Vancouver Island Health Authority (VIHA) news and issues

• Please log in to reply
1934 replies to this topic

#121 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,014 posts

Posted 30 November 2020 - 12:24 PM

Racism review finds 'widespread, insidious problem' in B.C. health care system

The months-long review into Indigenous-specific discrimination found evidence of rampant prejudice and racism, as well as a lack of cultural safety, within the province's health care system. Allegations earlier this year that a racist guessing game played by emergency room doctors and nurses called "Price is Right" prompted the review, however no solid evidence of such a game was found.

So the original complaint was made up and led to the Province spending hundreds of thousands of dollars on an investigation. This new 'evidence' of racism is entirely from surveys of FN and provides no examples or definition of what actually occurred yet we are to believe it this time.

Edited by spanky123, 30 November 2020 - 12:24 PM.

• Nparker and SimonH like this

#122 JohnN

JohnN
  • 2,172 posts

Posted 30 November 2020 - 03:25 PM

Differing from most media, note how Victoria News frames the narrative through their headline for this news story: 
No evidence that B.C. ER staff played blood alcohol level game, but Indigenous racism ‘widespread’: https://www.vicnews....ism-widespread/

Most media also do not include a link to the actual 236-page report: https://engage.gov.b...Full-Report.pdf

:)

#123 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,014 posts

Posted 30 November 2020 - 03:32 PM

Here is what TL said. 

While there was no evidence found to confirm such a game was being played in B.C. hospital emergency departments, Turpel-Lafond said in a news conference Monday (Nov. 30) that she did find clear evidence of a lack of cultural safety and hundreds of examples of prejudice and racism throughout the entire B.C. health care system.

What the heck is cultural safety? 

#124 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 53,083 posts

Posted 30 November 2020 - 03:42 PM

Differing from most media, note how Victoria News frames the narrative through their headline for this news story: 
No evidence that B.C. ER staff played blood alcohol level game, but Indigenous racism ‘widespread’: https://www.vicnews....ism-widespread/

Most media also do not include a link to the actual 236-page report: https://engage.gov.b...Full-Report.pdf

vic news also has this though:

Peninsula hospital one where ‘significant work underway’

Investigation finds ‘widespread systemic racism against Indigenous people’ in provincial health care

https://www.vicnews....al-health-care/

#125 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,014 posts

Posted 30 November 2020 - 03:54 PM

The sum total of TL's determination of systemic racism in health care is the result of a survey conducted with FN participants. If you read the report is states examples like someone arriving at emergency and being asked if they had anything to drink or taken any drugs. In the opinion of the author and the respondent that amounts to racism. What is it called when I am asked the same question when I go to emerg?

• Nparker likes this

#126 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,781 posts

Posted 30 November 2020 - 03:56 PM

...What is it called when I am asked the same question when I go to emerg?

Settlerism?

#127 JohnN

JohnN
  • 2,172 posts

Posted 30 November 2020 - 04:03 PM

vic news also has this though:

Peninsula hospital one where ‘significant work underway’

Investigation finds ‘widespread systemic racism against Indigenous people’ in provincial health care

https://www.vicnews....al-health-care/

Interesting that Wolf Depner writes a variety of stories but not on First Nations issues: https://www.vicnews....olfgang-depner/

Whereas Rebecca Dyok seems to focus on FN stories: https://www.vicnews....r/rebecca-dyok/

#128 UDeMan

UDeMan
  • 747 posts

Posted 30 November 2020 - 04:23 PM

Last time I went to emergency over 10 years ago they asked me those same questions, had I taken any drugs or alcohol. it helps them diagnose your condition and also not give you any medication that may conflict.
  • Nparker and Victoria Watcher like this

#129 Midnightly

Midnightly
  • 1,346 posts

Posted 01 December 2020 - 03:30 AM

last time i was in the hospital they asked me this question (if i had taken any drugs or alcohol, do i take any drugs or alcohol..), fairly sure i was asked more then once, i was also asked if i was on any sort of medication.. it's pretty standard questions they need to know because they do not want to give you anything that could interact with anything that could currently be in your system

#130 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,083 posts

Posted 01 December 2020 - 03:45 AM

and if you show symptoms typical of drug or alcohol impairment they indeed will ask you msm many times.

#131 A Girl is No one

A Girl is No one
  • 2,495 posts

Posted 01 December 2020 - 05:02 AM

Here is what TL said.

While there was no evidence found to confirm such a game was being played in B.C. hospital emergency departments, Turpel-Lafond said in a news conference Monday (Nov. 30) that she did find clear evidence of a lack of cultural safety and hundreds of examples of prejudice and racism throughout the entire B.C. health care system.

What the heck is cultural safety?

Solution looking for a problem

#132 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,014 posts

Posted 01 December 2020 - 07:18 AM

and if you show symptoms typical of drug or alcohol impairment they indeed will ask you msm many times.

The point being that these are standard questions everyone gets asked, FN or not. 

• Victoria Watcher likes this

#133 A Girl is No one

A Girl is No one
  • 2,495 posts

Posted 01 December 2020 - 07:33 AM

And once again political correctness will hurt those it claims to want to help, by hindering proper care to some FN people because we are not allowed to even consider they may have consumed drugs or alcohol.
  • Nparker and spanky123 like this

#134 laconic

laconic
  • 741 posts

Posted 01 December 2020 - 08:58 AM

Online registration opened to accept more patients at the nurse practitioner clinic on Yates at 8 AM this morning. This is just to fill out a form to be contacted later. The website has been dead ever since with 503 server busy errors.

#135 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,014 posts

Posted 01 December 2020 - 09:07 AM

Online registration opened to accept more patients at the nurse practitioner clinic on Yates at 8 AM this morning. This is just to fill out a form to be contacted later. The website has been dead ever since with 503 server busy errors.

Sham. Anyone actually get one of these "openings"? 

#136 JohnN

JohnN
  • 2,172 posts

Posted 01 December 2020 - 09:15 AM

Solution looking for a problem

Definition of "cultural safety" in the report is when care is safe... but there is more: 
Reference:
A  culturally safe environment is the desired outcome and can only be defined by the Indigenous person receiving care in a manner that is safe and does not profile or discriminate against the person but is experienced as respectful, safe and allows meaningful communication and service.
It is a physically, socially, emotionally and spiritually safe environment, without challenge, ignorance or denial of an individual’s identity. To be culturally safe requires positive anti-racism stances, tools and approaches and the continuous practice of cultural humility. (page 8)

#137 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,014 posts

Posted 01 December 2020 - 09:49 AM

^ So in other words a completely subjective measure that will never be fully achieved.

#138 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,083 posts

Posted 01 December 2020 - 09:53 AM

and I want to see the penis doctor without being asked to take my pants off too.

it’s not going to happen that way if i want “meaningful” service.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 01 December 2020 - 09:54 AM.

#139 JohnN

JohnN
  • 2,172 posts

Posted 01 December 2020 - 10:10 AM

I think that Turpel-Lafond is laying the groundwork for continuing inquiries in several other fields, including education, justice system, welfare, etc and for other, non-Indigenous "racialized" groups (page 6 image of that section attached)

Attached Images

• Screenshot 2020-12-01 at 10.06.46.png

#140 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,014 posts

Posted 01 December 2020 - 10:37 AM

^ That is what troubles me the most.

We have what turned out to be a fabricated story of racism in health care which then leads to an investigation which was pre-judged even before it started (TL made numerous public statement that racism was entrenched in the healthcare system before she even started her investigation) which she is now trying to stretch to every other aspect of society as well.

If there are acts of racism occurring then lets stamp them out. This open ended, accuse everyone approach isn't building any bridges and will just make matters worse for those impacted due to resentment and mistrust.

Edited by spanky123, 01 December 2020 - 10:40 AM.

• Victoria Watcher likes this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users