD and local governments don't seem to care. The Province will act at some point but the question is whether we want them to act now or later.

Know it all.

#91 UrbanRail

UrbanRail
  • 2,114 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 25 August 2011 - 05:53 PM

The Liberals could play their cards well by:

• immediately building the two interchanges,
  • delaying the LRT until the effects on traffic congestion could be monitored. Buses would be sped up at the intersections and queue-jumpers and bus lanes (lrt convertible?) would make transit more efficient.
Christy Clark could claim that the Liberals are at least starting to move on Vancouver Island projects (along with the E & N study/$ 7 million). Also, the hugely costly lrt could be delayed and likely moth-balled. Clark would have a wedge issue, taking on the Victoria NDP who are split against the interchanges. The interchanges (at least Mackenzie) would alleviate congestion because traffic is dispersed beyond this choke-point, not just moved to a single grade-level interchange down the road as prominent NDP representatives in the area keep repeating.

The Clark-style consultative style of government works at times, but the project put forward by BC Transit is so irresponsible, she would be better to over-ride it and move forward with the above suggestion alone (wholly provincially funded).

Its untlikely the interchange will be built within the next 3 years. As for the E&N, condsidering it will take 4 years for LRT to start running, it makes sense to upgrade the line now for commuter rail. The line needs more than just a bandaid type of funding.

#92 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 25 August 2011 - 10:02 PM

As for the E&N, condsidering it will take 4 years for LRT to start running, it makes sense to upgrade the line now for commuter rail. The line needs more than just a bandaid type of funding.

Besides upgrading all the tracks, the line needs improved level crossings, and it needs to go somewhere, like into town.

#93 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,559 posts

Posted 27 August 2011 - 07:50 AM

Yesterday at about 6:30PM I was coming back from the Cowichan Valley and had an opportunity to film the "second Colwood crawl" along HWY 1. Bumper to bumper traffic extended from Savory Road just past the Spencer intersection to well before the Millstream overpass, or approximately a distance of 2.2km. Again, that's at 6:30PM, and one can only wonder what the situation looked like at 5PM.

Know it all.

#94 mininari

mininari
  • 6 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 09:24 AM

I've just moved to the CRD, and I'm in 'first impression mode' so forgive me if I'm missing something from the discussion years ago, but here's my idea for a quick fix at MacKenzie and Highway 1.

This doesn't address all movements, but the worst part of this intersection, in my mind, is the 'uselessness' of MacKenzie Ave for accessing Hwy 1. Westbound MacKenzie is completely locked up as the right lane is meant for Hwy 1 access -- except everyone is darting along the left lane and cutting in, meaning the right lane barely moves. So either you're a !@#$@hole, or you're stuck.

So, make the right turn onto Hwy 1 a double-right turn lane with a right-turn signal? No one is turning right on the red anyway, since thru-traffic from Hwy 1 is heavy. I'm not sure how far back along MacKenzie this lane could be extended, but it could make it possible to have both lanes on MacKenzie feed into both turn lanes, hence taking away the ' ... cutting in front of the line' factor.

As it is now, the right-turn / short merge there is useless. So either extend the merge lane into an auxillary lane to Helmcken (expensive), or make a double-right.

Or build the damn interchange. But on this note, it will only move the problem to other intersections... which then begs for a 'system-wide' upgrade which turns into hundreds of millions, and simply promotes more traffic and car usage. I don't think thats necessary; the potential for LRT from Victoria to the Westshore is HUGE (given there is an existing railroad screaming for train transit). However, I also think SOME kind of effort needs to be make at Hwy 1 and MacKenzie, politics aside.

#95 Kach

Kach

SteveK

• 277 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 09:55 AM

So, make the right turn onto Hwy 1 a double-right turn lane with a right-turn signal? No one is turning right on the red anyway, since thru-traffic from Hwy 1 is heavy. I'm not sure how far back along MacKenzie this lane could be extended, but it could make it possible to have both lanes on MacKenzie feed into both turn lanes, hence taking away the ' ... cutting in front of the line' factor.

First off, welcome to the forum and Victoria.

The suggestion would sure help traffic on Mackenzie, but wouldn't do anything for traffic on Hwy 1. Not sure if there is much appetite to do anything here except build an interchange. As for system wide improvements, the only other thing in my opinion that would be required is to eliminate thru traffic at Tillicum by removing left turns across traffic.

#96 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 10:19 AM

Welcome to the forum Mininari! Your suggestion would likely help a bit and since there is not going to be an interchange there for some time it may help. Of course Hwy 1 used to be much worse. When i moved here there were two more lights between Langford and Victoria so things have improved in the last twenty years.

On a different note I am wondering why Hwy 17 between Haliburton and Uptown is still 80km/h rather than the 90 they have instituted between Sidney and Mt. Newtown X Road.

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#97 mininari

mininari
  • 6 posts

Posted 01 January 2014 - 05:41 PM

Hello, thanks for the welcome.  Woah, sorry for the long delay in replying.

Looks like this thread is pretty dead... I guess we're not expecting any action on this interchange anytime soon, especially with the liberals priming to funnel another $3B into a new George Massey Tunnel in Vancouver.  Guess we don't vote the right way here.

Anyway, I think that a double-right turn from McKenzie would alleviate a lot of frustration for those trying to to use the 'express' way from hwy 17 to hwy 1.  Considering the tourist trafffic that may want to go up-island from the Ferry Terminal, the ridiculous queue that forms to turn right there (exacerbated by the burnside light and turning traffic) is embarassing.  At least a double-right turn lane would allow traffic to flow onto both Hwy 1 lanes, and also improve safety there for westbound through-traffic on Hwy 1-- If I am travelling Westbound (from downtown), I am making a habit of changing to the left lane so I don't slam into the guy in front of me who is braking for the merging traffic, which themselves have little room to get up to speed. 

An alternate, but more expensive option would be to simply build a 3rd westbound lane starting at McKenzie, but I guess that would require some expensive rock work. 

At this rate, might as well build the interchange.

Another safety issue a little down the road is the 'weave' that happens at the Helmcken onramp / Old Island Hwy exit.  Why don't they just make the exit ramp to OIH a double-lane exit (like eastbound exit to Helmcken) -- the right-hand auxillary lane exits, and the middle lane has the OPTION of exiting as well, or continuing onward.  There seems to be a LOT of weaving at this location, and some minor pavement widening and paint would do the trick here.  I guess this is a nothing-issue on the radar for highway improvements though!

Edited by mininari, 01 January 2014 - 05:42 PM.

#98 malabrat

malabrat
  • 29 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 11:47 AM

This project may have life after all. During yesterday's Malahat phase 2 annoucement - Todd Stone - Transportation minister was asked about an interchange at McKenzie and the TCH. He said "There is serious consideration going into an overpass at Mckenzie and the transcanada as well as other points on southern vancouver island."

I hope this is not just hot air

Edited by malabrat, 11 April 2014 - 12:22 PM.

• Ben likes this

#99 Danma

Danma
  • 889 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 03:20 PM

"There is serious consideration going into an overpass at Mckenzie and the transcanada as well as other points on southern vancouver island."

I hope this is not just hot air

Crossing my fingers. Please bring us sweet sweet interchange goodness.

#100 thundergun

thundergun
  • 1,172 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 11 April 2014 - 03:39 PM

If this interchange were to happen, what are the chances the light still remains at Tillicum? I don't travel through there very often but feel that the few that use that light could be routed elsewhere for the greater good of the highway.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users