Photo

Derelict boats on The Gorge/Brentwood/Oak Bay/Cad Bay

• Please log in to reply
576 replies to this topic

#341 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 13 December 2016 - 10:22 PM

If the vessel is underway at night a red port light and a green starboard light must be displayed.

Or if you have trouble remembering the regulation it's "There is no red port left"

#342 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 13 December 2016 - 10:39 PM

If the vessel is underway at night a red port light and a green starboard light must be displayed.

Or if you have trouble remembering the regulation it's "There is no red port left"

Only starboard wine on the left side?

For anchoring/mooring it's an all around white light, you can remember that by a powdered donut.

#343 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 14 December 2016 - 06:59 AM

How do derelict boats of an unseaworthy nature complete a voyage in the dead of winter from Victoria to Brentwood?

But in recent weeks, three or four of the Gorge boats have reportedly turned up in Brentwood Bay.

Victoria Mayor Lisa Helps said a regional approach could help.

“Maybe we’ve solved the problem by displacing it elsewhere, and I don’t think that’s a good way to be a regional player.

So I’m looking forward to learning more about a regional approach, and it’s something that I’m willing to consider,” Helps said.

Windsor said the two submerged vessels to be removed were an issue before Victoria’s Gorge deadline.

He said a consistent approach by various jurisdiction “is probably wise.”

“If vessels get pushed out of one jurisdiction, they’re probably going to migrate naturally to another,”

- See more at: http://www.timescolo...h.Y2rJZLKp.dpuf

#344 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 14 December 2016 - 07:19 AM

They are not as un-seaworthy as they are often made out to be.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#345 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,149 posts

Posted 14 December 2016 - 07:28 AM

If it floats it can be moved. If it doesn't float......end of that discussion.

#346 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 14 December 2016 - 08:27 AM

How do derelict boats of an unseaworthy nature complete a voyage in the dead of winter from Victoria to Brentwood?

Perhaps those sunken boats that were removed from the Gorge were secretly barged around to Brentwood and "dumped" there, just was was suggested by the Saanich Inlet Protection Society.

http://www.timescolo...s-say-1.4382480

#347 Daveyboy

Daveyboy
  • 534 posts

Posted 14 December 2016 - 08:43 AM

This is simply a method to avoid dealing with the issue of getting rid of the derelict boats.  Helps and crew know this is a crock.  Same boats in the Gorge day after day after day after day.

#348 nerka

nerka
  • 1,236 posts

Posted 14 December 2016 - 10:05 AM

An all white light displayed with a 360 degree range from sunset to sunrise.

When I cycled past last night I only saw two boats displaying the proper light.  This morning I counted 18 boats (plus two docks). So two out of 18 boats following this rule.  Why don't the harbour authority or the coast guard ticket them?

#349 johnk

johnk
  • 1,608 posts

Posted 14 December 2016 - 11:23 AM

How did the driver feel about it?

Didn't ask him. He was unconscious... ;-)

#350 vandervalk

vandervalk
  • 263 posts

Posted 14 December 2016 - 01:16 PM

When I cycled past last night I only saw two boats displaying the proper light.  This morning I counted 18 boats (plus two docks). So two out of 18 boats following this rule.  Why don't the harbour authority or the coast guard ticket them?

Coast Guard is not law enforcement. They cannot ticket or charge anyone. And since VicPD no longer have a boat it's a little more challenging for them to do enforcement on the water. 

• nerka likes this
Real Estate, Landscape and Family Photographer
http://www.vandervalk.ca

#351 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 14 December 2016 - 01:32 PM

Coast Guard is not law enforcement. They cannot ticket or charge anyone. And since VicPD no longer have a boat it's a little more challenging for them to do enforcement on the water. 

Under certain conditions the VicPD  can work with the fire department for the use of their boat. 

#352 nerka

nerka
  • 1,236 posts

Posted 14 December 2016 - 02:18 PM

OK - so who is responsible for enforcing the Collision Regulations under the Canada Shipping Act?  I doubt it is Vic PD.

#353 aastra

aastra
  • 20,763 posts

Posted 14 December 2016 - 04:53 PM

Didn't ask him. He was unconscious... ;-)

I admire your attention to detail.

• VicHockeyFan likes this

#354 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 14 December 2016 - 05:39 PM

OK - so who is responsible for enforcing the Collision Regulations under the Canada Shipping Act?  I doubt it is Vic PD.

Transport Canada

But:

The Criminal Code of Canada provides law enforcement authorities with the ability to charge boaters for criminal offences.

The Criminal Code also states vessels can not be operated in a manner that is dangerous to the public.

Under the Criminal Code it is illegal to knowingly operate a craft which is not seaworthy.

http://www.safeboate...ting-terms.aspx

#355 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 14 December 2016 - 05:45 PM

And why not throw a couple a guns on board, the Canadian Coast Guard should be modeled more like the US Coast Guard. Waste of resources.

#356 vandervalk

vandervalk
  • 263 posts

Posted 14 December 2016 - 06:07 PM

And why not throw a couple a guns on board, the Canadian Coast Guard should be modeled more like the US Coast Guard. Waste of resources.

Why not just use the existing Navy then to do enforcement? Or get more RCMP/Police boats to enforce, which is their job?

Canadian Coast Guard/DFO lacks the funds, personnel or vessels to do law enforcement. There are programs out there, one here in the Juan de Fuca Strait, that is called Ship Rider Program where RCMP rides along with the Bellingham USCG and Bellingham USCG ride along with the RCMP marine detachment in Sidney, I believe on a weekly basis. It's a successful program.

What needs to change are the laws around derelict vessels and wrecks in Canada. That would be a huge start.

• VicHockeyFan likes this

#357 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 14 December 2016 - 07:48 PM

Why not just use the existing Navy then to do enforcement? Or get more RCMP/Police boats to enforce, which is their job?

Canadian Coast Guard/DFO lacks the funds, personnel or vessels to do law enforcement. There are programs out there, one here in the Juan de Fuca Strait, that is called Ship Rider Program where RCMP rides along with the Bellingham USCG and Bellingham USCG ride along with the RCMP marine detachment in Sidney, I believe on a weekly basis. It's a successful program.

What needs to change are the laws around derelict vessels and wrecks in Canada. That would be a huge start.

Military policing civilians?… Guess US Coast Guard is a branch of the military.

#358 vandervalk

vandervalk
  • 263 posts

Posted 15 December 2016 - 08:01 AM

Military policing civilians?… Guess US Coast Guard is a branch of the military.

Maritme Military enforcing maritime law. Yes, USCG is a branch of the military. They can detain on the water and lay charges based on the US Shipping Act, but once they reach shore local law enforcement takes over.

Here is more on the Shiprider program if you are interested. http://www.rcmp-grc....prider-eng.htm 

#359 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 15 December 2016 - 08:28 AM

How about we task the CCG with enforcement and fund them adequately? Wouldn't that just be a crazy idea.

• todd likes this

#360 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 15 December 2016 - 09:35 AM

How about we task the CCG with enforcement and fund them adequately? Wouldn't that just be a crazy idea.

What are you a hippie.

• http likes this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users