171 replies to this topic

#81 James Bay walker

James Bay walker

CustomUserTitle

• 638 posts
  • LocationJames Bay

Posted 06 March 2014 - 10:51 AM

Everyone should opt out at http://delivery.ypg.com/

I just did after starting to write that they should have an easy way to opt out lol! Such a waist. Two were on my door step and went straight into the recycle. Handy they showed up on a Tuesday before the Thurday pickup at least. This is not a good use for our precious trees! 

Aren't they made with recycled paper anyway (which again gets recycled after their use)? 

I suspect delivery's the bottleneck.  It's just so easy to dump piles of books at apartment & office blocks (predisposing the delivery process towards "all or nothing"), else Telus could charge $2/book payable at least two months ahead of distribution (which would probably get maybe half the current customers to decline delivery).  A pity there's no 'Telus' store handy anymore where we could buy a phone book over the counter (they could add that service to the various outlets selling Telus services, though).

Lots of businesses do not have online service in their store or restaurant (so surely they'd like to have a local phonebook at hand?).

jbw

ps.  I wish they would restore phone books to payphones (agh! now $0.50/local call).

Edited by James Bay walker, 06 March 2014 - 10:53 AM.

#82 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,806 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 10:58 AM

^ I think that many businesses that do not have websites may be wondering why business has dropped off. It takes awhile for things to catch up but the phone book will be gone soon. If I had a business I would save my advertising dollars for something other than the yellow pages, like paying my kid to post FB updates regularly.

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#83 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,566 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 11:11 AM

You have to wonder why a business would opt for a Yellowpages ad in this day and age. Meanwhile they won't put a penny towards online advertising. It's weird.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#84 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,566 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 11:16 AM

Things are getting thin...

IMAG1101.jpg

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#85 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 11:47 AM

^Wow.

You have to wonder why a business would opt for a Yellowpages ad in this day and age. Meanwhile they won't put a penny towards online advertising. It's weird.

Admittedly, it's a lot easier to pick a business from the phone book's layout than from the Internet's more-or-less random endless list.

• http likes this
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#86 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,806 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 11:55 AM

^ I don't know.

Is it easier to go a flip through pages by category or just go to Google maps and type what you want, which then also gives you the business location and recent ratings?

And yes people can say that the ratings can be skewed but it seems better than choosing a place because it has a bigger graphic in the yellowpages. 

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#87 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 12:08 PM

^ I don't know.

Is it easier to go a flip through pages by category or just go to Google maps and type what you want, which then also gives you the business location and recent ratings?

And yes people can say that the ratings can be skewed but it seems better than choosing a place because it has a bigger graphic in the yellowpages. 

I agree with g-man, I haven't used a phone book for years.  I have a client that's a mortgage broker in town.  Type in "mortgage broker victoria bc" and you can probably tell which one my client is.

(Hint: 5 stars and 25 reviews)

Apart from gently reminding clients to please post a review, this advertising costs him nothing.  And honestly if you did not know one name from another on the list that comes up, wouldn't you likely call the one with all the positive reviews?

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#88 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,506 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 01:39 PM

Yellow pages are online too. the even have an app :thumbsup: 

#89 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,510 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 06 March 2014 - 01:56 PM

We have about 15 of the 30 delivered to the building remaining unclaimed. 

Can these be sent back to YPG or do they have to go in the recycle bin?

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#90 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,784 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 04:20 PM

I tossed mine straight into the recycle bin. I have exactly ZERO use for this relic from the 20th century.

#91 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,566 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 04:39 PM

But the book says "Keep until February 2015." You can't just throw it out!

• sebberry likes this

Know it all.

#92 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,510 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 06 March 2014 - 04:46 PM

I tossed mine straight into the recycle bin. I have exactly ZERO use for this relic from the 20th century.

It was handy to grab some of the local emergency numbers from to save in my phone.

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

#93 Baro

Baro
  • 4,317 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 05:00 PM

A stack of 30 arrived at my building, one for every unit.  Since delivery I'd say maybe 4 have been claimed and the stack sat and sat and now it's gone.  What a waste of paper.  I understand they wouldn't be doing this if there wasn't still money in it for them, but surely they can assume not everyone is going to take one so why print so many?  Why not just delivery 10-15 to a 30 unit building assuming barely half of people will take them?

• Nparker likes this
"beats greezy have baked donut-dough"

#94 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 05:03 PM

A stack of 30 arrived at my building, one for every unit.  Since delivery I'd say maybe 4 have been claimed and the stack sat and sat and now it's gone.  What a waste of paper.  I understand they wouldn't be doing this if there wasn't still money in it for them, but surely they can assume not everyone is going to take one so why print so many?  Why not just delivery 10-15 to a 30 unit building assuming barely half of people will take them?

Anyone here still have an outhouse?  :farmer:

#95 James Bay walker

James Bay walker

CustomUserTitle

• 638 posts
  • LocationJames Bay

Posted 06 March 2014 - 06:10 PM

Why not just delivery 10-15 to a 30 unit building assuming barely half of people will take them?

Their yellow pages provide major advertising revenue collected from businesses.  Their ad rates are based largely on their 'circulation' volume.  Cutting the volume of phone books published eats into their revenue.

To me it's a variation on the periodical's paid and unpaid circulation to justify the ad 'rate card' (how much it costs to advertise).  Only here it's used and unused editions.

jbw

ps.  However, given the cost of directory assistance, along with the convenience of perusing the yellow pages' categorized businesses, I think there's good reason for keeping a phone directory in your car trunk.

#96 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 06:14 PM

Their yellow pages provide major advertising revenue collected from businesses.  Their ad rates are based largely on their 'circulation' volume.  Cutting the volume of phone books published eats into their revenue.

To me it's a variation on the periodical's paid and unpaid circulation to justify the ad 'rate card' (how much it costs to advertise).  Only here it's used and unused editions.

EXACTLY.  That's why paid-circulation newspapers are tanking (TC) and free weeklies (Victoria News) are doing OK.  TC circulation is down almost 50% over the last 20 years (in 1991 they almost hit 100,000 copies on Fridays, it's 53,000 now), while the weeklies are up every year.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#97 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,348 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 07 March 2014 - 08:19 AM

jbw

ps.  However, given the cost of directory assistance, along with the convenience of perusing the yellow pages' categorized businesses, I think there's good reason for keeping a phone directory in your car trunk.

Phone book in the trunk? What's wrong with a smart phone?

#98 James Bay walker

James Bay walker

CustomUserTitle

• 638 posts
  • LocationJames Bay

Posted 07 March 2014 - 08:37 AM

Cost money (to buy, to use).  And awkward to use vs a phone book, to effectively use it to browse through business listings.

jbw

#99 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,510 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 07 March 2014 - 09:33 AM

Phone books can be used for weight over your drive axle when it snows and you need more traction

Phone books can be torn up and stuffed under the wheel when you're stuck in the snow and need some grip

Phone books can be burned for heat and cooking when you're cold and hungry and you finally realize you should have just bought a cell phone to call for help

You can fashion a phone book into a hat for some shelter from the rain while you're standing waiting for the tow truck to pull you out of the ditch

• Mike K., Nparker and lanforod like this

#100 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,348 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 07 March 2014 - 09:43 AM

While I realize you're a serious penny pincher from your other posts... I'll bite:

^^

If you have a car, you can probably afford a smart phone. We are talking about $50/mo average.

Besides, the phone isn't exclusively for the car. This is 2014, not 1994.

As for awkward to use, since when? I've rarely have trouble finding what I'm looking for. Typically when in a vehicle, I'm looking for a nearby restaurant, gas station (good luck finding those in phone books), tow truck or BCAA, non-emergency numbers. Phone has the added benefit of maps apps, camera, contact list etc etc etc.

Another issue with a phone book is that the phone book is useless outside of the local area. So unless you're sebberry and have a bunch of tongue in cheek uses...

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users