Photo

Vic PD's new police cruisers

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#21 manuel

manuel
  • 595 posts

Posted 04 June 2010 - 07:57 PM

Big ego = big car. Too bad the police haven't found out that community policing works better than acting tough. All acting tough does is *iss people off and create less respect.
"I know nothing"

#22 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,015 posts

Posted 05 June 2010 - 05:13 AM

This is what the VPD should have bought, stylish and fuel efficient

http://upload.wikime...Interceptor.JPG

#23 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 05 June 2010 - 06:18 AM

^Well, it looks like it has more back seat room!

Big ego = big car. Too bad the police haven't found out that community policing works better than acting tough. All acting tough does is *iss people off and create less respect.

Sorry, I don't follow. Does that mean if your daughter were to call 911 you'd rather the cops biked or walked there?

#24 Lorenzo

Lorenzo
  • 436 posts
  • LocationWest Shore

Posted 05 June 2010 - 07:07 AM

I am surprised the city would opt for a cruiser with a big gas guzzling high horsepower engine, when they our just puttering around the city without the permission to engage in high speed pursuits.

There were really only two choices for a North American dedicated police cruiser. The Crown Vic and the Charger. No other vehicle has the room, or comes equipped with the heavy duty componentry needed for the sustained abuse that these things are subject to. Both of these vehicles are way overpowered for a jurisdiction where the closest thing to a highway is Blanshard St., but there weren't any other viable choices.

The European options are still a way off for local PD's. A lower powered, more fuel efficient engine is all that is required locally. The days of the sustained high speed chase are over. You can't outrun a radio.

Kudos for the new colour sheme though. That leaves Saanich PD clinging to that old boring white with stripes scheme that the province mandated many years ago.

#25 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 05 June 2010 - 09:20 AM

Regarding the stabbing death last night:

Read more: http://www.timescolo...l#ixzz0puL3bzT6

I've never had to deal with something like this but I know you can get a mini-first aid kit the size of a cell phone. It has a pocket mask for doing rescue breathing as well as a pair of gloves. It's only a few dollars.

I'm all for jumping in and saving a life, but I might not do it if there is a big group of teens around and I don't know who the perp is.

#26 manuel

manuel
  • 595 posts

Posted 05 June 2010 - 06:42 PM

^Well, it looks like it has more back seat room!

Sorry, I don't follow. Does that mean if your daughter were to call 911 you'd rather the cops biked or walked there?

No Rob, that is not what I am saying. The car should be right for the task. What I've seen elsewhere is that people will take the biggest and best that they can get, without considering whether it is the best one for the job. Right size the police car to the application. The big mean car will create less respect for the police rather than more.
"I know nothing"

#27 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,566 posts

Posted 06 June 2010 - 11:20 AM

There were really only two choices for a North American dedicated police cruiser. The Crown Vic and the Charger.

Many police forces also use the new generation of Chevrolet Impala's.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#28 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,510 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 06 June 2010 - 11:27 AM

Many police forces also use the new generation of Chevrolet Impala's.

Which the police really don't like driving.

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#29 Lorenzo

Lorenzo
  • 436 posts
  • LocationWest Shore

Posted 06 June 2010 - 08:39 PM

Which the police really don't like driving.

Front wheel drive vs. curbs and potholes! A bad mix over the long haul.

#30 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,510 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 06 June 2010 - 08:42 PM

Front wheel drive vs. curbs and potholes! A bad mix over the long haul.

Hell, front wheel drive going around a corner :o :P

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users