Photo

[Trans Canada Highway] McKenzie Interchange - McKenzie Avenue, Admirals Road and TCH

• Please log in to reply
2245 replies to this topic

#121 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,806 posts

Posted 08 October 2014 - 12:30 PM

It's not a big issue and it's definitely not causing the Colwood crawl.

Damn all of those silver-hairs, just now entering retirement (at what, age 75?). And damn them for riding their increasing property values until their deaths, at which point they apparently pass their great wealth on to their cats rather than to their human heirs.

Offended. I went "silver" in my 20's.
  • Dr. Barillas and cathawk like this

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#122 Danma

Danma
  • 889 posts

Posted 08 October 2014 - 12:49 PM

You know, that comment actually started with a good premise, which is: "why has the west shore grown so much?" which would typically bring up a conversation about affordability, about supply and demand, about the expectations and aspirations of home ownership, about the future of family-friendly higher-density housing such as townhomes, lofts, 3+ bedroom condos.. about work/live units, about decentralizing employment centers to avoid the 'radial city' problems etc etc etc.

But no, it's because all the houses in town are being squatted in by their elderly owners. Sigh. So close, but yet so far.

• sebberry, Jill, jonny and 1 other like this

#123 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,617 posts

Posted 08 October 2014 - 01:47 PM

Look at it this way, some of us will never have that pleasure at any age.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#124 aastra

aastra
  • 20,763 posts

Posted 08 October 2014 - 02:22 PM

I suppose it depends on what we mean by "silver-haired". We should have a round table for this at VVCon 2015.

#125 aastra

aastra
  • 20,763 posts

Posted 08 October 2014 - 02:31 PM

You know, that comment actually started with a good premise, which is: "why has the west shore grown so much?"

Sure, it's a fair question. There were some fair questions buried in that infamous article about empty condo units, too. But the answers to these questions tend to be absurd. Usually there's a villainous somebody (somebody else, of course) that's responsible for all of the horror.

#126 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 01 April 2015 - 08:39 AM

The details of the project were announced today

• Daveyboy likes this

#127 splashflash

splashflash
  • 246 posts

Posted 01 April 2015 - 09:03 AM

The details of the project were announced today

Is this an April Fool's joke, Bernard?
  • Daveyboy likes this

#128 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,515 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 01 April 2015 - 09:07 AM

Wow, that Craigflower Village has some pull with the province, eh?

• Bernard and tedward like this

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#129 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 01 April 2015 - 10:25 AM

Is it an April Fool's Joke?  Consider it calls for 

From November 30 until July 2017, when the intersection is scheduled to be complete, McKenzie Avenue will be closed between Highway 1 and Burnside Road West and Admirals Road will be closed between Highway 1 and Gorge Road West, with the exception for local traffic. Highway 1 will be closed between Helmcken Road and McKenzie Avenue from January 26, 2016 until July 2017. Access for emergency vehicles will not be affected. Up-to-date travel information will be available at www.drivebc.ca.

#130 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 01 April 2015 - 10:25 AM

not that this closure would have much impact on my life

#131 Jason-L

Jason-L
  • 1,257 posts

Posted 01 April 2015 - 11:17 AM

Nothing on www.newsroom.gov.bc.ca yet, where you'd expect to see something like this reported.  Suggests an April Fools.

• Mixed365 likes this

#132 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 01 April 2015 - 11:36 AM

Nothing on www.newsroom.gov.bc.ca yet, where you'd expect to see something like this reported.  Suggests an April Fools.

Yes, very much so

#133 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,617 posts

Posted 01 April 2015 - 01:25 PM

It's just a twitter joke. We can all settle down now :)

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#134 http

http

Data Sans Practicality

• 1,029 posts

Posted 02 April 2015 - 09:15 AM

If only people were as critical of reporting the other 364 days of the year.

• Nparker, Bernard, tedward and 1 other like this
"Who are those slashdot people? They swept over like Mongol-Tartars." - F. E. Vladimirovna

#135 amor de cosmos

amor de cosmos

BUILD

• 7,123 posts

Posted 25 April 2015 - 03:36 PM

B.C. says it’s moving rapidly on McKenzie interchange plans
Lindsay Kines / Times Colonist
April 25, 2015 06:00 AM

The B.C. government is moving ahead rapidly with plans for a long-awaited overpass to ease congestion at McKenzie Avenue and the Trans-Canada Highway, Transportation Minister Todd Stone has told the legislature.

“The No. 1 bottleneck in British Columbia, outside of the George Massey Tunnel, is right here on Vancouver Island at that particular location, at McKenzie,” he said.

Stone said engineering and technical work is underway to identify possible options for an interchange.

Once the province has something to present, it will consult closely with the District of Saanich and other partners, he said in response to a question from NDP MLA Rob Fleming.

“I actually met with Mayor [Richard] Atwell only a couple of weeks ago, made that commitment to him face to face,” Stone said.

“We are moving, I believe, at a fairly rapid pace with respect to this particular project.”

Saanich wrote to Stone this year asking him to set up a working group of citizens and experts to assist with planning. A similar group helped drive improvements to the intersection of Sayward Road and the Patricia Bay Highway.

“We’re hoping to replicate that model that brings the community interests and concerns to the table and to try to raise the priority level of this project,” said Atwell, who described his initial meeting with Stone as “very positive.”

The government has indicated previously that the McKenzie interchange could cost from $80 million to $100 million, and Stone said he has flagged the project as requiring support from the Building Canada Fund.

“I have indicated it’s a priority for British Columbia, and we’re strongly encouraging the federal government to come to the table to participate as a funding partner on this particular project,” he said.

Bruce Carter, chief executive officer of the Greater Victoria Chamber of Commerce, said that, while he appreciates what the government is doing behind the scenes, he’ll believe the project is moving forward when there is a funding announcement.

http://www.timescolo...plans-1.1865016

#136 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 25 April 2015 - 03:49 PM

It's about time...

IMG_7124.jpg

• AllseeingEye likes this

#137 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,635 posts

Posted 25 April 2015 - 06:39 PM

I am by no means the biggest Bruce Carter booster in the world but I agree with him on this; what else are the Libs going to say in this regard? "Sorry but until the South Island starts electing some of our guys we're going to ignore this obvious transportation bottleneck in the capital city of the province?" I'll believe it when they formally announce that specifically "x" dollars have been allocated and approved and when we see a photo op with Todd Stone shaking hands with the City while presenting it with one of those over-sized lottery-style cheques. Otherwise it's all just feel good piffle for the benefit of the local media.....

• Nparker, spanky123 and Bingo like this

#138 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,617 posts

Posted 25 April 2015 - 08:46 PM

I've lost count of the number of times we've had discussions on just how bad the congestion is along HWY 1, and we now know it's the worst problem other than the Massey Tunnel situation (which is being dealt with).

Crazy that it'll cost $100 million, but I guess that means we won't get the nonsense that's out at the airport.

Know it all.

#139 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 25 April 2015 - 09:12 PM

I've lost count of the number of times we've had discussions on just how bad the congestion is along HWY 1, and we now know it's the worst problem other than the Massey Tunnel situation (which is being dealt with).

Crazy that it'll cost $100 million, but I guess that means we won't get the nonsense that's out at the airport.

To put that into infrastructure interchange perspective, that figure is still cheaper than the new Johnson Street Bridge.

• rjag and sebberry like this

#140 laconic

laconic
  • 741 posts

Posted 26 April 2015 - 04:33 AM

To be fair, removing cyclists and pedestrians from consideration in the new interchange will save 50%. They don't pay (gas) taxes after all.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users