3297 replies to this topic

#2641 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,346 posts

Posted 06 March 2023 - 06:56 AM

So like alcohol.

No, very unlike alcohol.  

You cannot even possess alcohol at a park, street, or beach, if there appears to be any intention to consume it there.  And you certainly cannot consume it there.

ie. I can walk through the park on my way home with sealed beer containers, but I cannot sit in the park with it, or consume it in the park.

For other drugs on the new list, the rules:

Have drugs on the list, under the maximum amount, possess or consume where and when you see fit. As long as you are not at a school or airport, or a private premise where the host forbids it.

There are also some regulations for drugs in a vehicle.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 06 March 2023 - 07:12 AM.

#2642 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 06 March 2023 - 07:11 AM

I don’t recall the last time police did anything about alcohol at a park. The odd time bylaw shows up at Thetis you read about it, because it’s a big deal.
  • Matt R. likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#2643 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,346 posts

Posted 06 March 2023 - 07:13 AM

I don’t recall the last time police did anything about alcohol at a park. The odd time bylaw shows up at Thetis you read about it, because it’s a big deal.

We all agree that enforcement does not always exactly align with the letter of the law.  

Law:

You can’t drink liquor in a public place unless the area is licensed, or a municipality or regional district designates it as a place where liquor can be consumed.

You can drink liquor in a residence or private place, such as outdoors on your property or at a campsite.

https://www2.gov.bc....r at a campsite.

I can assure you nobody is drinking openly, at say Willows Beach.  OBPD will arrive and shut you down.  Cannot speak to Thetis.

2019:

Crackdown at Thetis Lake shows signs of success

A crackdown on illegal parking and alcohol consumption at Thetis Lake Regional Park seems to be having an impact.

Hutcheson noted that drinking liquor is prohibited in all regional parks. “Thetis Lake is particularly dangerous when coupled with alcohol consumption just because of the cliffs and because of the deep lake and some of the drop-offs in the topography,” she said. “We just want people to be safe and enjoy our parks and keep the liquor drinking for when you get home.”

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 06 March 2023 - 07:16 AM.

#2644 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 06 March 2023 - 07:41 AM

Prohibited in all regional parks? I don’t think so.

You can park a camper, and drink to your heart’s content, at Island View Beach Regional Park. You can also do the same at Jordan River Regional Park.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#2645 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,346 posts

Posted 06 March 2023 - 07:53 AM

Prohibited in all regional parks? I don’t think so.

You can park a camper, and drink to your heart’s content, at Island View Beach Regional Park. You can also do the same at Jordan River Regional Park.

It's legal at campsites, we already know that.

#2646 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 06 March 2023 - 08:01 AM

But still at regional parks.

I think the reality is, if the province/health authority doesn’t want Campbell River prohibiting the consumption of drugs in public, a precedent has been set for the consumption of all decriminalized drugs, including alcohol, in public.

Know it all.

#2647 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,346 posts

Posted 06 March 2023 - 08:09 AM

It's a clown world, that's for sure.

• Nparker, Matt R., todd and 2 others like this

#2648 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,409 posts

Posted 06 March 2023 - 08:19 AM

...a precedent has been set for the consumption of all decriminalized drugs, including alcohol, in public.

A half decent lawyer could argue that charging someone with consuming alcohol in a public place makes little sense if the consumption of narcotics in public is given a pass.

• lanforod and Victoria Watcher like this

#2649 Barrrister

Barrrister
  • 2,903 posts

Posted 06 March 2023 - 08:27 AM

Many laws these days make little sense. But you elected these people repeatedly.

• Matt R. likes this

#2650 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,409 posts

Posted 06 March 2023 - 08:39 AM

Many laws these days make little sense. But you elected these people repeatedly.

I didn't elect them even once!

• Matt R. likes this

#2651 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 06 March 2023 - 08:50 AM

well put a checkmark on a piece of paper and inserted it into an electronic device

It was a very empowering feeling though

Edited by todd, 06 March 2023 - 08:50 AM.

#2652 Barrrister

Barrrister
  • 2,903 posts

Posted 06 March 2023 - 10:09 AM

By you, naturally I am referring to the electorate and not any individual here. Leaves the question of whether we did enough to oppose these clowns.

• Nparker likes this

#2653 Stephen James

Stephen James

Stephen James

• 1,022 posts
  • LocationJames Bay, Victoria

Posted 06 March 2023 - 10:33 AM

. Leaves the question of whether we did enough to oppose these clowns.

A question?

#2654 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 06 March 2023 - 10:47 AM

I like clowns. Dorks are the issue

#2655 pontcanna

pontcanna
  • 4,364 posts

Posted 12 March 2023 - 05:44 AM

'Handshakes and hugs, not handcuffs': Cop-nurse team tackles mental-health calls

knox.png
Const. Tristan Williams and nurse Chris Nagainis belong to the Co-Response Team, a brand new VicPD/Island Health unit tasked with handling police calls with a mental-health component.

by Jack Knox, Times-Colonist - March 12, 2023

Squatting on the sidewalk, a man in a white hoodie smokes meth from a glass pipe while grooving to the tunes pounding out of his music player.

Were he in the doorway of a Government Street business, he might get shooed elsewhere, but he’s on The Block, as this tented and tattered stretch of Pandora Avenue is known.

Besides, Const. Tristan Williams and nurse Chris Nagainis are otherwise focused. They’re looking for a young man whose brother has just died suddenly. Next-of-kin notifications are already one of the grimmer tasks police do, but in this case, there’s worry that the news might tip the surviving sibling, a serious drug abuser, over the edge.

That’s why the job has fallen to this cop-and-clinician pairing. Williams and Nagainis, a nurse with long experience in mental-health and emergency-psychiatric care, belong to the Co-Response Team, a brand new VicPD/Island Health unit tasked with handling police calls with a mental-health component.

They don’t get a chance to write up their file notes, though, because a call comes in about a man who has bolted from a care facility.

He’s paranoid, delusional and has been talking about harming himself.

Williams and Nagainis pile into their unmarked SUV and cruise the streets looking for him, only to get interrupted by yet another call about a woman who, after a couple of days of heavy meth use, is in the grips of full-on drug-induced psychosis.

As calls come in to police, the CRT picks off those that appear to have a mental-health component.

The idea is for the CRT units, each with an officer and a mental health clinician partnered in an unmarked vehicle, to respond to crises traditionally handled by uniformed police alone.

Similar teams have been used, with slight variations, for years in a few other places around B.C., including Nanaimo in recent times. The model works well, supporters say, and fits the belief that police shouldn’t be the only answer to calls that are primarily about mental health.

The CRT members — two cops, two registered nurses — have desks next to those of the department’s three community-resource officers.

The room also houses the officer attached to the five Island Health-led Assertive Community Treatment teams — made up of psychiatric nurses, addiction-recovery workers, registered nurses, social workers, and so on — who care for well over 300 people, most of them in Greater Victoria’s core, whose severe mental illness is often compounded by substance abuse.

The units that share the VicPD office all have different missions, but there’s still some crossover, as well as a sameness of approach. “Handshakes and hugs, not handcuffs,” is Preston’s shorthand description.

Of course, it can get more complicated than that once they leave the building. Some people argue police shouldn’t be the ones to respond to mental-health calls at all, but at ground level, the lines between public-safety matters and health matters aren’t always so clearly defined.

“In reality, they intersect,” Preston says. There’s overlap, particularly when the people in question are at risk of causing harm to themselves or others.

As Williams drives to the call about the woman experiencing psychosis, Nagainis, tapping on his keyboard, brings up health records that give the two men a much more complete picture of who they’ll be dealing with, what the complicating factors might be, and what might lead to a better outcome.

The new approach is a learning curve for everyone. Even as a cop who has long gravitated to mental-health calls (“You get the chance to proactively help people”), Williams has found the CRT way of doing things an adjustment.

This is new territory for all of them, figuring things out as they go along, but it seems like so far, so good.

The CRT is made up of just four people — two nurses, two police officers — who take turns providing coverage from 8 a.m. to 8 p.m. each day. Their footprint is limited to VicPD territory, which means Victoria and Esquimalt.

What happens if the crisis happens after 8 p.m., or in, say, Saanich or Oak Bay?

#2656 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,409 posts

Posted 12 March 2023 - 07:33 AM

More drugs will make this all better.
  • LJ, Daveyboy, Love the rock and 3 others like this

#2657 FawltyVic

FawltyVic
  • 393 posts
  • LocationGreater Victoria

Posted 12 March 2023 - 07:26 PM

No, very unlike alcohol.  

You cannot even possess alcohol at a park, street, or beach, if there appears to be any intention to consume it there.  And you certainly cannot consume it there.

ie. I can walk through the park on my way home with sealed beer containers, but I cannot sit in the park with it, or consume it in the park.

For other drugs on the new list, the rules:

Have drugs on the list, under the maximum amount, possess or consume where and when you see fit. As long as you are not at a school or airport, or a private premise where the host forbids it.

There are also some regulations for drugs in a vehicle.

I agree with you man but I also agree with Mike.

Centennial Square was (still is?) a perfect example where the law wasn't enforced.

I never saw a bylaw enforcement officer, ever.

Police wouldn't (couldn't ?) respond to open alcohol in the park, they were too busy with other crimes.

When police bike patrol appeared and caught a group of people in the city hall archway consuming alcohol, they were spoken to and then left alone to carry on consuming.

The laws are there but no one is enforcing it.

#2658 FawltyVic

FawltyVic
  • 393 posts
  • LocationGreater Victoria

Posted 12 March 2023 - 07:49 PM

More drugs will make this all better.

I saw some of the documentary "Vancouver Is Dying".

the opinions from drug users and former users is decriminalization of narcotics is a bad thing and housing street people all in one place is stupid.

https://www.youtube....h?v=PT8OU8Yhs_s

Los Angeles, Toronto, San Francisco, Portland, Seattle, Vancouver and Victoria. At least one thing we have in common is we'd rather mollycoddle the criminal element than give them a kick in the ass.

• Nparker, Barrrister and Teardrop like this

#2659 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,409 posts

Posted 12 March 2023 - 08:41 PM

...we'd rather mollycoddle the criminal element than give them a kick in the ass.

It's even worse because we are consigning addicts to lives of permanent misery through misplaced compassion and woke drug policies.

• Barrrister and Teardrop like this

#2660 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,346 posts

Posted 13 March 2023 - 10:01 AM

screenshot-twitter.com-2023.03.13-14_00_35.png

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users