Tourism - How Victoria Markets Itself

• Please log in to reply
168 replies to this topic

#41 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,232 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 17 April 2018 - 08:35 PM

I was there a year ago. Definitely did not feel very safe in the downtown area. Checked out Pier 39 and then got out.

#42 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 17 April 2018 - 08:39 PM

I was there 20 years ago and I thought it was fine, even the notorious rough areas like the Tenderloin. But it sounds like a different place today.

I mean, 20 years ago the big controversy in Victoria was bongo players. Not kidding.

San Francisco is a harbinger for Victoria's future. We need to pay attention to what they are and aren't doing about it. 

Edited by Rob Randall, 17 April 2018 - 08:40 PM.

#43 Mattjvd

Mattjvd
  • 1,046 posts

Posted 17 April 2018 - 09:04 PM

I was there 20 years ago and I thought it was fine, even the notorious rough areas like the Tenderloin. But it sounds like a different place today.

I mean, 20 years ago the big controversy in Victoria was bongo players. Not kidding.

San Francisco is a harbinger for Victoria's future. We need to pay attention to what they are and aren't doing about it.

I was there over Easter weekend. There are entire blocks where the sidewalk is nearly shoulder to shoulder pan-handlers. And there are some areas you could spend all day and not see anything.
Some of the rougher blocks are very close to high concentrations of hotels and restaurants.

#44 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,155 posts

Posted 18 April 2018 - 01:01 AM

I was there two years ago and stayed downtown. It was pretty gnarly back then but from what I’ve been hearing its gotten exceptionally worse over the last 24 months. Funny thing is, coming from Victoria I was somewhat dissencitized to what I saw. By day it felt so much like home. We didn’t wander too too much or too far into the night.

In case anyone’s wondering why I’m up at 2AM, a couple arguing on the street woke up the whole neighbourhood. Guy wanted to be left alone but lady friend was not hearing it. In her defense she claimed she “never inhaled.” Ok then.
  • Matt R. likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#45 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,113 posts

Posted 18 April 2018 - 05:51 AM

^ She probably got caught doing something that will cost her that 5 year clean key tag at NA.

Have to start again from scratch.

"Anybody here with 30 days? " 'Anybody here coming back?"

#46 Mattjvd

Mattjvd
  • 1,046 posts

Posted 18 April 2018 - 06:17 AM

I was there two years ago and stayed downtown. It was pretty gnarly back then but from what I’ve been hearing its gotten exceptionally worse over the last 24 months. Funny thing is, coming from Victoria I was somewhat dissencitized to what I saw. By day it felt so much like home. We didn’t wander too too much or too far into the night.

In case anyone’s wondering why I’m up at 2AM, a couple arguing on the street woke up the whole neighbourhood. Guy wanted to be left alone but lady friend was not hearing it. In her defense she claimed she “never inhaled.” Ok then.

Yeah, coming from Victoria, I was some of it was "normal". I don't think SF is much worse than here, just scaled up for population. I also hear San Jose, Berkely, and much of the Bay Area is very clean, they all export their problems to SF.

#47 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 18 April 2018 - 06:23 AM

What's the pizza situation there, could that be a factor?    If they made it mandatory to have a middle person in every pizza slice transaction, could that maybe employ some of the homeless?  Like the gas-pumpers in New Jersey?

Edited by VicHockeyFan, 18 April 2018 - 06:24 AM.

• Nparker likes this
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#48 aastra

aastra
  • 20,649 posts

Posted 18 April 2018 - 08:26 AM

I was somewhat dissencitized...

Is that even legal anymore?

• VicHockeyFan likes this

#49 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,290 posts

Posted 04 September 2018 - 06:55 AM

tourism victoria has changed the name of their facebook page to "destination greater victoria".

#50 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,290 posts

Posted 04 September 2018 - 07:23 AM

this typical of how governments work.

https://www.cbc.ca/n...warns-1.4806554

ok team our people overwhelmingly like this place/event so what we'll do then is limit their access to it or find another way to penalize them monetarily for their interest.

good government would find a way to accommodate the interest.  smart government would also charge for parking at least in peak season.  use the money to finance more parking.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 04 September 2018 - 07:29 AM.

#51 shoeflack

shoeflack
  • 2,861 posts

Posted 04 September 2018 - 08:41 AM

this typical of how governments work.

https://www.cbc.ca/n...warns-1.4806554

ok team our people overwhelmingly like this place/event so what we'll do then is limit their access to it or find another way to penalize them monetarily for their interest.

good government would find a way to accommodate the interest.  smart government would also charge for parking at least in peak season.  use the money to finance more parking.

So is it government's responsibility to ensure more access to a provincial park, or is it government's responsibility to ensure safety on a major highway.

I agree, more dedicated parking is needed, but if you've ever been to Joffre in the summer, you'll know Highway 99 is an absolute gongshow because of the cars on the road. Totally unsafe situation. Glad they are finally cracking down. Now hopefully they'll built a larger parking lot.

A good recap from the weekend...https://bc.ctvnews.c...geNum=1#1478259

#52 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,290 posts

Posted 04 September 2018 - 10:01 AM

it's government's responsibility to give the people better access to what they very clearly want access to in great numbers.  build more parking.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 04 September 2018 - 10:02 AM.

#53 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 14 September 2018 - 10:29 AM

When Tourism Victoria announced they would rebrand as Destination Greater Victoria last week, along with the new name came a new logo and a new slogan.

However, “Oceans apart from ordinary” turned out to very similar to a 1974 Heineken advertising campaign that said the beer was “Oceans apart from the ordinary.”

https://www.saanichn...aps-new-slogan/

#54 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,971 posts

Posted 14 September 2018 - 10:33 AM

So apparently $150K gets you a search of the trademark registry but not a search of google?!

Anyone else think that " a six month process of research and designing a brand" should be a little less than $150K? After all, a name change from Tourism Victoria to Destination Greater Victoria probably didn't require the services of a Vancouver ad agency.

Edited by spanky123, 14 September 2018 - 10:37 AM.

#55 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,290 posts

Posted 14 September 2018 - 10:34 AM

now google "oceans apart from" and "ordinary".  the beer commercial comes up first and second page in multiple instances.  how stupid is the agency that they can not google?

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 14 September 2018 - 10:36 AM.

#56 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,971 posts

Posted 14 September 2018 - 10:38 AM

now google "oceans apart from" and "ordinary".  the beer commercial comes up first and second page in multiple instances.  how stupid is the agency that they can not google?

How stupid are we to be paying them $150K! First thing I would be doing is going back to the ad agency with a cheque for 1/3 of the amount and a release for the balance. The embarrassment and ridicule caused by the stupidity of what should be an organization who specializes in this area is unacceptable.

Mighty big of them to offer to come up with an original logo for free.

Edited by spanky123, 14 September 2018 - 10:42 AM.

#57 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 14 September 2018 - 10:46 AM

BREAKING: New slogan:

Brewed From Rocky Mountain Spring Water

• Matt R. and vortoozo like this

#58 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,390 posts

Posted 14 September 2018 - 11:06 AM

The "greater" part of the name "Destination Greater Victoria" seems cumbersome and unnecessary. Is it meant to appease the rest of the CRD? Would visitors actually stop exploring at the legal borders of the CoV if the name were simply "Destination Victoria"? Are there significant numbers of people outside of about a 150 mile radius who even realize everything from Sooke to Sidney isn't one city?

• aastra and Kungsberg like this

#59 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,971 posts

Posted 14 September 2018 - 11:17 AM

The "greater" part of the name "Destination Greater Victoria" seems cumbersome and unnecessary. Is it meant to appease the rest of the CRD? Would visitors actually stop exploring at the legal borders of the CoV if the name were simply "Destination Victoria"? Are there significant numbers of people outside of about a 150 mile radius who even realize everything from Sooke to Sidney isn't one city?

Saanich might not give them the $24K each year if they don't feel included.

#60 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,390 posts

Posted 14 September 2018 - 11:23 AM

Saanich might not give them the $24K each year if they don't feel included.

And what part of the moniker Destination Greater Victoria tells a yokel from Podunk, USA, there is such a place as Saanich?

• aastra likes this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users