Photo

The Copper Owl | Victoria | 1900 Douglas St.

• Please log in to reply
64 replies to this topic

#21 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 11 February 2010 - 01:07 PM

Hush is a gay bar too.

No more so than any other bar in town. They don't do traditional gay-themed shows like drag shows or burlesque. It's just a club with DJs.

#22 Pyroteknik

Pyroteknik
  • 92 posts

Posted 11 February 2010 - 03:40 PM

Hush is a gay bar too.

Not any more. That was a long time ago when Rumours was a part of Hush. Now it is a mixed (but always friendly to all) club that specializes in underground electronic music and DJ culture. Also, they do have the best (and loudest) float in the parade.

It's great to see the mix stirred as far as gay options go in this city. I'm tired of the same old same old.. there may not be room for three or four clubs, but the community wins with a better selection for now and the best establishment(s) will survive.

#23 Nanaimoite

Nanaimoite
  • 158 posts

Posted 12 February 2010 - 02:27 PM

Went to Copper club last night for the first time, I have to say it was a great experience.
I went with my partner and Lesbian friend, it was a really nice ambiance, they are still doing tweeking, but it was very friendly , and quite a few people there for being earlier in the evening, I would definately recomend it, its nice to not be down in a basement.

#24 Pyroteknik

Pyroteknik
  • 92 posts

Posted 12 February 2010 - 03:46 PM

Thanks for the info Nanaimoite,

I was thinking of dropping by tonight with a friend to see if the Olympic opening ceremonies will be on the screens.

#25 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 12 February 2010 - 03:48 PM

Thanks for the info Nanaimoite,

I was thinking of dropping by tonight with a friend to see if the Olympic opening ceremonies will be on the screens.

Yes, they are definately showing it on the 16-ft screen with sound...

#26 Nanaimoite

Nanaimoite
  • 158 posts

Posted 13 February 2010 - 01:19 PM

:)So did anyone go to the Copper Club last night?, I will be going to the Ledge in the comming week, so I will give a review on this new club

#27 Pyroteknik

Pyroteknik
  • 92 posts

Posted 13 February 2010 - 04:52 PM

Nah, didn't make it.. I ended up somewhere else for the opening ceremonies. I'll have to check it out this week sometime.

#28 OSJ

OSJ
  • 311 posts

Posted 03 August 2010 - 02:31 PM

With the negative feelings that many people hold towards Prism/Paparazzi and the general feelings of love towards Terry in the GLBT community, I would say that the Ledge is going to come out #1 in the end.

good call, after months of being open. the ledge seems to be doing much better than copper. the ledge had a bunch of pride events, and is getting bussier every day. food is great as well.

little birdies say the copper club will not make it in victoria. already closed a couple days a week.

#29 bluefox

bluefox

ex-Victorian

• 697 posts

Posted 03 September 2010 - 04:17 PM

The place is now under different ownership and is planning renovations (including better signage) and a name change, according to the latest from the gay grapevine. Stay tuned...

#30 bluefox

bluefox

ex-Victorian

• 697 posts

Posted 18 September 2010 - 04:16 PM

As mentioned, Copper Club has rebranded and is now called Q Bar. I visited the other night and there had been no visible renovations, but they may still be coming.

#31 OSJ

OSJ
  • 311 posts

Posted 22 December 2010 - 09:28 AM

Here at The Ledge we have been doing pretty well. especially for such a small market. We have had lots of x mas dinner parties and some bigger functions. We are almost at 1 year of business.Being the only Gay venue with a full menu in victoria helps though. Hope that Q bar is dong well, and continue to do well.
have a great x mas everybody.

#32 OSJ

OSJ
  • 311 posts

Posted 03 January 2011 - 09:05 AM

heard a rumour that Q bar is now closed? anyone know anything about it?
to bad, hate to see places shutting down

#33 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 05 January 2011 - 06:15 PM

Confirmed closed.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#34 OSJ

OSJ
  • 311 posts

Posted 06 January 2011 - 10:30 AM

Unfortunate, with paparazzi labeling themselves as a Gay "friendly" club now. the Ledge is the only gay bar in victoria. good for our business, but i hate to see places doing badly.
we have seen a small increase since the closure on new years eve.

#35 OSJ

OSJ
  • 311 posts

Posted 27 January 2011 - 12:45 PM

heard a rumour lately that soppranos is looking at opening up in the old Q bar spot?

#36 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 27 January 2011 - 02:50 PM

heard a rumour lately that soppranos is looking at opening up in the old Q bar spot?

I can confirm that Soprano's management has toured the site, no offer has been made. Folks might know that the owner of Soprano's operated the space for about 12 years ending in 2004.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#37 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 15 July 2011 - 08:29 AM

FYI- Sorprano's lease got renewed at their current location and Q-bar (Copper Club) is now to become The Castle Bar....
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#38 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 15 July 2011 - 08:32 AM

As mentioned, Copper Club has rebranded and is now called Q Bar. I visited the other night and there had been no visible renovations, but they may still be coming.

The owner of the hotel will not allow ANY types of modifications to the space. Seems they where quite upset when Sorprano's painted all that marble and had to scrap all the paint off when they left.
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#39 glenalan54

glenalan54
  • 97 posts

Posted 22 September 2011 - 07:46 AM

The old Copper Club has reopened as the Castle Video Bar & Nightclub. The name the Castle, according to the two owners, is in direct homage to the great old Castle Hotel that once graced Granville Street in downtown Vancouver that closed in 1990.
This is a gay/transgender place that welcomes non-gays as well. So we will see how long this establishment lasts.

#40 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 06:12 PM

The Copper Owl is a brand new events venue and bar located in the upstairs lounge at Paul's Motor Inn. With a retro vibe, comfortable lounge seating and a fully licensed bar serving locally brewed artisan beer, wine and spirits, we are open Tuesday - Thursday 5pm to 12am, and Fridays and Saturdays 5pm - 2am. Available for private parties, events, meetings and casual drinks... we are the coziest, coolest lounge in Victoria, BC! Contact us today to book an event: copperowlinfo@gmail.com, or visit our facebook page for updates on events and drink specials! https://www.facebook.com/copperowlinfo

http://copperowl.ca/about

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users