Bear Mountain insolvency

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
324 replies to this topic

#281 Zoe

Zoe
  • 282 posts

Posted 09 March 2011 - 06:44 PM

"shrill, ill informed and live in a world of negativity"

As opposed to the pro-BM geniuses, who are all sweetness and love.

I'm glad for the opportunity to inform myself by reading these documents and attending Len Barrie's hearings in criminal court.

(Putting myrage back on "ignore" now.)

#282 Zoe

Zoe
  • 282 posts

Posted 09 March 2011 - 06:54 PM

March 29 is the next hearing date for Len's not-tax-evasion charges. The charges have not been dropped, so he will have to plead guilty and proceed to sentencing, or plead not guilty and prepare for trial.

#283 LJ

LJ
  • 12,702 posts

Posted 09 March 2011 - 08:04 PM

This undated document says Wall Street is going to loan him $300 million, using a life insurance policy as collateral. Excuse me for being skeptical.

Tracy - who wrote this? It could be pure speculation or fabrication, you're not going down that road again are you.

Please post factual documentation only, or share your opinions, don't post someone else's undated, unsigned writings.
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#284 LJ

LJ
  • 12,702 posts

Posted 09 March 2011 - 08:09 PM

Strange that Len would be making investment deals in Mexico. Doesn't he still owe big piles of money to Langford, Revenue Canada, HSBC, et al?

From this document:

I noticed a couple references to confidentiality on the documents as well. Unfortunately, the site doesn't seem to be terribly secure.

Did he make a deal?? I don't see any signature on the document. I could make up the same document and substitute your name for Len's, would that make it real or valid. Do you like issuing apologies?

#285 LJ

LJ
  • 12,702 posts

Posted 09 March 2011 - 08:16 PM

"The locals hate all of the Bare Mountain types - developers, investors, and residents. They destroyed the area, shaved the mountain of trees, paved everything in sight and have no regard for nature and the natural beauty of the area. They drive big piggish SUVs, suck up resources like water and have caused the box store creep.

" The locals love all the Bear Mountain types - developers, investors and residents. They improved the area, got rid of some scrubby third growth trees, provided access for everyone to enjoy nature and the natural beauty of the area. They drive vehicles that allow people to commune with nature, provide reclaimed rain water for irrigation, and provided shopping and commercial enterprise to the local population."

My quote is better than your quote!!!!!

#286 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 09 March 2011 - 09:58 PM

Alright alright, let's all behave, please :)

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#287 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 12 March 2011 - 10:43 AM

Let's ask ourselves this question before we post: is society at large going to realize a benefit from what I have to contribute?

Now let's behave, please and thanks :)

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#288 Lorenzo

Lorenzo
  • 434 posts
  • LocationWest Shore

Posted 12 March 2011 - 11:48 AM

Let's ask ourselves this question before we post: is society at large going to realize a benefit from what I have to contribute?

Where's the fun in that? May as well read the paper. :D

#289 mysage

mysage
  • 515 posts

Posted 12 March 2011 - 12:29 PM

Now let's behave, please and thanks :)

MikeK,

When one posts to virtually any thread on VV one deals with posters on those treads, who while one may not agree with, one can expect a reasonably well thought out and factual response that does not deteriorate into mudslinging and outright false information being passed off as fact.. This does not seem to be the case with Bear Mountain. Why is that?

The answer in my opinion is your uneven monitoring as to what is acceptable on the Bear Mountain thread. I think that you use the Bear Mountain thread to drive traffic to the site. As a recent example you have deleted a thread by LJ that was in response to a direct insult from another poster - yet the original posters insult was allowed to stand. As another example you allowed to stand a poster refering to someone else who is not a VV poster as an "arrogant bastard". This was allowed to stand and the examples go on and on.

It is time that you montor the name calling, innuendo, false reporting, out right lies and the like from the main offenders on this thread. If you don't you will see the continuing decline of intelligent posters to the point that VV becomes irrelevant.

No one is saying that one cann't have lively debate but at least bring the Bear Mountain thread into line with the other threads and censure those who use VV for their own personal attacks.

#290 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 12 March 2011 - 12:59 PM

What about people that are obviously involved with the project but refuse to admit it?

#291 manuel

manuel
  • 595 posts

Posted 12 March 2011 - 02:42 PM

What about people that are obviously involved with the project but refuse to admit it?

Agreed. This is done for politics threads, why not development ones.
"I know nothing"

#292 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 12 March 2011 - 04:01 PM

Bear Mountain discussions on this forum have a tendency to bring out the very worst in too many people. The endless bickering and childish insults on this thread lend themselves to increased moderation and more banned accounts than can be tied to any other topic. This behavior is a terrible reflection on VV and it is irritating to readers as well other participants.

Bear Mountain has been a very contested development in Victoria and it is understandable that emotions can still get the better of some individuals, but quite honestly we are not interested in continuously stepping in to moderate mudslinging.

If anyone objects to our moderation then there is the option of discontinuing participation altogether. There is no requirement to contribute particularly if responses are not in keeping with the caliber seen on the rest of the forum.

We're asking everyone to think before they post and answer the question of whether a response is appropriate without the moderation team having to do it for them.

That's about all I have to say on the matter.

Know it all.

#293 mysage

mysage
  • 515 posts

Posted 12 March 2011 - 04:13 PM

What's this got to do with what I am saying? I am saying that VV needs to maintain its credibility by ensuring that both sides to an agrument are held accountable for what they say and both sides are given equal treatment.

#294 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 12 March 2011 - 04:19 PM

And what I'm saying is that until those with counter arguments can voice their concern in a respectful manner and conduct themselves like adults we have no desire to maintain such content. Irrespective of what our personal take on BM is, we ask that everyone respect the opinions of others or agree to respectfully disagree.

It is not VV's role to research the facts behind posts. We have no mandate to hold anyone accountable to anything and everyone posts under their account with the understanding that each post leaves an identifiable digital footprint. If someone disagrees with another members post they have the freedom to pose a counter argument or raise doubt, but when that is done in an inappropriate manner we step in.

For the record I personally have no quips with BM. It is what it is and whether anybody hates it or loves it at least is has led to a lot of meaningful debate throughout the CRD.

Know it all.

#295 mysage

mysage
  • 515 posts

Posted 12 March 2011 - 04:22 PM

And what I'm saying is that until those with counter arguments can voice their concern in a respectful manner and conduct themselves like adults we have no desire to maintain such content. Irrespective of what our personal take on BM is, we ask that everyone respect the opinions of others or agree to respectfully disagree.

For the record I personally have no quips with BM. It is what it is and whether we hate it or love it's led to a lot of meaningful debate throughout the CRD.

Finally. Thank you.

#296 Zoe

Zoe
  • 282 posts

Posted 12 March 2011 - 08:48 PM

Thanks, Mike. I think there's a legitimate public interest in Bear Mountain's financial issues. They've affected a lot of people.

I don't think this case has been reported anywhere yet. Bear Mountain Master Partnership is suing Mark Wagstaff, a co-owner of the Grizzlies.

BEAR MOUNTAIN MASTER PARTNERSHIP v WAGSTAFF, Mark
Supreme Civil (General)
Victoria Law Courts file 104959
filed 09 Dec 2010
updated 03 Feb 2011

#297 hyslop911

hyslop911
  • 2 posts

Posted 13 March 2011 - 02:07 PM

Hi Zoe

"The locals hate all of the Bare Mountain types - developers, investors, and residents. They destroyed the area, shaved the mountain of trees, paved everything in sight and have no regard for nature and the natural beauty of the area. They drive big piggish SUVs, suck up resources like water and have caused the box store creep.
How is Len Barrie going to make a billion dollars now? .... Langford residents should take back their town and drive this arrogant bastard into bankruptcy"

The upper comment is from a "The Province" reader - here is the link
http://www.theprovin...html?id=4174474

Yea - it seams Barrie is making strange deals with Adroit Capital Group New Rochelle, NY www.adroitcapital.com -> the IP 65.116.84.225 is Qwest Communications in Illinois

#298 LJ

LJ
  • 12,702 posts

Posted 13 March 2011 - 06:50 PM

Hi Zoe

Oh, well that makes it valid, I still like my quote better.

Yea - it seams Barrie is making strange deals with Adroit Capital Group New Rochelle, NY www.adroitcapital.com -> the IP 65.116.84.225 is Qwest Communications in Illinois

Couldn't find anything there, got a better link?

#299 mysage

mysage
  • 515 posts

Posted 14 March 2011 - 07:36 AM

Hi Zoe

Your kidding right?

Your passing off some anonymous letter to the editor in Vancouver a month or so ago as fact on how the locals view Bear Mountain?

Nothing on the link you provided and really who cares. Business discussions are being done every minute of the day. When something happens it is news - until then it is not worth a thing.

#300 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 14 March 2011 - 09:45 AM

This thread appears to have become a personal vendetta for certain individuals against Len Barrie.
Regardless of how it comes out in the wash and whether you like it or not, this project has created homes for thousands, jobs for thousands and has had a significant impact on our local economy. Its also contributed to the beautification of a municipality that was the laughing stock of the rest of Victoria.
Because it appears to have been hijacked by one person, I and others have limited or stopped commenting on it as there is no room for debate or discussion anymore due to the tunnel vision of this one person.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users