Photo

The Copper Owl | Victoria | 1900 Douglas St.

• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

#41 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 12,947 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 06:33 PM

Wow what was that place in the late nineties? I can remember a fairly popular night club there. Then it was a gay friendly place for awhile too...

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#42 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 08:22 PM

Wow what was that place in the late nineties? I can remember a fairly popular night club there. Then it was a gay friendly place for awhile too...

All through the 90's it was "The Karaoke Club", and it was very popular.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#43 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 10,623 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 08:24 PM

We used to call that "Paul's Coppertop".

#44 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 08:26 PM

Ya, it was the Copper Top previously.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#45 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 08:28 PM

We used to call that "Paul's Coppertop".

Think it was called the Coppertop from day 1

#46 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 08:30 PM

Paul Arsens was a true trendsetter in the restaurant and hotel industry in Victoria. The Motor Inn started with a family style restaurant named, you guessed it - Paul’s Restaurant in 1958. This was just one of many businesses this Ladysmith entrepreneur opened in Victoria. Shortly after the success of the restaurant, Paul and his wife Artie, decided that they would try their hand at a motor inn. So they set about building Paul’s Motor Inn with 78 rooms that would be attached to Paul’s Restaurant.

Paul was always up for doing something different and humourous - at times he would have his billboard advertising hung upside down or sideways to attract more attention. He once got international attention in the Boston Globe and New York Times by having restaurant guests decide what price they would pay for dinner, and even went so far as to have them ring in their own bills and make their own change!

No wonder we are such a unique and fun loving group.

http://www.paulsmoto...nn/history.html

#47 Nanaimoite

Nanaimoite
  • 158 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 02:12 PM

is it a gay establishment ?

#48 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Burnside-Gorge

• 6,524 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 03:24 PM

^That was when it was the Copper Club.
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users