Centennial Square

• Please log in to reply
1043 replies to this topic

#21 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 22 October 2006 - 09:37 PM

What I hate is that the tree roots are pushing up the concentric rings of concrete and brick that surround the fountain but instead of repairing it, the City crews just throw a few shovel-fuls of asphalt on top of it. Jeez. :/
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#22 Baro

Baro
  • 4,317 posts

Posted 22 October 2006 - 09:44 PM

The reason we don't use stone much anymore here is that it's very earthquake unsafe. So you either have to use "fake" stone or pay a ridiculous amount for the stonework to be more earthquake safe.

In an earthquake you need materials that can bend and flex. Wood is of course the most simple material in that regard, and steel /reinforced con is the other. There's sadly not a lot of other options in a town like this.

But can we make cement and such look GOOD? yes. Can we have stone pavements and ground floors? No problem!
"beats greezy have baked donut-dough"

#23 Oxford Sutherland

Oxford Sutherland
  • 522 posts

Posted 22 October 2006 - 09:49 PM

The reason we don't use stone much anymore here is that it's very earthquake unsafe. So you either have to use "fake" stone or pay a ridiculous amount for the stonework to be more earthquake safe.

I'd say that only partly explains why stone isn't often used on an entire building.

I'm happy to just see it on the first 2 metres of a building, but we hardly even see that.

#24 Oxford Sutherland

Oxford Sutherland
  • 522 posts

Posted 22 October 2006 - 09:53 PM

The stone we often see today isn't very pretty either, like the stuff they used on The Wave.

Developers try to substitute cheap stone cladding or tiles instead of proper stone, but it just ends up looking....surprise surprise....cheap. :(

#25 m0nkyman

m0nkyman
  • 729 posts

Posted 22 October 2006 - 09:59 PM

back on topic, I actually like the fountain in the middle!

Thus showing yourself as a man of exquisite taste.

#26 pickledbeats

pickledbeats
  • 12 posts

Posted 22 October 2006 - 10:03 PM

I work part time at the CRD building so I am in the square quite often.

I agree it needs a lot of work and is under utilized, but other people do use it (just not enough), some CRD staff do eat lunch there when the weather is nice and some of the events in the summer are great!

I am not sure I agree with a huge stage dominating what should be a central meeting place all on it's own, but since it is a bit sparse, at least it draws people there in the summer.

The farmer's market was great this summer, I hope it grows next year!

The parkade, Antonio's and the buildings connected to it have to go! A public library and revamping the square (with UG parking) is a wonderful idea!

#27 Oxford Sutherland

Oxford Sutherland
  • 522 posts

Posted 23 October 2006 - 09:29 AM

The city could turn Centennial Square into a tourist attraction. They could encourage people to go to the bathroom anywhere they want in the square, then promote the whole thing to tourists as....THE WORLD'S LARGEST PUBLIC WASHROOM!

What do you think?

#28 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 23 October 2006 - 09:35 AM

Sounds great! And you could use the fountain in the middle to wash you hands just like in old school bathrooms, with those round fountains that you turn on with your foot.

#29 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 14 November 2006 - 05:42 PM

Anybody see the new public art piece in front of the CRD building on the public space? It caught my eye as I was driving by, so I didn't get a good look at it.
What I did see was a large silver sphere surrounded by three silver claw-type pieces of metal. Maybe about 4 feet high.

#30 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 14 November 2006 - 11:37 PM

Just for you, mate:

"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."

#31 zingzamzoom

zingzamzoom
  • 26 posts

Posted 15 November 2006 - 12:36 AM

Hmmmm....that's interesting. I'll have to go check it out tomorrow. Is it a fountain too?

#32 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 15 November 2006 - 08:15 AM

Did you take that, Holden? Great pic! Thanks!

Looks kinda neat. And it makes the square much less bare.

#33 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 15 November 2006 - 09:45 AM

Yes, I took it last night. The ball floats in a pool of water so you can spin it around. It's actually a giant globe. It's cooler than I thought it would be.

The nearby fountain is still not operational, unfortunately.

#34 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 15 November 2006 - 09:47 AM

That's really cool. Thanks Holden!

WHAT?? No fountain? Odd that nobody's making a stink about that, but Coun. Madoff and the Vic West Community Association's Diane Carr made stink after stink about the waterfall at Parc Residences operating intermittently for a while.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#35 aastra

aastra
  • 20,742 posts

Posted 15 November 2006 - 09:56 AM

Nice touch with the unfinished concrete. Not enough of that in Victoria.

#36 Ms. B. Havin

Ms. B. Havin
  • 5,052 posts

Posted 15 November 2006 - 09:58 AM

Great photo, Holden!

Derf, the plaza will have 2 water features (2, 2, 2 for the price of 1! ...oh, wait, this isn't an ad...) The floating ball (which is a modern adaptation of a traditional Chinese motif, I think -- someone verify or contradict, if you know), and another fountain thing in the area between the CRD bldg & RMTheatre. I was there last night, but again running late and didn't get to the front of the building to take a look at it...
When you buy a game, you buy the rules. Play happens in the space between the rules.

#37 Ms. B. Havin

Ms. B. Havin
  • 5,052 posts

Posted 15 November 2006 - 09:59 AM

@aastra, good call on the unfinished concrete...!
When you buy a game, you buy the rules. Play happens in the space between the rules.

#38 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 15 November 2006 - 10:07 AM

Two water features? Hopefully it won't take as long to turn on the second as it did the first!

Thanks, Ms B.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#39 Caramia

Caramia
  • 3,835 posts

Posted 15 November 2006 - 12:50 PM

I was looking at this yesterday. There was/is vinyl lettering showing each of our sister cities on the globe. Very cool idea. Too bad that the vinyl has already mostly peeled off. I hope they go back and do something more permanent.
Nowadays most people die of a sort of creeping common sense, and discover when it is too late that the only things one never regrets are one's mistakes.
Oscar Wilde (1854 - 1900), The Picture of Dorian Gray, 1891

#40 zoomer

zoomer
  • 2,144 posts
  • LocationVictoria - Downtown

Posted 15 November 2006 - 09:23 PM

@aastra, good call on the unfinished concrete...!

Yes, until Oxford returns we'll have to assign his duties to others. Aastra can be on the outlook for unfinished concrete.. Ms. B Havin you take blank walls, Derf you're assigned to west coast modernism, I'll take more stone and wood, Scaper gets proper landscaping and G-Man will take the odds and ends. Let's go people, we've got work to do!!

note: the names above we're randomly generated from VV's Random Generator V 1.0, please take no offense if you were not enlisted.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users