3336 replies to this topic

#3301 pontcanna

pontcanna
  • 4,442 posts

Posted 09 April 2024 - 01:07 PM

BC RCMP notifies IIO BC of an incident in Courtenay

Comox Valley, B.C.

2024-04-09 

The BC RCMP has notified the Independent Investigations Office of British Columbia (IIO BC) of an incident in Courtenay where one man suffered injuries while being arrested.

On April 7, 2024, at approximately 1:42 p.m., Comox Valley RCMP received a complaint of a man causing a disturbance at a residence.

Officers attended and informed the man that he was under arrest but he reportedly produced a weapon before barricading himself inside.

The Island District Emergency Response Team was contacted and deployed to the home.

During his arrest, at approximately 10:47 p.m., the man suffered injuries and was taken to hospital for treatment.

The IIO BC is investigating police actions in the incident. As the matter is now under investigation by the IIO BC, no further information will be released by police.

Comox Valley RCMP are conducting a concurrent investigation into the initial complaint.

Please note that all aspects and circumstances of this incident will be the subject of independent investigation by the IIO BC. For more information about the IIO BC and media updates, you can visit its website at www.iiobc.ca.

Released by

S/Sgt. Kris Clark
Senior Media Relations Officer
BC RCMP Communication Services

#3302 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 53,146 posts

Posted 09 April 2024 - 05:39 PM

Surrey, B.C. rejects $250M from province to aid police transition

The Canadian Press | Posted: Tuesday, April 9th, 2024 6:47 PM | Last Updated: 3 hours ago
B.C. solicitor general lambasts decision, says transition to Surrey Police Service will continue

https://www.cbc.ca/l...tory/1.7168779#

I truly do not know what’s going on there but it’s a massive boondoggle.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 09 April 2024 - 05:40 PM.

#3303 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,146 posts

Posted 11 April 2024 - 08:25 AM

GK16aUQXkAAMNgl.jpg

• Nparker likes this

#3304 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,814 posts

Posted 11 April 2024 - 08:32 AM

The NDP really need to rein in their overreach.

• Daveyboy likes this

#3305 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,146 posts

Posted 13 April 2024 - 03:08 AM

Public hearing into fatal 2019 shooting of woman by Victoria police officer starts Monday

Lisa Rauch was shot with ‘less lethal’ weapon in December 2019

#3306 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,146 posts

Posted 16 April 2024 - 04:08 AM

Investigators with the IIO were previously told that when officers opened the door, they saw flames and thick smoke obscuring their view of the room. An officer thought he saw Rauch standing with her arms at her sides and fired three rounds. Police then realized she had been sitting on a couch facing away from them.

Rauch was unresponsive and bleeding when she was removed from the room.

The shooting caused massive bleeding in her brain and she died four days later after being removed from life support. An autopsy said she died as a result of blunt-force head injuries. There was no evidence of smoke inhalation or injuries from fire.

Chris Considine, counsel for the OPCC, asked Lindner if an ARWEN should be deployed with a clear line of sight.

Lindner reminded the lawyer he is “in retirement mode.”

“If I recollect correctly, you should be seeing — it’s like anything you discharge as a police officer — you should be seeing what you’re shooting at,” Lindner said.

https://www.timescol...closure-8605255

Sounds excessive to me. Unless anyone can say she was a clear and immediate threat to anyone.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 16 April 2024 - 04:10 AM.

#3307 Gipper

Gipper
  • 314 posts

Posted 16 April 2024 - 07:44 PM

Sounds excessive to me. Unless anyone can say she was a clear and immediate threat to anyone.

You kind of removed the context of the incident with your quote, and we haven't heard from any of the officers or firefighters at the scene, so I think I'll reserve judgement. Sounds like a very chaotic situation to me.

#3308 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,070 posts

Posted 16 April 2024 - 08:17 PM

Did you see the video? Looks pretty non-chaotic from a layman. Why would you shoot at something you can’t even see?

#3309 max.bravo

max.bravo
  • 1,939 posts

Posted 16 April 2024 - 09:37 PM

Did you see the video? Looks pretty non-chaotic from a layman. Why would you shoot at something you can’t even see?

Got a link to the video?

#3310 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,070 posts

Posted 16 April 2024 - 11:49 PM

Played on Chek news tonight, might be there.

#3311 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,146 posts

Posted 17 April 2024 - 12:07 AM

You kind of removed the context of the incident with your quote, and we haven't heard from any of the officers or firefighters at the scene, so I think I'll reserve judgement. Sounds like a very chaotic situation to me.

This is the third investigation.

Unless I've missed somthing, I have yet to hear she was a threat to herself or others when police entered.

The officer just decided to fire three rounds anyway.

From report #1:

https://iiobc.ca/app...th-2019-233.pdf

screenshot-iiobc.ca-2024.04.17-04_30_59.png

screenshot-iiobc.ca-2024.04.17-04_34_55.png

There was no resistance.  Is "potential resistance" grounds for firing a sometimes-lethal weapon?

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 17 April 2024 - 12:37 AM.

#3312 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,146 posts

Posted 18 April 2024 - 12:46 AM

A police officer from the Greater Victoria Emergency Response Team testified on day three of the public hearing inquiring into the death of Lisa Rauch as to why the “intermediate” weapon that caused her death was chosen.

“That’s a great tool to use in a situation like this,” Const. Cam Stephens said of using the Anti-Riot Weapon Enfield (ARWEN) device when dealing with a barricaded individual. The ARWEN fires barrel-shaped projectiles that are meant to stop a person, but in normal operations are not supposed to be lethal.

https://www.vicnews....f-woman-7346082

The individual was not barricaded though.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 18 April 2024 - 12:47 AM.

#3313 Blair M.

Blair M.
  • 134 posts

Posted 18 April 2024 - 07:19 AM

The ridiculous component to this story is the apparently continued belief that shooting anything at a persons head won't be fatal, and will instead simply render the victim helpless enough to be cuffed and arrested.

Although this death remains incredibly sad, the take-away for the police department must be that, rather than defend the firing of the ARWEN, they acknowledge that the ARWEN is always potentially fatal, and as a result, it should be treated no differently than a police officers side-arm.

#3314 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,351 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 18 April 2024 - 07:32 AM

Hmm I don’t really agree it should be treated the same as a sidearm.

#3315 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,146 posts

Posted 18 April 2024 - 07:53 AM

I think we can probably all agree that time wasn’t working in anyone’s favour in this file.

#3316 max.bravo

max.bravo
  • 1,939 posts

Posted 18 April 2024 - 08:34 AM

Chek Video here https://play.zype.co...3a8b3000111653b

What’s interesting is the cop says his view was obscured by smoke. But no smoke seen in hallway, and medical exam noted no smoke inhalation. That makes it sound like the cop is lying.

But this screenshot from the video clearly shows the edge of the couch is burnt, with charring on the wall. So it’s very likely this meth addict was starting a fire in the couch with localized smoke when the officer fired the ARWEN round.

If she was in danger of self immolation/ burning down the building, then she was clearly a risk to herself and others.

The officer has been told and trained that this is a non-lethal method - it is precisely the perfect tool for the job.

There’s no way the officer could have predicted that the non lethal weapon would kill her. It sounds like he made the right call, But the weapon was overpowered.

Attached Images

• IMG_1788.jpeg

Edited by max.bravo, 18 April 2024 - 08:34 AM.

#3317 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,146 posts

Posted 19 April 2024 - 03:37 PM

SD61 to not reinstate police liaison program despite calls from community

The board released a long-awaited statement about the SLO program

https://www.vicnews....mmunity-7347575

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 19 April 2024 - 03:38 PM.

#3318 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,814 posts

Posted 19 April 2024 - 05:11 PM

Vote out every member of the current board at the next election and do not vote in anymore woke candidates.

#3319 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,146 posts

Posted 23 April 2024 - 11:46 AM

Surrey Police Service to take over from RCMP in November 2024: province

Public Safety Minister and Solicitor General Mike Farnworth says the official switch to the municipal police force will take effect in Surrey on Nov. 29.

This official date comes after years of back and forth, with current Surrey Mayor Brenda Locke continuing to push against the police transition.

The B.C. government has put up $150 million to help the city with the transition to the SPS, funding the city has rejected. Despite this, Farnworth has said the money will be applied directly to the transition process.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 23 April 2024 - 11:47 AM.

#3320 Blair M.

Blair M.
  • 134 posts

Posted 23 April 2024 - 11:54 AM

Hmm I don’t really agree it should be treated the same as a sidearm.

In this case either weapon aimed where the officer aimed it would have (did) prove equally fatal.

Which is not to say it was obviously an accident.

Edited by Blair M., 23 April 2024 - 11:55 AM.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users