Photo

Tourism - How Victoria Markets Itself

• Please log in to reply
168 replies to this topic

#61 aastra

aastra
  • 20,650 posts

Posted 14 September 2018 - 11:45 AM

You state the issue beautifully. I've raised this point countless times since "Capital Regional District" suddenly became a designation over at TripAdvisor.com. The political interference is obvious and very clumsy and confusing. I suppose political interference always is clumsy and confusing, but I digress...

What they SHOULD be doing is the exact opposite of what they are doing. They SHOULD be emphasizing the fact that all of those "other" destinations are in fact Victoria, one and the same. Thus, you need only one clear and unconfusing/undiluted brand: "Victoria".

In other words, don't confuse the hell out of people by presenting the singular city as if it were some massive multiplicity of destinations. Keep things simple and tell the truth: it's Victoria.

We were in Victoria recently and we loved it.
Oh? Where were you staying?
In Brentwood Bay. It was so relaxing.

etc.

Anyone who has ever been anywhere knows that you don't care one iota about the political/municipal designations in the places you're visiting unless those designations have some practical impact on your visit: a controlled border to cross, an additional fee or tax, etc. If everything is seamless then you don't care. You WANT everything to be seamless. So what is Tourism Victoria doing? They're trying to foster the false impression that things aren't seamless, and that the various parts of Victoria are actually completely different places. Maybe I need to change hotels for the day I plan to go see Hatley Castle? I'm not sure! Maybe I need a Visa for the day I plan to visit Sooke?

Seriously, none of this has any benefit for anyone. It's just incredibly stupid. It makes sense for an actual region (like California's Central Coast, for example) to market itself as a region. But cities should not be marketing themselves as regions. It's a classic example of that flip-flop that Victorians do all day every day. One moment the city is a tiny town that you need a microscope to notice, and the next moment the city is a megalopolis with enormously complex and convoluted issues.

FYI: this summer in particular I've noted many travel reviews in which the travellers finally seem to be getting it, that Oak Bay is actually just one of Victoria's neighbourhoods, and that Oak Bay is actually quite close to downtown. It would be funny if the effort to convince tourists otherwise goes into overdrive right at this same moment.

Edited by aastra, 14 September 2018 - 12:00 PM.

• Nparker, Bingo and Danma like this

#62 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,409 posts

Posted 14 September 2018 - 11:53 AM

You articulated my sentiments better than I ever could aastra. Cheers.  :thumbsup:

#63 aastra

aastra
  • 20,650 posts

Posted 14 September 2018 - 11:58 AM

...don't confuse the hell out of people by presenting the singular city as if it were some massive multiplicity of destinations. Keep things simple and tell the truth: it's Victoria.

I can hear the tourism folks yelling at their computers. But aastra, that's what we're trying to do! It's all one place! Greater Victoria! We're trying to make that clear to people!

Okay, if they're going to abandon that preposterous "Capital Regional District" designation in favour of the "Greater Victoria" destination then I'm on board. It is indeed Greater Victoria that we're talking about.

But my point here is that the modifier is unnecessary from the POV of a tourist. "Victoria" is the brand. Oak Bay = Victoria. Brentwood Bay = Victoria. Sidney = Victoria.

• Bingo likes this

#64 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,976 posts

Posted 14 September 2018 - 12:34 PM

And what part of the moniker Destination Greater Victoria tells a yokel from Podunk, USA, there is such a place as Saanich?

That is not the point. The point is that when it comes for Saanich council to vote on giving $24K away it is easier for them to give it to the GV something then it is the V something.

#65 aastra

aastra
  • 20,650 posts

Posted 14 September 2018 - 12:38 PM

Why is it easier? The result is the same.

• Nparker likes this

#66 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,335 posts

Posted 14 September 2018 - 12:41 PM

" discover saanich - oceans from victoria " 

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 14 September 2018 - 12:41 PM.

#67 aastra

aastra
  • 20,650 posts

Posted 14 September 2018 - 12:43 PM

The problem with that is, you mention Victoria. Ideally you wouldn't mention or show Victoria at all in Victoria's promotional materials.

#68 aastra

aastra
  • 20,650 posts

Posted 14 September 2018 - 12:44 PM

"Saanich - it has nothing to do with Victoria."

#69 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,409 posts

Posted 14 September 2018 - 01:48 PM

...my point here is that the modifier is unnecessary from the POV of a tourist. "Victoria" is the brand. Oak Bay = Victoria. Brentwood Bay = Victoria. Sidney = Victoria.

This.

• Hotel Mike likes this

#70 Jason-L

Jason-L
  • 1,257 posts

Posted 14 September 2018 - 01:50 PM

Is this like the England, Britain, Great Britain, and United Kingdom situation?

Do we have Victoria, Greater Victoria, Capital Regional District ... only one of those including Ireland?

• Rob Randall likes this

#71 aastra

aastra
  • 20,650 posts

Posted 14 September 2018 - 01:56 PM

Victoria's municipal wranglings are much older and much more contentious.

#72 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,409 posts

Posted 14 September 2018 - 01:58 PM

...The point is that when it comes for Saanich council to vote on giving $24K away it is easier for them to give it to the GV something then it is the V something.

Tourism Victoria's revenue for 2017 was $8,149,361. If Saanich figures it can get equal bang for its buck by spending $24,000 on their own marketing, more power to them.

#73 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 14 September 2018 - 02:07 PM

Tourism Victoria was a far better name.  Pay me $10K and save the other $140K.  Over the long run they'll be better off.

• rjag likes this

#74 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 14 September 2018 - 02:18 PM

Is this like the England, Britain, Great Britain, and United Kingdom situation?

Do we have Victoria, Greater Victoria, Capital Regional District ... only one of those including Ireland?

They make phenomenal things, you know, and you have different names — you can say “England”, you can say “UK”, you can say “United Kingdom” so many different — you know you have, you have so many different names — Great Britain. I always say: ‘Which one do you prefer? Great Britain? You understand what I’m saying?’

-President Donald J. Trump

I'd like Trump's views on the CRD.

• Victoria Watcher likes this

#75 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,409 posts

Posted 14 September 2018 - 02:19 PM

Never has so little been said in so many words.

#76 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 14 September 2018 - 08:14 PM

The new slogan is God awful and the new name just as bad.

I often hold back my opinions on some matters and issues just out of respect for the indivoduals involved, etc, but what is Tourism Victoria thinking? How in the world was this rebranding sanctioned? The name is terrible. The slogan a rip-off and the confusion that will ensue by adding “greater” before the city’s name wasn’t considered and rightfully dropped?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#77 Casual Kev

Casual Kev
  • 794 posts

Posted 14 September 2018 - 08:19 PM

Next up: University of Victoria to change name to "University of Saanich" to draw attention to the school's home municipality.

/s

#78 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,409 posts

Posted 14 September 2018 - 08:33 PM

University of Greater Saanich

#79 kxl

kxl
  • 206 posts

Posted 15 September 2018 - 07:26 AM

Reminds me of that time it was proposed: https://www.timescol...enamed-1.937618

;)

#80 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,409 posts

Posted 15 September 2018 - 08:06 AM

From a letter in today's TC

...A new tag line for sweet Victoria: “So Marvellous, Utterly Gorgeous” — in short, and deservedly, SMUG...

:lol:

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users