• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 03 June 2010 - 09:59 PM

Vic PD unveils new police car; coat of arms

By Robert Randall • Published on Thursday, June 3, 2010 •

Victoria Police Department Chief Jamie Graham unveiled the force’s new police cruiser in a ceremony today at Ships Point in the Inner Harbour.

Also shown off for the first time was the department’s new coat-of-arms, which will be the new visual identity for the force and will be seen on police vehicles and officers’ uniforms.

more

#2 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 03 June 2010 - 10:50 PM

^ I think we need to get an official ruling on "Ships Point" vs. "Ship Point" vs "Ship's Point" and end the insanity.

Causeway & Ship Point

http://www.victoriah...wercauseway.php

After the Dancing Santas visit Ship's Point

https://www.tourismv...l.aspx?eID=7203

marine leaders gathered on Ships Point at Victoria

http://www.victoriai....ca/news?page=1

performances at Ships Point

http://www.classicbo...information.htm

Fisherman's Wharf and Ships Point

http://www.esquimalt...OTW_Minutes.pdf

:confused:

#3 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 03 June 2010 - 10:59 PM

I've edited the article to read Ships' Point, which I think is the correct use (the point that belongs to ships).

So what do you think of the new car and colour scheme?

One thing I didn't mention was the surprisingly large trunk. It's very deep so they must have moved the gas tank. A sliding shelf pulls out with a needle disposal box and rubber glove dispenser beside the platform for the laptop computer. No more spilled coffee ruining the computer.

#4 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 03 June 2010 - 11:03 PM

I've edited the article to read Ships' Point, which I think is the correct use (the point that belongs to ships).

I hate to derail this thread, but I called for an official ruling, not yet a fourth spelling. The Harbour Authority that takes care of it always calls it Ship Point.

Ya, roll out the new cares, who cares. I thought kids designed it? What did they design?

EDIT: OK, the kids design a "dream car" Charger that will not become the actual car. http://www.vicpd.ca/...t01returnid=227

#5 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 03 June 2010 - 11:13 PM

This girl won a bike.

The TC archives say Ship Point overwhelmingly so I guess that's what it is, especially if the GVHA says so. I'll change my post again!

The City mechanics shouldn't have too much trouble with the Chargers as they're already servicing the PD's vans which are Dodges as well.

#6 Bob Fugger

Bob Fugger

Chief Factor

• 3,190 posts
  • LocationSouth Central CSV

Posted 04 June 2010 - 05:19 AM

EDIT: OK, the kids design a "dream car" Charger that will not become the actual car. http://www.vicpd.ca/...t01returnid=227

The contest states that first prize is a BMX bike. I'm no Tony Hawk, but that's not a BMX.

#7 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,149 posts

Posted 04 June 2010 - 05:53 AM

I've edited the article to read Ships' Point

Rob
The next time you edit the spelling of "hockey point" your spelling in the fourth paragraph is "blank-and-white"

#8 victorian fan

victorian fan
  • 1,923 posts

Posted 04 June 2010 - 06:49 AM

So what do you think of the new car and colour scheme?

It looks exactly as a police car should.

#9 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 04 June 2010 - 07:24 AM

I am surprised the city would opt for a cruiser with a big gas guzzling high horsepower engine, when they our just puttering around the city without the permission to engage in high speed pursuits.

#10 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 04 June 2010 - 07:34 AM

I am surprised the city would opt for a cruiser with a big gas guzzling high horsepower engine, when they our just puttering around the city without the permission to engage in high speed pursuits.

It says you can switch the car into 4-cylinder "gas saver" mode. Ya right, who's gonna do that when the operator doesn't pay for the fuel! I wouldn't.

But why not buy the biggest engine available in police cars? After all we have.. zero... speed limits over 50kmh in Victoria, zero highways...a municipality that measures about 4km by 3km.

#11 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,566 posts

Posted 04 June 2010 - 07:50 AM

The vehicle does not allow you to selectively engage into 4-cylinder mode. It is an automated function and as far as I am aware it is mostly suited for high gear, low-RPM highway cruising where 8-cylinders are not necessary to propel the vehicle. You need full power for stop-and-go traffic in the city.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#12 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 04 June 2010 - 08:09 AM

I am told the smaller six cylinder engines were wearing out at a faster rate.

#13 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,149 posts

Posted 04 June 2010 - 08:15 AM

After all we have.. zero... speed limits over 50kmh in Victoria, zero highways...a municipality that measures about 4km by 3km.

Police cars do not have to abide by the speed limits, do they?

I think they need to have horsepower to chase the bad guys.

#14 victorian fan

victorian fan
  • 1,923 posts

Posted 04 June 2010 - 08:35 AM

dvI3deBOMmQ

#15 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,510 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 04 June 2010 - 10:04 AM

Police cars do not have to abide by the speed limits, do they?

No, and when they do it appears to be a mighty big inconvenience for them.

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#16 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,510 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 04 June 2010 - 10:08 AM

I raised this point with the Sannich Police via their online Q and A section.

I had suggested that (while I can't stand hybrids) they consider hybrid cars such as the Camry Hybrid (like many of the new taxis). Their reply was that they weren't capable of the additional weight presented by the communications and emergency equipment.

Well, if the UK can get away with small cars, why can't we at least use some of those for inner-city work? Leave the bigger cars to patrol the more open areas.. wait.. that's Saanich's turf.

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

#17 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 04 June 2010 - 10:22 AM

The vehicle does not allow you to selectively engage into 4-cylinder mode. It is an automated function and as far as I am aware it is mostly suited for high gear, low-RPM highway cruising where 8-cylinders are not necessary to propel the vehicle. You need full power for stop-and-go traffic in the city.

Ah, OK, so that feature will only kick in and save gas during the life of that car's use outside of Victoria city, that may account for perhaps 1% of its use. That make me feel better for the environment.

#18 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,510 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 04 June 2010 - 10:28 AM

Ah, OK, so that feature will only kick in and save gas during the life of that car's use outside of Victoria city, that may account for perhaps 1% of its use. That make me feel better for the environment.

Don Sherman's article in Automobile noted described a test of the MDS. They found that only four cylinders were used during 17% of the suburban traffic portion of the test, during a full 48% of the freeway test which included "over 70 mph" speeds. Overall, the engine went to four cylinders about 40% of the time.

From http://www.allpar.co...mopar-hemi.html

#19 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,566 posts

Posted 04 June 2010 - 01:07 PM

As for the 17% suburban 4-cylinder operation, I bet that was while cruising along boulevards where only 4-cylinders could sufficiently propel a vehicle. Urban driving would yield a result much lower than 17%.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#20 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,510 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 04 June 2010 - 04:42 PM

As for the 17% suburban 4-cylinder operation, I bet that was while cruising along boulevards where only 4-cylinders could sufficiently propel a vehicle. Urban driving would yield a result much lower than 17%.

True, the beast weighs in at around 4,000lbs :o

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users