CANCELLED
Johnson Street Gateway
Uses: condo, commercial
Address: 1314-1324 Wharf Street
Municipality: Victoria
Region: Downtown Victoria
Storeys: 8
Condo units: (studio/bachelor, 1BR, 2BR, 3BR, penthouse, live-work)
Sales status: in planning
The eight-storey Johnson Street Gateway/Northern Junk condominium and ground floor commercial development is c... (view full profile)
Learn more about Johnson Street Gateway on Citified.ca
Photo

[Downtown Victoria] Johnson Street Gateway (Northern Junk) | condos; commercial | 7-storeys | Cancelled in 2019

Condo Commercial

• Please log in to reply
1740 replies to this topic

#1681 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,691 posts

Posted 06 October 2018 - 08:56 AM

I often wonder how people can live in the same place but have such vastly different perspectives on what surrounds them.

...parkland is scarce, and once it is gone, it does not come back. The vistas of our harbour and the new bridge will be lost forever...With other plans to develop the Wharf Street parking lots, this is a good time to say no to this project and show the citizens that council is ready to preserve the views of our great harbour...

https://www.timescol...land-1.23455082

First, park land is NOT scarce in the CoV. I bet no one has to walk more than a few blocks from their home to experience a park or other public open space. The new bridge is surrounded on all sides by plazas so the public's view of it is in no danger of disappearing. Restoring the once vibrant streetscape along this section of Wharf does not take away harbour views, it simply moves them to a greatly enhanced waterfront walkway. I suppose if you never leave your car your view may be diminished, but if you haven't the wherewithal to explore a few meters closer to the water, then I am not sure you really care all that much about the natural beauty of the area anyway.

Then again, it seems the writer of the above is also concerned about the development of the Wharf Street parking lots, so that tells me all I need to know.

#1682 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,487 posts

Posted 06 October 2018 - 09:05 AM

Of all the parks in Victoria that should be paved it’s that one! Perhaps the citizens should form a go fund me page so they can buy the lot and develop their park. It’s marginal to even be preserving the junky buildings. I’m only in favour of that because it will make the location more interesting.

#1683 On the Level

On the Level
  • 2,891 posts

Posted 06 October 2018 - 09:17 AM

Looking back through the designs, the 12 storey mini tower design was SO good.  Massing was perfect and it would have been a real landmark building on the harbour

I went onto citified and compared the two designs / artists renderings and you're right, the mini tower was a much better fit.  Ironically you ended up with much less of an impact, less of a footprint and more green space.  

I suppose folks will hear "12 stories" and simply say no....without looking at the design.

• Nparker and AllseeingEye like this

#1684 aastra

aastra
  • 20,742 posts

Posted 06 October 2018 - 09:25 AM

The vistas of our harbour and the new bridge will be lost forever.

New things ruin historic Victoria except for the new bridge which makes historic Victoria much better.

• Nparker, AllseeingEye and Bob Fugger like this

#1685 Baro

Baro
  • 4,317 posts

Posted 06 October 2018 - 12:06 PM

I really liked one of the early/mid designs that was a slim mini-tower.  It was elegant and made the lower massive of the site quite light and more consistent with the heights and massing of old-town, just with a subtle mini-tower in the middle set back from the base.  By far the best design.

• RFS likes this
"beats greezy have baked donut-dough"

#1686 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 06 October 2018 - 03:23 PM

The first design that followed all of the old town guidelines, had brick, neat passageways and was only five or so storeys was the best design by far.
  • Nparker likes this

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#1687 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 06 October 2018 - 04:48 PM

Ironically it is Madoff’s bridge that makes this project possible with the footprint that it has. Had the new bridge not been built the property to build on would have been smaller and block far less of the view beyond the shore from Johnson Street.

And let’s remember the sale of excess land was one of the ways of mitigating financial risk.
  • Nparker likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#1688 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,589 posts

Posted 06 October 2018 - 05:41 PM

I went onto citified and compared the two designs / artists renderings and you're right, the mini tower was a much better fit.  Ironically you ended up with much less of an impact, less of a footprint and more green space.  

I suppose folks will hear "12 stories" and simply say no....without looking at the design.

Oh pish posh man...leave yer fancy pants logic and factual word games at home...it was tall dammit! That's all that matters. The end.

PS - totally agree BTW that was by far the best design but, you know....12 floors...so...the end of human civilization as we know it.

Edited by AllseeingEye, 06 October 2018 - 05:41 PM.

• aastra, Nparker and grantpalin like this

#1689 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 08 October 2018 - 04:52 PM

The Northern Junk project and the Downtown Residents Association get a special mention in my latest blog post. 

https://www.sidewalk...ss-public-space

• Baro, DougG and Brantastic like this

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#1690 2F2R

2F2R
  • 675 posts

Posted 22 February 2019 - 07:41 PM

Just about 9 years in the planning so far ... this thing could have been finished 7 years ago ...

• jonny likes this

#1691 Citified.ca

Citified.ca
  • Administrator
  • 2,290 posts
  • LocationVictoria, BC

Posted 09 April 2019 - 10:56 AM

It's the end of the road for this project as conceived. The new vision calls for a much smaller building with rentals in lieu of condos, and it will not utilize City-owned land.

New thread: https://vibrantvicto...oreys-proposed/

Victoria’s trepidation over bridge land sell-off forces Northern Junk proposal to slim down, nix condos in favour of rentals

https://victoria.cit...our-of-rentals/

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#1692 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 09 April 2019 - 03:23 PM

End of a long journey. Well, I remember when I first learned about this proposal. I put down the telegram and got into my carriage and raced to meet the developer as fast as ol' Chestnut could take me.
  • Mike K., Greg, jonny and 1 other like this

#1693 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,691 posts

Posted 09 April 2019 - 03:34 PM

End of a long journey...

It's probably just the middle of an even longer journey. There's still a lot of CoV-devised hurdles this needs to get through. If I were the developer I'd pull all my proposals and let the NJ buildings turn to rubble at this point. I'd totally "Clara Kramer" this baby.

• sdwright.vic, grantpalin and DavidSchell like this

#1694 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 10 April 2019 - 07:43 AM

At this point, if I was Reliance, I'd be doing this the cheapest and most profitable way possible. Screw the CoV. 

• Nparker likes this

#1695 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 10 April 2019 - 07:45 AM

They’ll still need permission to build to that height so design panel approval is critical.

Know it all.

#1696 Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

• 2,235 posts

Posted 10 April 2019 - 08:04 AM

I'd totally "Clara Kramer" this baby.

That's hilarious!

• Nparker likes this
Don't be so sure.:cool:

#1697 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 10 April 2019 - 08:16 AM

At this point, if I was Reliance, I'd be doing this the cheapest and most profitable way possible. Screw the CoV. 

Unfortunately those two are mutually exclusive. Without rezoning, they can go up to a whopping two storeys on Wharf Street, no residential permitted on the ground floor.

#1698 laconic

laconic
  • 741 posts

Posted 10 April 2019 - 08:30 AM

The Roundhouse also seems to be inching its way to Clara Kramer status.

#1699 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 16 May 2019 - 06:53 AM

T-C Article on upcoming open house:  https://www.timescol...lans-1.23824237

#1700 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 16 May 2019 - 07:20 AM

Right.

The public is invited to attend a May 22nd info session between 4:30 and 7PM at 1607 Douglas Street.

Know it all.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users