Photo

[Trans Canada Highway] McKenzie Interchange - McKenzie Avenue, Admirals Road and TCH

• Please log in to reply
2245 replies to this topic

#1581 manuel

manuel
  • 595 posts

Posted 29 July 2018 - 07:30 PM

Bus only?
"I know nothing"

#1582 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,676 posts

Posted 30 July 2018 - 08:27 AM

That might be it. There’s supposed to be an exchange in that location, no?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#1583 Cats4Hire

Cats4Hire
  • 1,393 posts

Posted 30 July 2018 - 11:15 AM

Unless they're going to pull the westshore routes up Carey (and then Ravine, Blanshard/Vernon, Saanich, back to Douglas) that seems like a lot of resources to make it so the 30/31 don't have to turn on Blanshard/Saanich though.

#1584 amor de cosmos

amor de cosmos

BUILD

• 7,128 posts

Posted 31 July 2018 - 09:03 AM

some new pics from MoT's Flickr page

43749866041_e0797d4a17_b.jpgExcavation for Off Ramp by B.C. Ministry of Transportation and Infrastructure, on Flickr

43701453052_8eba88694e_b.jpgMechanically Stabilized Earth Retaining Walls by B.C. Ministry of Transportation and Infrastructure, on Flickr

43749865141_2f670f5237_b.jpgMechanically Stabilized Earth Retaining Walls by B.C. Ministry of Transportation and Infrastructure, on Flickr

43701452252_f03f08e463_b.jpgMechanically Stabilized Earth Retaining Walls by B.C. Ministry of Transportation and Infrastructure, on Flickr

43701451892_5f55a2f2b0_b.jpgFootings for New Pedestrian Overpass by B.C. Ministry of Transportation and Infrastructure, on Flickr

i'm sure the neighbours will appreciate this one

43749863281_6ff894598b_b.jpgMcKenzie Interchange Sound Wall by B.C. Ministry of Transportation and Infrastructure, on Flickr

43701451002_2d0c3db4c9_b.jpgConcrete Cast-In-Place by B.C. Ministry of Transportation and Infrastructure, on Flickr
  • Nparker likes this

#1585 manuel

manuel
  • 595 posts

Posted 31 July 2018 - 11:51 AM

That might be it. There’s supposed to be an exchange in that location, no?

It's a MOTI project, and there is land purchased at the corner of Ravine Way and Carey (I guess right at Douglas) for the new Uptown Bus Hub.  Couldn't find detailed plans on-line, however this info suggests that the left turn lane is for buses (likely only buses) off of southbound Douglas to Carey/the to be built bus hub.  

Northbound buses could easily go in at Carey, and those buses continuing south or going east would go up Ravine Way to Blanshard southbound.

Mike - you might be able to find out more by calling the MOTI regional office or BC Transit.

"I know nothing"

#1586 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,676 posts

Posted 31 July 2018 - 02:50 PM

Yes will do, thank you.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#1587 Cats4Hire

Cats4Hire
  • 1,393 posts

Posted 31 July 2018 - 02:59 PM

That seems like a massive waste of time for any westshore bus to get to that exchange though. If heading out of town sure they just turn right on to Carey but they'd then either have to stay on Carey until Tillicum or turn on Ravine, Blanshard, Saanich back to Douglas retreading road it would have just done between Saanich and Carey. Heading into town would either have them stop at the same stop (the one that currently exists) as turning left would bring it there or have them need to exit the highway at Tillicum and go down Carey or turn left on Saanich, left on Ravine, left on Carey then back to Douglas.

I could see it being useful for the 30/31 heading into town not having to go on Blanshard/Saanich or the Peninsula buses if they use Ravine/Carey to get between Blanshard/Douglas instead of the current Cloverdale though.

#1588 manuel

manuel
  • 595 posts

Posted 31 July 2018 - 03:51 PM

That seems like a massive waste of time for any westshore bus to get to that exchange though. If heading out of town sure they just turn right on to Carey but they'd then either have to stay on Carey until Tillicum or turn on Ravine, Blanshard, Saanich back to Douglas retreading road it would have just done between Saanich and Carey. Heading into town would either have them stop at the same stop (the one that currently exists) as turning left would bring it there or have them need to exit the highway at Tillicum and go down Carey or turn left on Saanich, left on Ravine, left on Carey then back to Douglas.

I could see it being useful for the 30/31 heading into town not having to go on Blanshard/Saanich or the Peninsula buses if they use Ravine/Carey to get between Blanshard/Douglas instead of the current Cloverdale though.

For northbound to Langford, there could easily be a way to get back on Douglas/Island Highway.  For northbound to the ferries, it would create a single hub for the 70/72/75 to connect with the Langford buses (after taking the new bus lane up douglas).  Southbound is a bit more difficult unless the light also allows buses to turn left onto Douglas from Carey.

Thinking about it a bit more, this could allow for a regular shuttle to run from downtown to Uptown, and an express to run from Uptown to Langford (meaning that all buses wouldn't be stuck in downtown traffic).  Gives a lot more options for bus scheduling and routing.

Edited by manuel, 31 July 2018 - 03:53 PM.

"I know nothing"

#1589 Cats4Hire

Cats4Hire
  • 1,393 posts

Posted 31 July 2018 - 04:35 PM

For northbound to Langford, there could easily be a way to get back on Douglas/Island Highway. 

How would they easily get back on the highway though? I doubt Harriet could support buses and Tillicum/Carey don't seem suitable for double deckers (nor the levels these routes provide during peak hours) and going all the way to McKenzie seems like a pretty large waste of time. 

#1590 Cassidy

Cassidy
  • Banned
  • 2,501 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 31 July 2018 - 07:34 PM

I'm pretty sure the exchange is actually ON the highway, and will have a dedicated entrance/exit directly into the "bus only" lane heading out to the Westshore.

Carey and Ravine Way seems to be always noted as the location of the Transit property purchase for the exchange, but it's more accurate to say between the Trans Canada Hwy and Crease Ave.

That building with the bike shop in it, and everything around that building is going to get torn down, and is the location of the new exchange.

Edited by Cassidy, 31 July 2018 - 07:42 PM.

#1591 Cats4Hire

Cats4Hire
  • 1,393 posts

Posted 31 July 2018 - 07:58 PM

That seems a little far from Uptown though. It's already kind of awkward getting into anywhere other than stores right on Saanich/Carry from the current bus stops.

#1592 Cassidy

Cassidy
  • Banned
  • 2,501 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 01 August 2018 - 05:26 AM

Not sure I follow ... it's about 150 metres from the new exchange to the sidewalk that takes you right into Uptown's Main Street (or whatever they call it).

#1593 Cats4Hire

Cats4Hire
  • 1,393 posts

Posted 01 August 2018 - 05:55 AM

Have you tried to get to Walmart or the upper level from either the stop on Carey or the stop on Douglas just passed Saanich? It's actually kind of awkward (mostly due to the gardens being placed poorly and Uptown not being designed for pedestrians entering/exiting there). You either have to kinda weave through buildings or go quite far out of the way coming off the Carey stop which I'm fine with but I can't imagine it's very fun for anyone in a wheelchair or who has trouble walking.

#1594 rambaldi

rambaldi
  • 182 posts

Posted 01 August 2018 - 06:46 AM

Bus only?

It appears so... https://www.vicnews....-at-carey-road/

#1595 manuel

manuel
  • 595 posts

Posted 01 August 2018 - 06:46 AM

I thought it was going to be the series of vacant properties on the south side of the switch bridge. The left turn from the highway connects there. Perhaps both.

The bigger issue is where will I get my skookum used bike parts?
"I know nothing"

#1596 manuel

manuel
  • 595 posts

Posted 01 August 2018 - 06:53 AM

Have you tried to get to Walmart or the upper level from either the stop on Carey or the stop on Douglas just passed Saanich? It's actually kind of awkward (mostly due to the gardens being placed poorly and Uptown not being designed for pedestrians entering/exiting there). You either have to kinda weave through buildings or go quite far out of the way coming off the Carey stop which I'm fine with but I can't imagine it's very fun for anyone in a wheelchair or who has trouble walking.

Vic news must read VV...
"I know nothing"

#1597 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,907 posts

Posted 01 August 2018 - 07:06 AM

....The bigger issue is where will I get my skookum used bike parts?

You might wanna try here.

#1598 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,676 posts

Posted 01 August 2018 - 07:07 AM

I’ve put in a request for info from transit. They’ll respond as soon as they have all the facts for us.

Know it all.

#1599 Citified.ca

Citified.ca
  • Administrator
  • 2,295 posts
  • LocationVictoria, BC

Posted 02 August 2018 - 09:13 AM

A bus-only transit crossing has been confirmed at Carey Road.

New-TCH-traffic-light-at-Carey-Road-to-allow-highway-access-for-BC-Transit-buses.jpg
An aerial depicting the location of the soon-to-be-activated bus-only traffic light along the Trans Canada Highway at Carey Road and upcoming dual turn lanes at Saanich Road for motorists destined towards Uptown Shopping Centre and Saanich's core.  Google/Citified

New TCH traffic light at Carey Road to allow highway access for BC Transit buses
https://victoria.cit...-transit-buses/

Know it all.

#1600 Cassidy

Cassidy
  • Banned
  • 2,501 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 02 August 2018 - 03:21 PM

I thought it was going to be the series of vacant properties on the south side of the switch bridge. The left turn from the highway connects there. Perhaps both.

The bigger issue is where will I get my skookum used bike parts?

You may be right, and I may be confused ... but I'm pretty sure the transit exchange is actually to the West of the switch bridge.

There's a reference online somewhere that notes that B.C. Transit was letting the existing tenants remain in place until they were ready to begin development, at which time the tenants would have to leave, and the buildings would be demolished.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users