Photo

Greasy Spoons

• Please log in to reply
70 replies to this topic

#21 renthefinn

renthefinn
  • 571 posts

Posted 20 October 2006 - 04:22 PM

That's a good one--perhaps too good to qualify as a true "greasy spoon"! :)

However, the best, most honest-to-goodness authentic greasy spoon was the late, lamented...

IAN'S JUBILEE COFFEE SHOP

On Richmond near Fort, next to the equally missed Turner's newstand.

I miss wisecracking Ian and his sassy staff slinging hash and pouring coffee!

Yah I liked Ian's it was good!

#22 aastra

aastra
  • 20,763 posts

Posted 20 October 2006 - 04:33 PM

And if you had a heart attack while you were there, they could just carry you across the street to the emergency. Convenient.

#23 Caramia

Caramia
  • 3,835 posts

Posted 20 October 2006 - 04:43 PM

The Day and Night was awesome! I loved watching the french canadian waitress, Michelle, bullying junkies and drug dealers. Not on the menu but if you asked for a souvlaki sandwich it was hands down the best in town.

Foo Hongs is my favorite now. I eat there usually at least three times a week. WonTon soup served within minutes of sitting down. Yay!
Nowadays most people die of a sort of creeping common sense, and discover when it is too late that the only things one never regrets are one's mistakes.
Oscar Wilde (1854 - 1900), The Picture of Dorian Gray, 1891

#24 Ms. B. Havin

Ms. B. Havin
  • 5,052 posts

Posted 20 October 2006 - 04:47 PM

Foo Hong's in Chinatown is a classic greasy spoon. Good ol' greasy Canadian Chinese food served in a restaurant last redecorated in 1963.

You're off by a few years. That bamboo-leaf gold-coloured wallpaper at Foo Hong's was hung by my father, probably around 1971 or so... I couldn't believe it when I saw it again in 2002...

Fresgo's on Davie in Vancouver is still around? We called it the "eat to the beat" place because of the insistent 80s rock that was always on...
When you buy a game, you buy the rules. Play happens in the space between the rules.

#25 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 20 October 2006 - 05:29 PM

^Ha ha...that's [url=http://cgi.ebay.com/2Rolls-Vintage-Bamboo-Flock-Velvet-Retro-Wallpaper_W0QQitemZ320036735066QQihZ011QQcategoryZ52348QQcmdZViewItem:8a786]valuable stuff now[/url:8a786]!

I guess Paul's Motor Inn is the last of the locally-owned, 24 hour, clubhouse-and-fries diners.
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#26 Jada

Jada
  • 383 posts

Posted 20 October 2006 - 08:00 PM

I think some of the waitresses from the other former diners are all employed at Paul's now.

#27 mikedw

mikedw
  • 59 posts

Posted 22 October 2006 - 03:53 PM

That's a good one--perhaps too good to qualify as a true "greasy spoon"! :)

However, the best, most honest-to-goodness authentic greasy spoon was the late, lamented...

IAN'S JUBILEE COFFEE SHOP

On Richmond near Fort, next to the equally missed Turner's newstand.

I miss wisecracking Ian and his sassy staff slinging hash and pouring coffee!

Does anyone know what's going on with that location? I was by there a month ago and there's no sign of it being bought, reopened, torn down and leased.

I find it weird that this chunk of real estate would linger for what? Three or four years now?

Web developer & Internet Marketer

https://web321.co

#28 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 22 October 2006 - 04:00 PM

I suspect the original owners are holding out for a developer who'll restore the building and keep the cool neon sign. Whether this is economically feasible, I don't know.

Is there anyone out there named Turner who is thinking of opening a corner store? :)
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#29 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 22 October 2006 - 04:15 PM

Here's a sketch I did of Turner's around 1993 when I was going to the nearby Victoria College of Art. We used to like going to Ian's for lunch.

#30 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 22 October 2006 - 05:42 PM

Very nice!
Can't pinpoint your medium.
I know you said sketched, but parts of it looks like watercolour. ?
How did you do the "faded" interior effect?

#31 victriviaqueen

victriviaqueen
  • 48 posts

Posted 23 October 2006 - 08:11 PM

Ah, the Maple Leaf. I used to go there as a treat with my Grandmother for a quick lunch.

Amazingly, I never set foot in Ian's, though I passed it hundreds of times.

The Esquimalt Deli does pretty good greasy spoon fare.
http://frugalvictoria.com "Living for less in the City of Gardens"

#32 Jada

Jada
  • 383 posts

Posted 23 October 2006 - 09:13 PM

Thats a great painting. I'm loving the Monday Magazine box, you got the familiarness of it perfectly, meaning its easily recognizable without being completely in focus.

#33 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 23 October 2006 - 09:17 PM

^Yes. It's difficult to decide what detail is just enough to be recognizable without being too much.

#34 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 23 October 2006 - 09:52 PM

Thanks for the comments. I call it a "sketch" because it's not as refined as a finished watercolour. It was an early attempt at watercolour during my first year of art school so it's a bit wonky. The faded effect is simply highly diluted colour.

If you want to see the work of a master of technique check out the work of my neighbour, Neil MacCormick:

http://www.novakart....m?ArtistsID=450

http://www.okharris....ress42p.htm#mac

His work is amazing in real life--much better than these web reproductions.

#35 kenjh

kenjh
  • 310 posts

Posted 06 June 2011 - 03:01 PM

does anyone know of a surviving greasy spoon cafe' ??remember Ian's on fort and richmond or Coffee Mack's on gorge...the rice bowl on esquimalt ..Texa's on Menzizes...I want a coffee shop where you get a refill ..like Jhon's place on pandora..but he's a long way from a grease burger....I want fries done in beef tallow..fried onions ..and an ashtray on the table...yah ALL the bad stuff...

#36 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,152 posts

Posted 06 June 2011 - 03:08 PM

The Marble Arch in Burnside Centre will take you back 30 years. I go there because I am addicted to their egg foo yeung. They make some good chinese food but I am pretty sure they have a heart attack burger and deisel fries on the menu.

Nice people too.

#37 kenjh

kenjh
  • 310 posts

Posted 06 June 2011 - 03:44 PM

yup the #2 lunch..special favorite

#38 dirtydeeds

dirtydeeds
  • 214 posts

Posted 06 June 2011 - 05:52 PM

Don't forget the Butterdell on douglas across from Mayfair Mall, good cheap greasy food :0

#39 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,152 posts

Posted 06 June 2011 - 06:07 PM

The Red Kettle on Bridge has grease.

#40 amor de cosmos

amor de cosmos

BUILD

• 7,121 posts

Posted 06 June 2011 - 06:17 PM

belle patate!

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users