Photo

Greasy Spoons

• Please log in to reply
70 replies to this topic

#1 Jada

Jada
  • 383 posts

Posted 19 October 2006 - 06:21 PM

Hey, whats your fave greasy spoon in town?

For years mine used to be Scotts restaurant on Yates. I would order the hawaiian burger (a pattie with a pineapple ring), and add fried mushrooms and cheese. It was pure coronary bliss.

Then the original greek family who owned it sold the place about four years ago and the menu completely changed. I'm still searching for that perfect, greasy burger.

Whats your fave restaurant for grease?

#2 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 19 October 2006 - 06:35 PM

A couple of decades ago the place to go in Vancouver was Fresgo's Inn which was on Davie I think. What it lacked in quality it made up in quantity.
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#3 Oxford Sutherland

Oxford Sutherland
  • 522 posts

Posted 19 October 2006 - 06:41 PM

Floyd's Diner or Rosie's :tup: :tup:

#4 m0nkyman

m0nkyman
  • 729 posts

Posted 19 October 2006 - 08:11 PM

For pure sunday brunch grease, I'll second the vote for Floyds... But, in terms of somewhere to go at 3am for a late night fix of alcohol sopping grease... I can't think of anywhere.. all the great old greasy spoons on Yates and Douglas are closed now. :(

#5 Jada

Jada
  • 383 posts

Posted 19 October 2006 - 08:28 PM

I havent been to Floyd's yet.

@Holden, The Fresgo Inn is still up and running on Davie.

#6 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 19 October 2006 - 08:31 PM

^I wonder if they still have the giant platters of gristly beef ribs.

That restaurant in Cook St. Village where the vacant lot is certainly qualified. When the owners took over Rosie's across the street they brought that truckstop goodness with them making Rosie's the most charming, ramshackle dual-personality diner in town.
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."

#7 renthefinn

renthefinn
  • 571 posts

Posted 19 October 2006 - 09:22 PM

Fresgo Inn, I haven't seen that. Where on Davie is it?

#8 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 19 October 2006 - 09:50 PM

Cup 'a Joe's in JB makes the best benny's.
Rosie's and John's Place are great.

#9 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 19 October 2006 - 10:16 PM

Foo Hong's in Chinatown is a classic greasy spoon. Good ol' greasy Canadian Chinese food served in a restaurant last redecorated in 1963.

#10 Jada

Jada
  • 383 posts

Posted 19 October 2006 - 10:24 PM

Youre right! Foo Hungs is the best! Ive been craving them lately, as I dont think Ive had better greasy chinese than at Foo Hung's. Ive always wanted those Coke ads on the wall.

#11 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 19 October 2006 - 10:27 PM

^The vintage paraphanalia there is fantastic. I recall they have a cool clock too.

Foo Hong's was a favourite of former BC Premier Dave Barrett in the 1970s. Witness this exchange in the Legislature from March 7, 1974:

MR. L.A. WILLIAMS:Just very briefly, the Second Member for Vancouver-Burrard (Ms. Brown) reminded me that I forgot to advise the committee as to my whereabouts last night. I had dinner with a man who I believe is in the gallery, a member of the press. We went to that distinguished restaurant, well known to the Hon. Premier, Foo Hong's.

HON. MR. BARRETT: Hear, hear!

MR. L.A. WILLIAMS: The best proof I've got is that I spent the evening with Michael Wong, aged six, who showed me how to write his name in Chinese.

HON. MR. BARRETT: The best thing you've done in weeks.

#12 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,806 posts

Posted 20 October 2006 - 06:15 AM

No way for greasy spoon in Chinatown there is only Wah Lai Yuen.

For non-Chinese I like Floyds.

Speaking of Floyds, I saw someone win the Mahoney when I was there.

For those that don't know they have a menu item which if you order it, you get the chef's choice of plates and at the end of the meal you flip for it, double or nothing.

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#13 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 20 October 2006 - 07:42 AM

Vere is dis Floyd's?

#14 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,566 posts

Posted 20 October 2006 - 08:05 AM

Yates at Quadra.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#15 Betty

Betty
  • 6 posts

Posted 20 October 2006 - 08:34 AM

If you guys are looking for kick-ass greasy spoon breaky's you really should check out The Avalon on Fort street; just head east, past the stooopid people waiting at the Blue Fox and go up a block and a half (just past the Mosaic building) and it's there on the right. The BEST hollandaise sauce...and they don't bother trying to west-coast-afy it with pesto and crap....just plain goodness. The decor isn't my taste but hey when I'm ears deep in a great breakfast I don't really notice.

#16 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 20 October 2006 - 09:05 AM

That's a good one--perhaps too good to qualify as a true "greasy spoon"! :)

However, the best, most honest-to-goodness authentic greasy spoon was the late, lamented...

IAN'S JUBILEE COFFEE SHOP

On Richmond near Fort, next to the equally missed Turner's newstand.

I miss wisecracking Ian and his sassy staff slinging hash and pouring coffee!

#17 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,806 posts

Posted 20 October 2006 - 09:19 AM

Even ten years ago the city had a ton of 24hr greasy spoons. What happened?

Maple Leaf
Day and Night
Scott's

They are all gone.

It has a whole new look!

#18 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 20 October 2006 - 09:50 AM

Don't forget Johnny's Cafe--a fixture for many decades up until just a few years ago (where that Thai restaurant is now on Fort near Quadra).

Here's some classics from the golden age of Victoria cafes:

#19 m0nkyman

m0nkyman
  • 729 posts

Posted 20 October 2006 - 10:08 AM

Even ten years ago the city had a ton of 24hr greasy spoons. What happened?

Maple Leaf
Day and Night
Scott's

They are all gone.

The end of the industry era in Victoria, the kind with shift work...

#20 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,806 posts

Posted 20 October 2006 - 10:11 AM

That is a good point! I had not thought of that. I guess we need more 24 hour call centres.

It has a whole new look!

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users