#1 victorian fan

victorian fan
  • 1,923 posts

Posted 06 July 2010 - 06:13 PM

:mad:
Vancouver Island health agency seeks a pro to help lay off contractors
globe and mail Justine Hunter

http://www.theglobea...article1627989/

The Vancouver Island Health Authority has slashed mental-health service contracts this year because of budget cuts, but the agency is in the process of hiring for a tricky operation: It wants outside experts who can drop in to lay people off.

[...]

#2 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,502 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 06 July 2010 - 06:25 PM

Up in the Air was quite a good movie. I recommend it.

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#3 Ms. B. Havin

Ms. B. Havin
  • 5,052 posts

Posted 06 July 2010 - 07:56 PM

:mad:
Vancouver Island health agency seeks a pro to help lay off contractors
globe and mail Justine Hunter

http://www.theglobea...article1627989/

[...]

Pretty disgusting. Every manager at VIHA should know how to terminate/ lay off people, and having to spend more money to hire outside consultants to do this is ridiculous.
When you buy a game, you buy the rules. Play happens in the space between the rules.

#4 Ms. B. Havin

Ms. B. Havin
  • 5,052 posts

Posted 06 July 2010 - 07:58 PM

PS: I think I really hate VIHA. One tries not to hate, but ...well, sometimes one fails.
When you buy a game, you buy the rules. Play happens in the space between the rules.

#5 ZGsta

ZGsta
  • 573 posts

Posted 07 July 2010 - 12:49 PM

Yeah, I agree. Every time I hear anything about VIHA it just makes me hate them more.

#6 zoomer

zoomer
  • 2,144 posts
  • LocationVictoria - Downtown

Posted 07 July 2010 - 05:07 PM

Maybe they'll contract a PR firm to improve their image...

#7 victorian fan

victorian fan
  • 1,923 posts

Posted 07 July 2010 - 05:13 PM

Forgive the Viha thread title. Too angry for capital letters.

#8 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,088 posts

Posted 07 July 2010 - 11:07 PM

^ In all fairness, there are a lot of well meaning people that are employed by VIHA, including management staff. We should be careful not to paint everyone with the same brush.

This is a Government funded organization.

The bottleneck is always at the top of the bottle.

#9 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 07 July 2010 - 11:22 PM

Yes, I've been to a few meetings with VIHA people in relation to downtown social issues and I'm impressed with what they are able to do with the meagre resources they are given. They never know if the detox program they've been carefully crafting will be arbitrarily cut out of the budget.

Remember, VIHA is only one of five regional health authorities. And there are a hell of a lot of people (voters) in rural BC that are saying that BC's big cities (like us) are getting a disproportionate share of the health services. We have to fight for every penny we deserve.

#10 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 82,943 posts

Posted 30 May 2011 - 09:58 AM

VV has been informed that kitchen/food services staff at the General Hospital, employed by a private firm that could lose its contract, have received layoff notices. The contractor, Compass Group, which operates Crothall Canada (cleaning) and Morrison (food services), is also expected to lose the General Hospital housekeeping/cleaning contract. Housekeeping workers have been advised that layoff notices will be served within several weeks.

VIHA disbanded its housekeeping and food services workforce of unionized workers about a decade ago and hired private firms to take on those duties.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#11 Barra

Barra
  • 592 posts

Posted 30 May 2011 - 10:53 AM

VV has been informed that kitchen/food services staff at the General Hospital, employed by a private firm that could lose its contract, have received layoff notices. The contractor, Compass Group, which operates Crothall Canada (cleaning) and Morrison (food services), is also expected to lose the General Hospital housekeeping/cleaning contract. Housekeeping workers have been advised that layoff notices will be served within several weeks.

VIHA disbanded its housekeeping and food services workforce of unionized workers about a decade ago and hired private firms to take on those duties.

Good employees should be able to get a job with the new contractor. I worked for Compass Group in an institutional kitchen - the pay was so bad that the only staff they could get were the absolute dregs - coming in drunk etc and not following basic sanitation rules. I'm glad that they're no longer going to be used by VIHA.
Pieta VanDyke

#12 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,088 posts

Posted 30 May 2011 - 11:37 AM

Methinks a bait and switch is in the works.

http://www.google.ca...eAqTRiAKb3qihBg

#13 kenjh

kenjh
  • 310 posts

Posted 06 June 2011 - 08:26 PM

just wondering ..how or why does VI HA ..continue to operate ??? they have shown disinterest in the employees ,driven the best away ,how do we fire VIHA?? they seem to be incompetent..or worse yet answer to no one,,kinda like the ferry system...

#14 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,088 posts

Posted 06 June 2011 - 08:33 PM

you can't

#15 kenjh

kenjh
  • 310 posts

Posted 06 June 2011 - 08:38 PM

why ...are they not government ..of some sort?? are they not accountable ?? to anyone?? and why do we have 5 different viha's..why the duplication?? I do not understand why Viha cannot be held to the fire as it were...

#16 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,088 posts

Posted 06 June 2011 - 09:26 PM

^ all I'm saying is give it your best shot. knock yourself out. You have as much chance of getting rid of VIHA as you have of finding a replacement. We would need to operate hospitals with a visa card like the states do.

That would be like eliminating BC Ferries....would you rather swim?

My favorite is ICBC...brought in by Dave Barrett's NDP.....then election promises that ICBC will revert back to private insurance companies..should the right wing party prevail....

ICBC ....still mandatory after all these years.

It's the options that are hard to come up with.

#17 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,502 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 06 June 2011 - 09:37 PM

Sorry, I can't let this one slip :P We're better off with ICBC as they are. Competition in the insurance business doesn't bring good things.

There's a fairly new ICBC thread around here somewhere :)

As for VIHA and our health care system.. don't get me started.

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#18 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,088 posts

Posted 06 June 2011 - 09:48 PM

^ Exactly Seb

How are you going to change any of that?

What are you going to revert to tomorrow?....next week....next year?

Not going to happen.

There are lots of processes that "some" of us would like to change. In order to do that you either need to run for Mayor, Premier, or Prime Minister.

Councillors, MLA's, or MP's...can't change squat.

Voters, (read taxpayers) can forget even thinking about change unless they are willing to take on the entire responsibility of the project, including providing the alternatives.

#19 kenjh

kenjh
  • 310 posts

Posted 07 June 2011 - 04:21 AM

I understand about alternatives.. how do we get them doing what we need tehm to do we are losing doctors and nurses, they got rid of hard working cleaners and people died because of their mistakes ,,and they are still here..you would run me off the sidewalk for rideing my bicycle there or yell about grammer and puncuation.. but VIHA is destroying lives ..and we throw up our hands and ..we can't change it..give up crawl back under my rock???

#20 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 07 June 2011 - 04:56 AM

I understand about alternatives.. how do we get them doing what we need tehm to do we are losing doctors and nurses, they got rid of hard working cleaners and people died because of their mistakes ,,and they are still here..you would run me off the sidewalk for rideing my bicycle there or yell about grammer and puncuation.. but VIHA is destroying lives ..and we throw up our hands and ..we can't change it..give up crawl back under my rock???

What we could do is allow citizens choice in healthcare. Like in the US. Then if we desire no contact with VIHA, we would be allowed to access an alternate service, at our own expense.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users