• Please log in to reply
3271 replies to this topic

#1 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 23 March 2010 - 03:35 PM

mnwi6wO03As

I'd say that one tall cop in yellow is a little too trigger-happy on the kicking.

EDIT: It's hard to see if he does any damage on the first guy already down, or how long he took to assess the situation, but walking in, kicking a couple times, then standing aside makes it look a little excessive. And hard to tell why the next guy is a suspect, but he is hardly being any threat, just slightly uncooperative, but he isn't given too much time to comply before dark-coloured-uniform officer comes to bowl him over on his back.

#2 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 23 March 2010 - 03:45 PM

Perhaps it is excessive. Where is the rest of the video of the entire incident, just to put it into context?

For another point of view, how about the mounties being swarmed and beaten in Peace River? One of them was a female so it could have gone much worse.

http://www.timescolo...2591/story.html

#3 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 23 March 2010 - 03:59 PM

Was there a big sale at "Muffet Louisa" that casued this riot? Sometimes they do have good deals on frying pans and stuff, but people should be orderly even when they can save money.

#4 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 23 March 2010 - 04:07 PM

CFAX says VicPD are now investigating this internally.

#5 aastra

aastra
  • 20,570 posts

Posted 23 March 2010 - 04:37 PM

I'd say that big soccer-style kick he did at one point was out of line. But the many little knees to the back seemed appropriate to the situation.

#6 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,502 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 23 March 2010 - 04:58 PM

Kneeing someone in the spine? I'd say out of line :mad:

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#7 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 23 March 2010 - 05:01 PM

YOUTUBE VIDEO POSTED SHOWS VICTORIA POLICE OFFICER USING FORCE

Mar 23, 2010

VICTORIA POLICE HAVE LAUNCHED AN INTERNAL INVESTIGATION INTO ONE OF ITS OFFICERS AFTER A YOUTUBE VIDEO WAS POSTED SHOWING THE OFFICER KICKING A MAN.

[...]

http://cfax1070.com/...hp?newsId=12905

#8 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 23 March 2010 - 05:08 PM

Oh, the irony.... :D;)

POLICE SAY PORTABLE VIDEO EXPERIMENT A SUCCESS

Mar 23, 2010

[...]

http://cfax1070.com/...hp?newsId=12897

#9 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,088 posts

Posted 23 March 2010 - 05:14 PM

^ I watched this video a number of times before drawing a conclusion.

The wank in the yellow police jacket should be released from duties. Period.

There appears to be no excuse for that kind of behaviour.

#10 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,502 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 23 March 2010 - 05:25 PM

^ I watched this video a number of times before drawing a conclusion.

The wank in the yellow police jacket should be released from duties. Period.

There appears to be no excuse for that kind of behaviour.

From what I see in the video, I have to agree. The individuals being arrested did not appear combative and were both already on the ground.

While I am not a fan of the tazer, one should have been drawn and held ready for use to aid in receiving compliance from the suspect.

Instead the cop went right to kicking.

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

#11 victorian fan

victorian fan
  • 1,923 posts

Posted 23 March 2010 - 05:47 PM

I agree. Although the second person seemed a bit slow to put his hands behind his back, the kicking was uncalled for.

#12 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,502 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 23 March 2010 - 05:56 PM

I agree. Although the second person seemed a bit slow to put his hands behind his back, the kicking was uncalled for.

Well when you are pinned on your side with an officer's knee burried in your back, it's kind of hard to put your hands back there...

#13 http

http

Data Sans Practicality

• 1,029 posts

Posted 23 March 2010 - 06:06 PM

mnwi6wO03As

I'd say that one tall cop in yellow is a little too trigger-happy on the kicking.

EDIT: It's hard to see if he does any damage on the first guy already down, or how long he took to assess the situation, but walking in, kicking a couple times, then standing aside makes it look a little excessive. And hard to tell why the next guy is a suspect, but he is hardly being any threat, just slightly uncooperative, but he isn't given too much time to comply before dark-coloured-uniform officer comes to bowl him over on his back.

Yes, this is "excessive force". Given the evidence provided, the correct amount of force for the bumblebee officer to use in both instances was zero.

A local wag once posited that the VPD is mostly staffed by RCMP rejects - this video supports that notion.
"Who are those slashdot people? They swept over like Mongol-Tartars." - F. E. Vladimirovna

#14 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 23 March 2010 - 06:12 PM

It's going viral.

#15 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 23 March 2010 - 06:27 PM

Victoria police investigate video showing officer kicking man

By Joanne Hatherly, Canwest News Service
March 23, 2010 7:02 PM

[...]

http://www.vancouver...8286/story.html

What you see is three officers trying to take eight people in custody.

I see four cops at the start of the video, then a fifth comes into view on the corner.

#16 aastra

aastra
  • 20,570 posts

Posted 23 March 2010 - 06:37 PM

A local wag once posited that the VPD is mostly staffed by RCMP rejects

RCMP rejects? Good Lord.

#17 aastra

aastra
  • 20,570 posts

Posted 23 March 2010 - 06:49 PM

Normally I'm the biggest critic of police misconduct but I must be missing something here. I have no idea what's going on but it looks like the police have broken something up. What's that guy doing lying on the sidewalk in front of the store? Why are the cops already on that guy on the roadway? Why is the fat guy already handcuffed to a pole? Obviously something has already gone down.

Are we saying the cops went on a beating spree just for fun? So why are they only focused on certain people? They all but ignore the one guy who circles around the dogpile there.

#18 aastra

aastra
  • 20,570 posts

Posted 23 March 2010 - 07:11 PM

I'd bet a donut the cops are responding to whatever happened to the guy on the sidewalk.

The guy on the sidewalk seems to be wounded and the female cop seems to be standing over the wounded guy and listening to the wounded guy's upset friends. If those are indeed upset friends of the wounded guy then that explains why the cops aren't giving them any trouble.

So are you guys saying the cops must have put that guy down on the sidewalk?

If they did, then that's not good. If they didn't, then there's nothing to see here. Cops apprehend some drunken thugs.

#19 LJ

LJ
  • 12,685 posts

Posted 23 March 2010 - 07:21 PM

It certainly looks excessive but we don't know what has happened to prompt this kind of action. Maybe the preceeding events caused the reaction by the police.

With the use of the Taser highly restricted this kind of physical force will be in use more and more I'm afraid.
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#20 aastra

aastra
  • 20,570 posts

Posted 23 March 2010 - 07:24 PM

So are we saying it's excessive force if a bunch of drunken thugs beat the crap out of a guy and the police respond and round the thugs up?

I'm not saying that's what happened here. Unlike everyone else on this board, I was not present for the actual incident. But if that is what happened, then do we still have a problem with it?

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

4 user(s) are reading this topic

1 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users

Gipper