Photo

University of Victoria (UVic) news and issues

• Please log in to reply
746 replies to this topic

#701 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,781 posts

Posted 26 January 2024 - 05:18 PM

Aastra proves it is possible to have even less faith in human kind than I have.

#702 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,566 posts

Posted 26 January 2024 - 05:34 PM

So again I ask, what is the end-goal of what Saad is talking about? When you figure that out, a lot more will make sense. I promise.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#703 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,781 posts

Posted 26 January 2024 - 05:36 PM

What is the end game of the woke?

#704 Tony

Tony
  • 520 posts

Posted 26 January 2024 - 05:45 PM

What is the end game of the woke?

Please tell us.

How do you recognize the woke?

#705 phx

phx
  • 1,863 posts

Posted 26 January 2024 - 06:51 PM

Please tell us.

How do you recognize the woke?

Wokism is Marxism, but with the oppressed and oppressors demarcated by race, sex, etc. instead of economic status.

Woke people used to be proud to identify as woke, but now tend to deny it and even deny that wokism exists.

Edited by phx, 26 January 2024 - 06:53 PM.

• Nparker likes this

#706 phx

phx
  • 1,863 posts

Posted 26 January 2024 - 06:52 PM

Edited by phx, 26 January 2024 - 06:52 PM.

#707 Tony

Tony
  • 520 posts

Posted 26 January 2024 - 08:52 PM

Marx condemned capitalism as a system. His reasoning was as follows: although workers produce things for the market, market forces, not workers, control things. People are required to work for capitalists who have full control over the means of production and maintain power in the workplace.

In a woke system who are the opressed and who are the opressors? How does this relate to to the capitalist system the core concept of Marxism.  Could not any system be woke by your definition even a communist or so called social democracy?

#708 phx

phx
  • 1,863 posts

Posted 26 January 2024 - 09:18 PM

In a woke system who are the opressed and who are the opressors? 

There is a scale of oppression points. You get points for each of the marginalized identities you have, such as being black, fat, disabled, lesbian, etc.

Unlike marxism, it isn’t specifically about economic systems. Being poor or working-class will get you a few points on the victimhood scale, though.

Edited by phx, 26 January 2024 - 09:24 PM.

• Victoria Watcher likes this

#709 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,504 posts

Posted 26 January 2024 - 09:34 PM

Shoot. Forget universities. They are starting in kindergarten. I’m in a blended homeschool program so I’m close to the curriculum. A recent grade 7 earth science project was all about reciting the virtues of climate change. No inquiry, no debate, just question asking to confirm it. Classic programming. So the question “explain how scientists can know the climate a thousand years ago from an ice core.” Can only be passed by confirming they can. If you answer, “They can’t. That’s ridiculous!” You would fail the question.

#710 Tony

Tony
  • 520 posts

Posted 27 January 2024 - 09:10 AM

Can you explain how scientists can know the climate a thousand years ago from an ice core?

Neither a yes they can or no they cant is an acceptable answer.( Unless it is a a poor example of a multiple choice question.)  Is there a rubric provided to help evaluate the response to this question? The quality of the answer   yes or no or maybe is the important item, 

Can you provide the rubric if one was given.

#711 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,504 posts

Posted 27 January 2024 - 10:29 AM

That’s the question. Like “explain how fire makes water boil.”
The subject is science. In this case, earth science.
It should be “explain what scientists found in their ice core samples and why they make assumptions about our climate history based on those findings.”

I can copy the exact section later to remove my paraphrasing.
  • Nparker and Victoria Watcher like this

#712 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 53,083 posts

Posted 04 February 2024 - 04:34 AM

The University of Victoria is looking to establish a new faculty focused on health education, training and research as early as May.

The move is seen as a way to improve research and educational offerings in B.C.’s increasingly competitive post-secondary environment, with the university saying it has potential to “generate more donor funds, sponsored research and government support.”

Students in many existing health-related studies at UVic could soon be receive their diplomas from the proposed faculty of health.

Those affected would include students studying nursing, social work, kinesiology and public health.

The faculty of human and social development would shut down as many of its departments are earmarked to join the new faculty.

A draft proposal from a 19-person university committee recommends establishing the faculty of health on May 1.

https://www.timescol...-by-may-8206942

#713 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,781 posts

Posted 04 February 2024 - 08:18 AM

We don't need more of UVic's ultra woke philosophy invading our healthcare system.

#714 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,348 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 04 February 2024 - 08:31 AM

At the core this is a reorganization. I think. It’s not a net new faculty.

#715 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,014 posts

Posted 04 February 2024 - 09:42 AM

We don't need more of UVic's ultra woke philosophy invading our healthcare system.

I don’t think the intent is to do anything more than expand the number of foreign ‘students’ they can sell $40K a year tuition packages to. If we call it healthcare then perhaps they can get a waiver on the proposed limits.
  • Lorenzo and Victoria Watcher like this

#716 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,348 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 04 February 2024 - 11:56 AM

You’re wrong.

#717 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,083 posts

Posted 05 February 2024 - 02:49 PM

screenshot-twitter.com-2024.02.05-17_49_11.png

GFld_UqXsAAL8f4.jpg

#718 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,781 posts

Posted 05 February 2024 - 03:10 PM

2/3 of those requests are complete BS. I hope they end up striking for a very long time.

#719 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,083 posts

Posted 08 February 2024 - 11:38 PM

University of Victoria cutting budget by $13M

Cut represents 4% of total operating budget. Staff reductions are expected.

https://www.timescol...million-8274232

It’s a 4% cut. Don’t they have enough reserves to simply reduce staff through natural attrition? Which surely is closer to 10%.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 08 February 2024 - 11:43 PM.

#720 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,083 posts

Posted 09 February 2024 - 04:27 AM

The province needs to invest significantly more in post-secondary education, a member of the students’ society said, after the University of Victoria announced a $13-million budget cut.

Cleo Philp, director of campaigns and community relations for the University of Victoria Students’ Society, said the society has raised concerns for years with the Ministry of Post-Secondary Education and Future Skills about the university’s unsustainable reliance on international-student tuition for revenue.

“Every single one of my predecessors has highlighted this is what is going to happen. And here it is happening. The ministry seems to have literally no plans on changing anything about it, which is upsetting,” Philp said.

https://www.timescol...et-cuts-8281032

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users