CANCELLED
Johnson Street Gateway
Uses: condo, commercial
Address: 1314-1324 Wharf Street
Municipality: Victoria
Region: Downtown Victoria
Storeys: 8
Condo units: (studio/bachelor, 1BR, 2BR, 3BR, penthouse, live-work)
Sales status: in planning
The eight-storey Johnson Street Gateway/Northern Junk condominium and ground floor commercial development is c... (view full profile)
Learn more about Johnson Street Gateway on Citified.ca
Photo

[Downtown Victoria] Johnson Street Gateway (Northern Junk) | condos; commercial | 7-storeys | Cancelled in 2019

Condo Commercial

• Please log in to reply
1740 replies to this topic

#641 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,559 posts

Posted 03 February 2012 - 07:26 AM

aastra, thank you for your observations further up in this thread. You've helped illustrate just how well this project works within the context of old town guidelines.

In response to Bob Fugger:

My opinion has been formed by a review of the 100 plus pages of information presented at the Policy and Governance Committee meeting of December 15th as well as the additional information of January 26th. If one must be recused for forming an opinion to soon, we would have to include Mayor Fortin as he has stated he is in favour of this project.

The HAC performs an advisory function only. Council decides.

Mr. Johnson, nobody is suggesting you are not able to form an opinion of a project prior to reviewing it as a member of a City Hall committee. But you have elected to go far beyond that by launching a media campaign on multiple fronts as part of efforts of a heritage advocacy/lobby group of which you are president. This is not akin to an elected politician supporting a project from its inception.

If Mayor Fortin had mounted a campaign to engage the local media with overtones of support for the project and headed a group supporting/lobbying for the project one could say that it is fair and valid for opponents with ties to City Hall to engage in similar activity. However, one could also assume that having done this, Mayor Fortin would have excused himself from the council chambers if he were to preside over a vote for Northern Junk.

But what has transpired is a president of a lobby group orchestrating an offensive against a project, and who will soon act in the capacity of chair of a committee that directly influences Victoria city council on matters of heritage.

In this instance, your position as president of a lobby group and as chair of an advisory committee at City Hall appear to conflict with one another.

Mr. Johnson, I do wish to thank you for your continued participation on this issue. It is not easy to step into the "house" of individuals who may not necessarily see eye to eye with you and engage them.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#642 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,493 posts

Posted 03 February 2012 - 07:53 AM

Well said Mike. that bit on the daily did inspire me to come on and make comments...

#643 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 03 February 2012 - 08:35 AM

I too want to think Mr. Johnson for his participation on the forum. It is very much appreciated.

#644 Bob Fugger

Bob Fugger

Chief Factor

• 3,190 posts
  • LocationSouth Central CSV

Posted 03 February 2012 - 08:36 AM

Mr. Johnson, nobody is suggesting you are not able to form an opinion of a project prior to reviewing it as a member of a City Hall committee. But you have elected to go far beyond that by launching a media campaign on multiple fronts as part of efforts of a heritage advocacy/lobby group of which you are president. This is not akin to an elected politician supporting a project from its inception.

This is exactly what the problem is - and it is on its face a breach of legal convention and precedence. Thank you for your succinct summation of the issue.

Mr. Johnson, I do wish to thank you for your continued participation on this issue. It is not easy to step into the "house" of individuals who may not necessarily see eye to eye with you and engage them.

Ditto.

#645 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,148 posts

Posted 03 February 2012 - 08:39 AM

Well said Mike. that bit on the daily did inspire me to come on and make comments...

What bit on the daily? I missed that.

#646 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,559 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 12:50 PM

There was a story on this project and it referenced VV. Unlike the Times Colonist's editors, Shaw's The Daily editorial team has no problem referencing its sources.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#647 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 07 February 2012 - 05:05 PM

Neutrality is only required in a situation where there is an expectation of a quasi-judicial process. BY their very nature as city committees and advisory boards and being appointed by a partisan elected council to advise their decision making, they can not be quasi-judicial in nature. It may be called a hearing, but it is not a hearing in the sense of a court hearing.

The hearings held on developments are a chance for more input to be gathered and considered. There is no requirement to have to use this input in any way shape or form.

#648 Jon S

Jon S
  • 227 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 11:16 PM

We will make sure our part of the Walkway is there.....

http://www.vicnews.c.../138531219.html
Jon Stovell
President
Reliance Properties

#649 Bob Fugger

Bob Fugger

Chief Factor

• 3,190 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 08:17 AM

Neutrality is only required in a situation where there is an expectation of a quasi-judicial process. BY their very nature as city committees and advisory boards and being appointed by a partisan elected council to advise their decision making, they can not be quasi-judicial in nature. It may be called a hearing, but it is not a hearing in the sense of a court hearing.

The hearings held on developments are a chance for more input to be gathered and considered. There is no requirement to have to use this input in any way shape or form.

Yes - I understand that black letter administrative law intends that nemo iudex in causa sua apply only to quasi-judicial hearings. However, my argument is that it is not unreasonable to suggest that this fundamental principle of natural justice - the rule against bias - ought to apply as well to a committee such as the Heritage Advisory Committee: a committee that while de jure has no power, de facto weilds a lot of influence on the decision-makers themselves. If the decsion-makers are receiving advice upon which to act that is itself biased, then arguably it follows that the decision-makers decision is inherently bias. We're asking Council to bake a pie from the fruit of a poisoned tree.

#650 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 10:37 AM

Well said Bob. I have concerns about this as well. Mostly because of the active media campaign. Had that not occurred I would have been ambivalent. This committee has never been balanced.

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#651 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,559 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 11:07 AM

From the City of Victoria's website (http://www.victoria....tee-tor.shtml):

Terms Applicable to all Public Advisory Committees

- To consider and provide advice to a Council Standing Committee on matters referred to the Public Advisory Committee by the Council Standing Committee.
- To consider and provide advice to the Council on matters referred to the Public Advisory Committee by the Council.
- To consider and provide advice to the relevant Standing Committee of Council on matters within the Public Advisory Committee’s specific terms of reference.

Specific Terms of Reference for the Heritage Advisory Committee

Primary reporting relationship: Council Standing Committee on Planning and Land Use.

- To advise the Standing Committee on those heritage matters coming within the scope of the committee under the Local Government Act or that are referred to it by the Standing Committee.
- To make recommendations to the Standing Committee respecting the designation of heritage buildings, structures and lands, and the preservation, alteration, renovation or demolition of heritage buildings, structures or lands.
- To meet jointly with the Advisory Design Panel to review and provide recommendations to the Standing Committee on development proposals referred to a joint meeting.

Know it all.

#652 Bob Fugger

Bob Fugger

Chief Factor

• 3,190 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 11:50 AM

^ Yup. De jure advice, de facto power.

#653 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 07:44 PM

The Union - thread has 7 pages started in 2007

The Sovereign - thread has 10 pages started in 2007

This thread has 27 what gives?

It has a whole new look!

#654 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,148 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 07:49 PM

^ This project is positioned on a piece of property that is probably one of the most prized and available in the city.

It deserves all the attention it can get.

#655 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 08:49 PM

I guess so I was thinking that it may be the controversy in which case it makes little sense with the Sovereign being the tallest building in Old Town and the Union actually sitting neck and neck with other heritage buildings along a street wall making context more important.

It has a whole new look!

#656 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,148 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 08:55 PM

I agree, although mix a little waterfront in with a couple of old buildings that haven't fallen down yet .....and you got yourself a truckload of conversation.

#657 Jon S

Jon S
  • 227 posts

Posted 09 February 2012 - 11:47 AM

An update for Hallmark.

https://mail.google....356395c85ec0955

We hope supporters will also attend these two meetings to observe.
Jon Stovell
President
Reliance Properties

#658 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,559 posts

Posted 09 February 2012 - 11:48 AM

Sorry Jon, that link doesn't seem to be working.

Know it all.

#659 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 09 February 2012 - 11:52 AM

When are the two meetings again? I think a large VV audience would go a long way to keep things in perspective for the members. I will try to go should I be able to sneak away.

It has a whole new look!

#660 Jon S

Jon S
  • 227 posts

Posted 09 February 2012 - 12:21 PM

We will confirm the second meeting date but the Heritage Meeting is on the 14th.
Jon Stovell
President
Reliance Properties

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Facebook (1), Bing (1)