Greater Victoria police forces issues and news

• Please log in to reply
3334 replies to this topic

#961 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,604 posts

Posted 11 April 2019 - 07:44 PM

The RCMP has their own version, called “Auxiliary Constables”, however due to the shooting of an RCMP officer and his Auxiliary partner in Alberta a few years back the program was suspended. It’s been changed and slowly rolled out nationally however the major change is that all Auxiliary Csts require “armed overwatch” (aka a regular Cst with a firearm), which basically negates the value the Aux Csts provide of freeing up regular officers.

Thanks for the info K95, I was curious because offhand I'd never heard of an RCMP 'auxiliary' program and now I know why. Lousy way/reason for the program to end :(.

Years ago I applied to the force after getting my degree; I figured with a grandfather who'd been in RCMP, including many years spent in an early version of what became the RCMP Security Service, I might have a leg up. Unfortunately less than stellar eyesight, unaided by contact lens', did in my application, heh....

#962 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 11 April 2019 - 11:05 PM

"Out of the many factors facing the police financing controversy the major problem is undoubtedly maternity leave, according to a new study by The Old Boys Network."
  • Greg, sdwright.vic and thundergun like this

#963 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,345 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 12 April 2019 - 07:31 AM

Well, if Surrey converts to a municipal force, there will be a lot of RCMP officers available to take vacant positions.

#964 tedward

tedward
  • 1,974 posts
  • LocationJames Bay

Posted 12 April 2019 - 07:46 AM

Well, if Surrey converts to a municipal force, there will be a lot of RCMP officers available to take vacant positions.

Haha, oh wait, were you serious?

I'd say the majority of RCMP officers in Surrey would simply re-badge to the municipal force.

• jonny likes this

Lake Side Buoy - LEGO Nut - History Nerd - James Bay resident

#965 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,345 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 12 April 2019 - 07:52 AM

^ maybe. Surrey is seriously looking at it.

I'm not sure what usually happens though, in regards to personel. Wouldn't it make more sense for them to stay RCMP, especially if they've already got some seniority and pension in?

Edited by lanforod, 12 April 2019 - 07:52 AM.

#966 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,558 posts

Posted 12 April 2019 - 07:57 AM

I know that a lot of cops who want to flee Surrey as fast as possible, but they’re there because it’s RCMP and that’s their posting.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#967 thundergun

thundergun
  • 1,172 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 12 April 2019 - 09:02 AM

So you are going to budget extra resources for every department in a company because someone might become pregnant? 

That might be how it is done in Government but I don't know of too many private companies that keep that sort of headroom in budgets.

No. When someone goes on leave, be it maternity/short or long-term disability, their associated costs are moved to a different area, typically overseen by HR. This 'frees up' budget space in the department. It doesn't make sense to 'punish' a department when someone is injured, has a serious illness etc. This is fairly standard practice at private companies as well as government, but my definition of large and yours might be different.

If you are a large organization, you would have a budget for these types of things - assuming that the org. pays for maternity leave top-ups, or STD/LTD. Also in a larger org. leaves per year would tend to be more even across a larger population than at a small org. where a single leave could wildly swing the budget.

#968 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 12 April 2019 - 09:05 AM

If we had a large regional police force instead of a bunch of small police forces there would be more resiliency in the system to backfill vacancies and leaves of absences. 

• tedward and VIResident like this

#969 Gipper

Gipper
  • 314 posts

Posted 13 April 2019 - 11:08 AM

Haha, oh wait, were you serious?

I'd say the majority of RCMP officers in Surrey would simply re-badge to the municipal force.

That was the idea but Doug McCallum's broadsides at his own Mounties has disgusted most of them. Some were leaning towards joining or on the fence but now most want nothing to do with the new department.
  • Mike K. likes this

#970 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 53,042 posts

Posted 13 April 2019 - 11:20 AM

Wouldn't it make more sense for them to stay RCMP, especially if they've already got some seniority and pension in?

those are both probably transferable.

#971 gstc84

gstc84
  • 521 posts

Posted 02 May 2019 - 08:51 AM

I've started seeing beat cops walking the streets downtown pretty regularly over the last couple of weeks - something I haven't seen in Victoria in years. An older guy stopped a pair of them on Broad St a few days ago and told them how great it was to see them walking the beat again.

#972 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,014 posts

Posted 02 May 2019 - 09:15 AM

I've started seeing beat cops walking the streets downtown pretty regularly over the last couple of weeks - something I haven't seen in Victoria in years. An older guy stopped a pair of them on Broad St a few days ago and told them how great it was to see them walking the beat again.

Start of cruise ship season. Don't worry they will be gone come fall.

• Midnightly likes this

#973 tjv

tjv
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 02 May 2019 - 09:42 AM

those are both probably transferable.

I doubt it.  They have already stated they will start recruitment in July.  If they were just transferring people from RCMP, why would they need new people

Also  

Mounties say Surrey hasn’t asked them whether they would like to join city’s new police force

https://www.theglobe...d-like-to-join/

#974 RFS

RFS
  • 5,444 posts

Posted 02 May 2019 - 10:03 AM

"Out of the many factors facing the police financing controversy the major problem is undoubtedly maternity leave, according to a new study by The Old Boys Network."

Yes I'm sure you know better than them. Afterall, you're woke right

#975 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,014 posts

Posted 21 June 2019 - 02:49 PM

The VicPD board co-chairs are directing that any future correspondence or information requests to/from VicPD be conducted through the police board which will respond "at their earliest opportunity". Since the police board meets once a month that might add some delays.

https://pub-victoria...ocumentId=41717

#976 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,558 posts

Posted 21 June 2019 - 03:09 PM

Requests from council, or the media?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#977 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,014 posts

Posted 21 June 2019 - 04:09 PM

Requests from council, or the media?

Council.

#978 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,042 posts

Posted 27 June 2019 - 04:08 AM

since our new artist in residence is a singer can we get her to record some soothing hold music for VicPD? or maybe she can be stationed at the police department lobby on weekends and sing out the new weekday-only hours to anyone that drops by.

https://www.timescol...ptly-1.23868764

Manak said his department is so overworked that there were 46 calls on hold at 7 p.m. Tuesday.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 27 June 2019 - 04:19 AM.

• Rob Randall and VIResident like this

#979 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,558 posts

Posted 27 June 2019 - 05:42 AM

I’ve been saying for so long that when you call VicPD you better be prepared for “not enough available units” even if your call is relatively high on the priority list.

Is this when the province steps in? Surely this can’t go on.
  • Midnightly and pennymurphy2000 like this

Know it all.

#980 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,042 posts

Posted 27 June 2019 - 05:45 AM

also sometimes when 46 911 calls are on hold 12 of them are reporting the same incident. i’m sure bad car crashes at intersections are like that.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 27 June 2019 - 05:46 AM.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users