Greater Victoria police forces issues and news

• Please log in to reply
3271 replies to this topic

#41 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 24 March 2010 - 10:10 AM

For all we know the unconscious guy might have been killed if the police hadn't waded into this mess.

For all their concern about the unconcious guy, nobody in authority is making sure he's not dead, he's being overseen by a bystander.

#42 davek

davek
  • 670 posts

Posted 24 March 2010 - 10:21 AM

Should the police have tried making polite appeals to reason instead of getting tough?

You're falling victim to the false alternative fallacy. There are a vast number of options between making polite appeals and kicking a man who's down.

#43 http

http

Data Sans Practicality

• 1,029 posts

Posted 24 March 2010 - 10:30 AM

I just find it funny that people are really upset because a cop dished out one solid kick and one or two more smaller kicks, but nobody seems to care that a drunken brawl that knocked one guy out cold was what started it all.

If you're horrified by what you see the cops doing as they try to contain the situation then you'd probably faint if you saw what was going on before the cops arrived.

You misunderstand, then. Police officers are charged with maintaining and restoring order. But what the officer in question was doing qualifies as wanton violence, no different from what presumably went on before.

Police officers are granted fearsome powers, and with that comes an expectation that they will be exceptionally circumspect with them at all times, not just when it's easy.

I'm horrified by the fact that officer "Pele" didn't resign his post first.

On an unrelated note, if I'd been the officer in the blue coat, I'd have said "He can't put his hand behind his back if you keep kicking the arm he's using to hold himself up." Not a team player.
"Who are those slashdot people? They swept over like Mongol-Tartars." - F. E. Vladimirovna

#44 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 82,943 posts

Posted 24 March 2010 - 10:31 AM

The officer in black also knees the man he is detaining.

The man being restrained appears to be kicked by the officer in yellow, then kneed twice (or more) in what appears to be the stomach by the officer in black, then kneed twice in the back by the officer in yellow.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#45 aastra

aastra
  • 20,570 posts

Posted 24 March 2010 - 10:31 AM

For all their concern about the unconcious guy, nobody in authority is making sure he's not dead, he's being overseen by a bystander.

Again, looks like a female cop to me.

#46 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 24 March 2010 - 10:34 AM

Press conference this afternoon at VicPD. And at least one of the guys on the ground has come forward with his story of being kicked.

#47 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 24 March 2010 - 10:37 AM

Again, looks like a female cop to me.

The female cop does not look towards him, stand facing him or bend down to him at all, and at 0:22 she heads out to the middle of the street, then out of camera-view.

#48 Baro

Baro
  • 4,317 posts

Posted 24 March 2010 - 10:39 AM

Come on people, if you don't want to be beaten by angry authority figures that are almost entirely above the law, don't get drunk and involved in fights. (or get confused at airports, or protest, or say anything bad about the police, or resist getting grabbed by a cop who hasn't identified them selves, or live in a house the police got the wrong address to, or be a minority or first nations).

Guys were asking for it!
"beats greezy have baked donut-dough"

#49 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 82,943 posts

Posted 24 March 2010 - 10:46 AM

Guys were asking for it!

They're not exactly innocent bystanders.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#50 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 24 March 2010 - 10:46 AM

Press conference this afternoon at VicPD. And at least one of the guys on the ground has come forward with his story of being kicked.

MAN SAYS HE MAY SEEK LEGAL ACTION AFTER YOUTUBE VIDEO HAS SURFACED

Mar 24, 2010

A VICTORIA POLICE OFFICER FACES AN INTERNAL INVESTIGATION INTO HIS USE OF FORCE AFTER A YOUTUBE VIDEO SURFACED SHOWING THE OFFICER KICKING A NUMBER OF MEN DURING AN INCIDENT OUTSIDE SOCIAL NIGHT CLUB IN DOWNTOWN VICTORIA.

[...]

http://cfax1070.com/...hp?newsId=12907

SINGKAN SAYS HE WAS NOT ARRESTED AND WAS RELEASED FROM THE SCENE ABOUT HALF AN HOUR AFTER THE INCIDENT.

So is it justified kicking a guy, handcuffing him, just to neutralize him until you find out if he is reponsible for a crime? If it turns out he wasn't involved in a crime, I don't see how his treatment can be explained away.

#51 aastra

aastra
  • 20,570 posts

Posted 24 March 2010 - 10:50 AM

You're falling victim to the false alternative fallacy. There are a vast number of options between making polite appeals and kicking a man who's down.

Sorry, I didn't mean to trap you with that. Yes, there are indeed a vast number of options, hence why I posed the question in the first place.

#52 aastra

aastra
  • 20,570 posts

Posted 24 March 2010 - 10:52 AM

So is it justified kicking a guy, handcuffing him, just to neutralize him until you find out if he is reponsible for a crime? If it turns out he wasn't involved in a crime, I don't see how his treatment can be explained away.

So are we saying nobody did it then? Or maybe we're saying nothing happened at all?

If innocent people were attacked by police then obviously there's a problem here.

#53 aastra

aastra
  • 20,570 posts

Posted 24 March 2010 - 10:54 AM

They're not exactly innocent bystanders.

Say what? Beat a guy unconscious on a city street and you're automatically guilty of something?

#54 aastra

aastra
  • 20,570 posts

Posted 24 March 2010 - 11:13 AM

You misunderstand, then. Police officers are charged with maintaining and restoring order. But what the officer in question was doing qualifies as wanton violence, no different from what presumably went on before.

Wow, did I ever misunderstand! Thanks for explaining that for me.

Just to clarify this insightful point, if police use force to break up a drunken brawl (and apprehend the suspects responsible for a violent assault) and some aspect of the police response ends up being excessive or otherwise inappropriate to the situation, then the actions of the police are no different than the actions of the drunken brawlers themselves.

The thug who beats a guy unconscious is no different than the cop who kicks the thug in the ribs while trying to arrest him for his crime. Wanton violence.

I learn so very much from the very clever people on this board.

#55 aastra

aastra
  • 20,570 posts

Posted 24 March 2010 - 11:20 AM

VHF, are these not police wearing blue with reflective stripes? I assumed they were. The woman seems to be standing by the unconscious guy as the unconscious guy's friends tell their tale. Notice how the police aren't giving any of those guys any trouble even though at least one of them is very animated. Watch the video and note how the police are only interested in certain people. Wanton violence or apprehension of suspects?

Isn't this also another female cop in yellow?

#56 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 24 March 2010 - 11:20 AM

Press conference this afternoon at VicPD.

1pm.

#57 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 82,943 posts

Posted 24 March 2010 - 11:30 AM

VHF, are these not police wearing blue with reflective stripes?

They may not be. Now that I think about it, the police who wear blue jackets may be reserve constables.

That might explain why the woman was not attending to the man on the ground. She might have been out of her element for all we know.

Know it all.

#58 aastra

aastra
  • 20,570 posts

Posted 24 March 2010 - 11:52 AM

Whatever they are, there's a man dressed the same way as the woman and he looks to be fully involved.

#59 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 24 March 2010 - 12:16 PM

It's going viral.

Video of Victoria police officer’s questionable use of force goes viral
By Mike Kozakowski, VibrantVictoria.ca
http://vibrantvictoria.ca/?p=2133

A video showing a Victoria Police officer using what many consider to be excessive force against two individuals involved in what is reported to have been a brawl between eight individuals is going viral after being released on YouTube.

[..]

Video of Victoria police officer kicking two young men during arrest goes viral

By Cindy E. Harnett, Times Colonist
March 24, 2010 1:04 PM

A YouTube video depicting a Victoria police officer kicking two young men during an arrest outside a downtown nightclub has gone viral on Internet, at the same time the internal police investigation is expected to become criminal. As of 1 p.m., it had been viewed more than 45,000 times.

Victoria police Chief Jamie Graham is holding a press conference today at 1 p.m. to address growing concern over the video and give more details into the internal investigation.

[...]
Read more: http://www.timescolo...l#ixzz0j7vyokyR

#60 yodsaker

yodsaker
  • 1,280 posts

Posted 24 March 2010 - 12:22 PM

Are these RCMP-wannabes getting delusions of adequacy? Lately it seems some are losing it too easily. Root them out now before a cancer takes hold.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users