#21 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,510 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 09 July 2014 - 09:27 PM

Mmm, looks good: http://islandfarms.c...t/lime-sherbet/

Where did you used to get it?

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#22 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 09 July 2014 - 09:36 PM

Mmm, looks good: http://islandfarms.c...t/lime-sherbet/

Where did you used to get it?

Thrifty's and Fairways. Now it comes in a containers mixed with other flavours, but I liked the pure lime flavour.

#23 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 10 July 2014 - 11:31 AM

5 daysago  I pulled out a tub of Breyers Ice cream from my freezer and had a snack late at night.

This morning I found the tub in my fridge and I guess that being sleepy I put it back into the fridge not into the freezer

I opened it up expecting to find it liquid.

It wasnt .

It looked like a sponge with a tiny bit of liquid in the bottom of the tub.

This seemed odd

After reading the ingriedients I now realize that Breyers is not ice cream at all.

It is a mixture of unknown stuff .

There is no reference on the box calling it ice cream it is only called FROZEN DESSERT

Most poeple call it ice cream but it is not ice cream.

After 5 days of not being in a freezer it maintained its shape.

I wont be buying that stuff any longer

Edited by History Buff, 10 July 2014 - 11:32 AM.

#24 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 10 July 2014 - 11:35 AM

Cost-cutting

Prior to 2006,[2] Breyers was known for producing ice cream with a small number of all-natural ingredients. In recent years, as part of cost-cutting measures since their move from Green Bay, Wisconsin to Unilever's U.S. headquarters in Englewood Cliffs, New Jersey,[3] Unilever has reformulated many of its flavors with nontraditional, additive ingredients, significantly changing the taste and texture of their desserts as a direct result of these additions.[2] Following similar practices by several of their competitors, and to the consternation of many former customers,[2] Breyers' list of ingredients has expanded to include natural food additives such as Tara gum[4] and Carob Bean gum,[5] artificial additives such as maltodextrin and propylene glycol,[6] and common artificially separated and extracted ingredients such as corn syrup, whey, and many others.[5][6]

One significant result of these cost-cutting practices has been that the majority of their U.S. products no longer contain enough milk and cream to actually be considered "ice cream", and are now labeled "Frozen Dairy Dessert" instead.[7] Likewise in Canada, where they are labeled "Frozen Dessert".[8][9] Ultimately, only a select few former Breyers all-natural products are still truly "ice cream".

For several decades over 30% of Breyers products, including most of their products sold in the Northeastern U.S., were produced in a large plant outside Boston, in Framingham, Massachusetts. However, as part of further cost-cutting by Unilever, the plant was closed in March 2011.[10]

#25 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,569 posts

Posted 10 July 2014 - 02:39 PM

Eww.

Taco Bell is also doing some pretty gnarly stuff with their offerings.

It looks bad but passable... until you learn that—according to the Alabama law firm suing Taco Bell—only 36% of that is beef. Thirty-six percent. The other 64% is mostly tasteless fibers, various industrial additives and some flavoring and coloring. Everything is processed into a mass that actually looks like beef, and packed into big containers labeled as "taco meat filling." These containers get shipped to Taco Bell's outlets and cooked into something that looks like beef, is called beef and is advertised as beef by the fast food chain. - Source

This lawsuit, btw, was eventually dropped. But not before Taco Bell smartened up and claimed that in fact 88% of their "taco filling" was beef, and the other was "secret ingredients." Right.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#26 Mr_E_Squirrel

Mr_E_Squirrel
  • 589 posts

Posted 11 July 2014 - 12:03 AM

You can apparently find this on Whipped Toppings on drinks. Leave it in your hot car and it is normal hours later...

https://ca.answers.y...10105325AA74peP

#27 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 11 July 2014 - 06:06 AM

I got my hands on a Kitchenaid ice cream maker. Milk, whipping cream, sugar, a little vanilla and in 20 minutes you have a batch of really good ice cream. There seems to be an infinite number of recipes on the web and in books to experiment with. If you go through a lot of ice cream the purchase should pay for itself, never mind eliminating scary ingredients from your diet. Cost-cutting tips include buying your whip cream on sale, say at Costco or Superstore. Or substitute a larger portion of lower-fat coffee creamer and reduce the milk in the recipe.

"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#28 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 11 July 2014 - 06:32 AM

Whipped cream should never be bought in a spray can it is so easy to make from scratch

Buy whipping crean from milk isle
Pour into bowl
Add a few drops of vanilla and a tiny bit of sugar
Whip it by hand with a whisk to incorporate lots of air into it until it thickens

Or use kitchen aid mixer with whisk attachment on high speed

Edited by History Buff, 11 July 2014 - 06:32 AM.

#29 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,510 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 11 July 2014 - 06:58 AM

Yes, but you can get high off the cans ;)

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

#30 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 11 July 2014 - 09:55 AM

My favourite ice cream shop is the Soda Shoppe on Humboldt at Government

#31 Wayne

Wayne
  • 765 posts

Posted 11 July 2014 - 10:08 AM

Homemade ice cream is the best.  Kitchenaid from costco. Super easy to make.  Loving it right now with the temp climbing. 

Prefer it with Baileys.

#32 OSJ

OSJ
  • 311 posts

Posted 11 July 2014 - 10:19 AM

I was thinking today, why doesn't every coffee shop in town serve ice cream in the summer? It can't be too hard to have a little hard ice cream freezer, even somewhat mobile, you could throw it out on the patio maybe. I declare, every coffee shop ought to sell ice cream for the three days it'll be nice this summer.

Cook St. Moka house sells ice cream, not soft serve either.

My GF is the Gm there, they sell a fair amount of it as well.

Paving the way for beer bars on the island!

#33 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 11 July 2014 - 04:38 PM

My old favourite as a kid was a Coke float. Anyone still making those?

#34 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,348 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 11 July 2014 - 04:43 PM

Barqs root beer with vanila ice cream... Mmmm

#35 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 11 July 2014 - 05:30 PM

I wss there tbe other day for ice cream but nothing special about it at all it Island Farms icecream not home made

So maybe it the architecture you like ?

#36 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,510 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 11 July 2014 - 08:42 PM

I went to Wendy's today for a burger, chilli and a Frosty for dessert. 

This is a SMALL Frosty, it's a full bowl of ice-cream.  The small cup is deceptive. 

IMG_20140711_213537_hdr_edit.jpg

#37 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 11 July 2014 - 08:50 PM

What’s in a Wendy’s Frosty?

Wendy’s Frosty requires 14 ingredients to create what traditional shakes achieve with only milk and ice cream. So what accounts for the double-digit ingredient list? Mostly a barrage of thickening agents that includes guar gum, cellulose gum, and carrageenan. And while that’s enough to disqualify it as a milk shake in our book, it’s nothing compared to the chemist’s list of ingredients in the restaurant’s new line of bulked-up Frankenfrosties.

Not bad all that in a tiny cup

#38 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 11 July 2014 - 08:51 PM

When I first looked at your pic I though it was Mashed Potatos

#39 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,510 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 11 July 2014 - 08:54 PM

It's OK.  I piled strawberries and blueberries on top after I took the photo.

#40 Mr_E_Squirrel

Mr_E_Squirrel
  • 589 posts

Posted 12 July 2014 - 12:20 AM

The one that is a hot dog place now? 

http://vibrantvictor...nt-st/?p=110583

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users