• Please log in to reply
387 replies to this topic

#81 PulpVictor

PulpVictor

PulpVictor

• Suspended User
  • 287 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 03:52 PM

Spoke clearly enough that you got the message to save the trees.

That is the point. The trees were not save-able.

#82 PulpVictor

PulpVictor

PulpVictor

• Suspended User
  • 287 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 04:00 PM

Is that important to the issue at hand?

That's what you take away from my post? You think that public servants should not have to speak English?

#83 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,508 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 12 December 2012 - 04:03 PM

Let's leave the public servant discussion out of this please.

#84 Candarius

Candarius
  • 81 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 05:50 PM

then remove the land from the ALR.

Makes me think of someone picking the land up and moving it to a different municipality! Where of course it would become more or less valuable depending on the municipality you move it too :-)

#85 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 06:20 PM

Could he maybe just import the Tinto Rocks and charge admission, might be better than the Galey Farms attractions.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#86 LJ

LJ
  • 12,742 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 06:25 PM

I love the approach this landowner has taken.

My concern mirrors his lawyer's, however - if the ALR people remove the land from the reserve, what's to guarantee Saanich will approve the development? Then he'd be stuck in limbo, possibly without cows or chickens.

I think he needs to get Saanich's approval first, then remove the land from the ALR.

I don't believe land has to be in the ALR to farm it, as long as the municipal zoning allows it you're good to go.
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#87 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,508 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 02 March 2013 - 11:42 AM

http://www.timescolo...ourhood-1.83539

A small herd of Angus cattle graze on Saanich farmland as the owners and the municipality lock horns over the property’s future.
Don Alberg moved the cattle onto the property at 1516 Mount Douglas Cross Rd. because it’s a use that’s permitted within the Agricultural Land Reserve.

The family’s plan is to turn the land into a feedlot where up to 150 cattle are fattened up before being shipped off to market — though they would prefer to develop the property and turn it into a subdivision with 12 to 16 lots.

[...]

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#88 D.L.

D.L.
  • 7,786 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 12:21 PM

Map location - https://maps.google....Canada&t=h&z=16

#89 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 12:43 PM

Can we change the title of this thread? Some people might thing the ALR is a silly notion, but I do not. And I know I am not alone.

#90 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,148 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 01:13 PM

If you read VHF's first post on this topic, it was meant to generate discussion that in some cases it could be an outdated idea. The case in point is an excellent example.

In my mind an approach like that could stimulate discussion.

I would be reluctant to change the title. I would however suggest that you post your thoughts to repute the idea.

Let's see what he says?

#91 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 03:02 PM

I understand that point that VHF had regarding the title, but it narrows the discussion toward whether or not the ALR is viable.

I am somewhat an efficiency geek. Rather than start up another thread regarding the ALR, does it not make sense to make this thread for people that hate, love, have no opinion, but want to contribute specific information regarding the ALR? A thread that open all discussion generally regarding the ALR?

If there was a thread titled "I hate Christy Clark" it would turn a lot of people away who are interested in discussion Clark's politics, but don't want to feel the need to take sides one whether or not they hate her. To participate in a thread like that automatically forces you into a rather narrow perspective. It forces people to take sides.

#92 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 03:08 PM

I am somewhat an efficiency geek.

Then why would you support a silly notion like the ALR? :wave: Growing our own food around here is terribly inefficient.

Anyway, sure, I broadened the title.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#93 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 03:33 PM

Thank you.

#94 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,148 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 04:19 PM

:)

#95 eseedhouse

eseedhouse
  • 1,288 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 10:41 PM

Then why would you support a silly notion like the ALR? :wave: Growing our own food around here is terribly inefficient.

Yeah, until those nice folks abroad decide they're a little short of food and decide they'd rather eat it themselves than trade it for our bits of green paper. Say California gets a really big quake. Or runs out of water (which they are now extremely close do doing). How "efficient" will it be when the food stops being shipped to us in return for our computer keystrokes?

You might be happy to eat produce from our "inefficient" farmland when your belly starts to rumble.

Of course, if there's none left, well....that might be a bit difficult.

#96 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 03:25 AM

Yeah, until those nice folks abroad decide they're a little short of food and decide they'd rather eat it themselves than trade it for our bits of green paper. Say California gets a really big quake. Or runs out of water (which they are now extremely close do doing). How "efficient" will it be when the food stops being shipped to us in return for our computer keystrokes?

You might be happy to eat produce from our "inefficient" farmland when your belly starts to rumble.

Of course, if there's none left, well....that might be a bit difficult.

Well, except in cases of world war, a situation like this has never occurred in the modern world. That's the beauty of multiple supply chains and free enterprise and supply and demand dictating pricing.

California will never run out of drinking water. If their crops fail, they will be replaced by produce from Peru, at a few cents more per pound. Honestly, the set-up we have now is absolutely fool-proof, as long as the government never gets in the way of it.

#97 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,552 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 09:55 AM

Should supply chain disruptions occur any alternatives will be priced significantly higher and not a mere "few cents more per pound."

Look what happened the other week when California experienced freezing temperatures. Items like lettuce shot up from $0.99 per head to $2.50 per head (150% increase).

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#98 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 10:40 AM

Should supply chain disruptions occur any alternatives will be priced significantly higher and not a mere "few cents more per pound."

Look what happened the other week when California experienced freezing temperatures. Items like lettuce shot up from $0.99 per head to $2.50 per head (150% increase).

Right, so most people stopped eating lettuce, and onto something else.

For God's sake, this "food security" thing is all BS.

#99 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,552 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 10:43 AM

Yes, we should just stop eating vegetables and go on to something else.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#100 Benezet

Benezet
  • 1,219 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 10:53 AM

California will never run out of drinking water. If their crops fail, they will be replaced by produce from Peru, at a few cents more per pound. Honestly, the set-up we have now is absolutely fool-proof, as long as the government never gets in the way of it.

I must know.... Do you actually believe it's even remotely possible for Peru to become an agricultural superpower capable of covering a total crop failure in California? If so, what is the basis of your belief?

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users