Greasy Spoons

• Please log in to reply
70 replies to this topic

#41 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,149 posts

Posted 06 June 2011 - 06:56 PM

OK....for a minute there I thought this establishment was still in business, but it's not.

Dot's Diner just north of Nanaimo...in a trailer, served a "Sherman Special" named after a customer who ate two of everything.

Priceless.

I am searching for a pic.

#42 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,050 posts

Posted 06 June 2011 - 07:39 PM

You have got to be kidding me. I have raved about The Marble Arch in EAT magazine before and that time that the wanker on the burger blog called me out for being an employee. This place is one of the best restaurants in town hands down, greasy spoon or not. The fact that it's literally around the corner (across the fence!) from my house doesn't hurt. Great food, great prices, indifferent service, everything cooked from raw right before your eyes. What more could you ask for!!

http://vicburgers.bl...room-6-500.html Scroll down to see the fun. :)

Just avoid the white pepper on the tables and you'll be good to go. Clean, open kitchen and honest food - just don't tell too many people about it!! I don't often throw my weight around, but this place is Chef Approved. ;)

Matt.

#43 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,149 posts

Posted 06 June 2011 - 07:53 PM

^ "petulant dickhead"......Matt you were too kind to that dork. nuf said.

You and I have known for a long while that the MA is one of the last Mom and Pop "spoons" in town.....and worth the visit every time.

#44 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 06 June 2011 - 08:54 PM

You have got to be kidding me. I have raved about The Marble Arch in EAT magazine before and that time that the wanker on the burger blog called me out for being an employee. This place is one of the best restaurants in town hands down, greasy spoon or not. The fact that it's literally around the corner (across the fence!) from my house doesn't hurt. Great food, great prices, indifferent service, everything cooked from raw right before your eyes. What more could you ask for!!

http://vicburgers.bl...room-6-500.html Scroll down to see the fun. :)

Just avoid the white pepper on the tables and you'll be good to go. Clean, open kitchen and honest food - just don't tell too many people about it!! I don't often throw my weight around, but this place is Chef Approved. ;)

Matt.

Yowzee!
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#45 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,050 posts

Posted 06 June 2011 - 09:36 PM

I go with my kids pretty regularly for lunch. My daughter usually gets pancakes, I usually get a cheese burger w/ fries and my son gets some sort of combo - pork fried rice w/ something deep fried is his fave, but it's all really good. It's our go-to take out chinese place.

Where else can you get all that in the comfort of a lunch counter with a dozen outside Saanich municipal employees - and that guy who holds business meetings there and tells all of his clients not to tell anyone about the place. :)

Matt.

#46 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,149 posts

Posted 06 June 2011 - 09:38 PM

Try the egg foo yeung chow mein

#47 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,050 posts

Posted 06 June 2011 - 09:45 PM

You know, I've said too much already. Don't go, it's no good, there's always a line up and it's expensive!! (or maybe I'm just being selfish)

Matt.

#48 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,149 posts

Posted 06 June 2011 - 09:55 PM

Good idea...I won't be there at 11:45 tomorrow

#49 amor de cosmos

amor de cosmos

BUILD

• 7,121 posts

Posted 21 June 2011 - 08:19 PM

does beacon drive-in count? I remember liking that place.

#50 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 21 June 2011 - 09:47 PM

^It's locally owned and operated, not a franchise, serves burgers and there's no arugula, endive or cheeky savignon blanc anywhere to be found so I'd say the Beacon qualifies.
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#51 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,510 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 21 June 2011 - 10:11 PM

I worked in Esquimalt a few years ago. We rented a space in the big yellow UPak building on Viewfield Rd. In the parking lot there was a burger stand, J&V's it was called after the first initials of the couple who ran it.

Good burgers, milkshakes, fries, onion rings, hotdogs. They even made their own veggie burger patties which I naturally ordered with extra bacon. Their fries were made from scratch. The place was good for about 15lbs that I'm still trying to work off.

They moved up to Lake Cowichan and I think they still run the place up there. The burger trailer is still operating under different owners in Esquimalt.

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#52 amor de cosmos

amor de cosmos

BUILD

• 7,121 posts

Posted 21 July 2011 - 08:21 PM

what about pig? is that a bbq place or a greasy spoon? (or both?)

#53 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 21 July 2011 - 09:43 PM

A friend lent me an old 1950s menu from Johnny's Coffee Shop, a fixture at Fort near Quadra for much of the 20th century. I'll try to post it here.

#54 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,149 posts

Posted 21 July 2011 - 10:04 PM

^ There were so many great greasy spoon cafes. Johnny's, Ian's, Paul's, Mac's.

I went to one of Matt R's and my favorite greasy spoon today for lunch....the Marble Arch in the Burnside centre.

Egg Foo Yung chow mein.......to die for.

I look forward to seeing Johnny's menu again.

#55 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,566 posts

Posted 22 July 2011 - 07:37 AM

I worked in Esquimalt a few years ago. We rented a space in the big yellow UPak building on Viewfield Rd. In the parking lot there was a burger stand, J&V's it was called after the first initials of the couple who ran it.

Ah, the memories...

This place was open when I was a student at Esquimalt High. Every now and then we'd trek to the industrial area to get burgers and fries for lunch.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#56 Van

Van
  • 87 posts

Posted 22 July 2011 - 09:16 AM

Ah, the memories...

This place was open when I was a student at Esquimalt High. Every now and then we'd trek to the industrial area to get burgers and fries for lunch.

Ah I remember doing the same, except my friends and I usually got the poutine, back when it was in the other spot just up the street. I think lots of people (students at least) stopped going often as they started raising the prices and lowered the portion sizes :(

#57 amor de cosmos

amor de cosmos

BUILD

• 7,121 posts

Posted 27 July 2011 - 06:09 AM

kittie's, floyd's, butter dell. all pretty similar but all pretty good too.

#58 endayliner

endayliner
  • 135 posts

Posted 09 August 2011 - 01:23 PM

Don't forget the Butterdell on douglas across from Mayfair Mall, good cheap greasy food :0

I remember them doing really good scrambled eggs. When I worked for my uncle installing blinds we would always go there for breakfast.
Tyler
CN Hogger and displaced Victorian.

#59 dirtydeeds

dirtydeeds
  • 214 posts

Posted 09 August 2011 - 09:57 PM

Swung by Marble Arch (Tillicum) today with the family, ate like kings for under 25 bucks, try the sweet and sour chicken balls awesome! They do grease cheap and good. Haven't been there in 5 years the only thing that changed was that the old guy wasn't behind the counter. Also noticed Wednesday is all you can eat fish and chips for 7 bucks (6 pc max lol) 1/2 price for kids under 7 So I might see you there tommorrow :)
Remember Cash Only!

#60 amor de cosmos

amor de cosmos

BUILD

• 7,121 posts

Posted 10 August 2011 - 08:46 AM

yeah that place is good. I finally checked it out recently, it definitely lives up to the hype. :)

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users