Photo

Vancouver Island Health Authority (VIHA) news and issues

• Please log in to reply
1934 replies to this topic

#141 JohnN

JohnN
  • 2,172 posts

Posted 01 December 2020 - 02:31 PM

Here are the In Plain Sight report recommendations - each having some detail in the report.

If these are implemented, there will likely be major changes in the education and careers of health workers and of course, changes for Indigenous and non-Indigenous patients. 

The Board chairs and CEOs of all of BC's health regions have just produced a "media statement" in total support of the report and for implementing all of the recommendations. 

Attached Images

• Untitled drawing (5).jpg
  • Untitled drawing (6).jpg
  • Untitled drawing (7).jpg
  • Untitled drawing (8).jpg
  • Untitled drawing (9).jpg
  • Untitled drawing (10).jpg
  • Untitled drawing (11).jpg
  • Untitled drawing (12).jpg
  • Untitled drawing (13).jpg
  • Untitled drawing (14).jpg

:)

#142 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,015 posts

Posted 01 December 2020 - 02:57 PM

Here are the In Plain Sight report recommendations - each having some detail in the report.

If these are implemented, there will likely be major changes in the education and careers of health workers and of course, changes for Indigenous and non-Indigenous patients. 

The Board chairs and CEOs of all of BC's health regions have just produced a "media statement" in total support of the report and for implementing all of the recommendations. 

What is also unfortunate is that TL only chose to look at FN racism and ignored every other culture and race in her analysis. Not one of her recommendations considers anyone else.

• Victoria Watcher likes this

#143 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,784 posts

Posted 01 December 2020 - 02:59 PM

No other group has ever or does ever experience racism.

• Victoria Watcher likes this

#144 JohnN

JohnN
  • 2,172 posts

Posted 01 December 2020 - 03:39 PM

The report mentions "indigenous-specific" 377 times and the Terms of Reference in the Appendix dwell on "indigenous-specific" for the report mandate. So there is lots of scope (and likely now an expectation) that the provincial government will move on non-indigenous racism issues in health sector. 

Turpel-Lafond makes statement about the out-of-scope issues of racism against non-indigenous  and about health-related services needed for indigenous students in education  (image from page 6).

Attached Images

• Screenshot 2020-12-01 at 15.27.26.png

Edited by JohnN, 01 December 2020 - 03:40 PM.

#145 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,015 posts

Posted 01 December 2020 - 04:27 PM

^ This is the same issue I had with her when she was the Children's and Youth Rep. The only issues she seemed to care about (IMHO) were those involving FN kids. Everyone else got ignored in my opinion.

#146 JohnN

JohnN
  • 2,172 posts

Posted 01 December 2020 - 05:27 PM

^ This is the same issue I had with her when she was the Children's and Youth Rep. The only issues she seemed to care about (IMHO) were those involving FN kids. Everyone else got ignored in my opinion.

Interesting - maybe she negotiated her Terms of Reference with Horgan and could be that it was at her insistence that the report mandate be crystal clear that the target would be totally "indigenous-specific"?

#147 JohnN

JohnN
  • 2,172 posts

Posted 01 December 2020 - 05:33 PM

Related news stories: 

Head of Island Health says Saanich Peninsula Hospital not part of racist guessing game

And the BC Human Rights Commissioner appears to be focusing on Covid prompting anti-Asian incidents:

'Am I racist?': Billboard poses question as rise in hate crimes prompts public awareness campaign

#148 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,015 posts

Posted 01 December 2020 - 06:51 PM

Related news stories: 

Head of Island Health says Saanich Peninsula Hospital not part of racist guessing game

And the BC Human Rights Commissioner appears to be focusing on Covid prompting anti-Asian incidents:

'Am I racist?': Billboard poses question as rise in hate crimes prompts public awareness campaign

Surprise surprise. The Government tells everyone that Asians are driving up property prices and then wonders why there is racism.

#149 LJ

LJ
  • 12,747 posts

Posted 01 December 2020 - 08:41 PM

If the natives don't like the health care they are getting they are certainly free to start their own health care clinics on reserves and then they can get the very best in culturally appropriate care.

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#150 JohnN

JohnN
  • 2,172 posts

Posted 02 December 2020 - 09:14 AM

Interesting that among Turpel-Lafond's 24 recommendations, nowhere was a recommendation for an anonymous reporting line (aka whistle-blower or "snitch-line") for Indigenous-specific people to report racist encounters in the health system.

However, on the same day (Nov 30) as the report's release, a well-prepared snitch-line press release was also published by BC Association of Aboriginal Friendship Centres (image below): https://www.facebook...17068738366082/

Given all the website preparation, the reporting line tool has obviously been planned for quite awhile. 

A reporting line for all non-Indigenous patients and people seems like a good idea  for any hospital and health care quality issue.

Island Health has its own performance measures that currently does include "Cultural Safety": https://www.islandhe...rmance-measures

CBC did a story Rate Your Hospital in 2013: https://www.cbc.ca/n...dians-1.1336081

Workers' rating: 

https://ca.indeed.co...thority/reviews

Attached Images

• snitch line initiative.png

Edited by JohnN, 02 December 2020 - 09:14 AM.

#151 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 53,083 posts

Posted 02 December 2020 - 09:21 AM

is there a snitch line we can call to report wasted resources in the indigenous support community?

#152 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,015 posts

Posted 02 December 2020 - 09:48 AM

Any bets that BC Friendship Centres are receiving a tidy little sum for operating this service?

#153 JohnN

JohnN
  • 2,172 posts

Posted 03 December 2020 - 06:02 PM

Sham. Anyone actually get one of these "openings"? 

Related news story:

Desperate for care, patients crash clinic's website

Health Care on Yates, a primary care clinic led by nurse practitioners, set aside Tuesday to accept applications from new patients, but its website crashed almost immediately due to heavy traffic.

#154 Midnightly

Midnightly
  • 1,346 posts

Posted 03 December 2020 - 07:28 PM

Related news story:

Desperate for care, patients crash clinic's website

Health Care on Yates, a primary care clinic led by nurse practitioners, set aside Tuesday to accept applications from new patients, but its website crashed almost immediately due to heavy traffic.

it also crashed last time it was open (2 months ago.. they got soo many people registering so quickly they didn't take applications last month)

this is the state of healthcare in BC and it's not ok

#155 On the Level

On the Level
  • 2,891 posts

Posted 03 December 2020 - 08:05 PM

Everyone pays taxes in other provinces during their working lives, then moves here to retire.  BC foots the bill so I am not sure what the solution is (yes with $$ transfers but that doesn't cover it all).

There is a lot of talk up here in BC about bringing in private care.  I've mentioned here before how much my health care in the US costs, getting cut off, etc so I am not sure you would be better off with a different model.

Here is a conversation I noted last week in a blog about Motorcycle gear.   Note that you might not qualify for health insurance, and if you do a deductible of $5K is pretty good and not cheap.  Mine was 10% and cost me $1,200 a month for the coverage + any deductible.  

"And at $700, it’s relatively affordable. "

I think your idea of affordable and my idea of affordable are somewhat different.

Perhaps you should not consider the price as a bike or gear, but against the price of your medical deductible and co-pay for hospitalization.

Let me illustrate.
I crashed, it wasn't fast but it was hard, and ruptured my spleen (level 4) about 10 years ago. Just my spleen, no other real injuries beside bruising. I was ATGATT.
The final cost was $5000.00 out of pocket for me. But the total bill was $142,000.00
Yes, that much.
How does that $700 look now?

Medical deductible? I'm in Canada, so that's not a relevant argument for me.....

Edited by On the Level, 03 December 2020 - 08:05 PM.

#156 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,083 posts

Posted 04 December 2020 - 12:18 AM

Maple has simple pricing:

https://www.getmaple...ASACEgJDtvD_BwE

$360/yr. for 30 visits.

it seems to me the only reason our healthcare system is busy is because it’s “free”.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 04 December 2020 - 12:21 AM.

• A Girl is No one likes this

#157 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,015 posts

Posted 04 December 2020 - 11:36 AM

Maple has simple pricing:

https://www.getmaple...ASACEgJDtvD_BwE

$360/yr. for 30 visits.

it seems to me the only reason our healthcare system is busy is because it’s “free”.

This is tele-health is it not? Babylon is free, why pay for Maple?

#158 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,015 posts

Posted 04 December 2020 - 11:41 AM

it also crashed last time it was open (2 months ago.. they got soo many people registering so quickly they didn't take applications last month)

I don't know about the Yates St clinic but I know for sure that Chatterton Way and James Bay were not new clinics. Private clinics were shut down and replaced with public ones. The primary reason was to save money.

Private clinics operate on a fee for service model, that is to say that the doctor gets paid for every patient they see up to certain caps. These new clinics operate on a fixed fee model where LPNs get paid a salary. I have no argument over the care received, but what is happening is that clinic hours are now shorter and fewer patients get seen. These models are not helping to find primary care providers for more people, they are making it worse. 

In my opinion the model is to force private clinics to shut down and shift to a tele-health, emergency care model instead. 

Edited by spanky123, 04 December 2020 - 11:44 AM.

• Nparker likes this

#159 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,083 posts

Posted 04 December 2020 - 11:43 AM

This is tele-health is it not? Babylon is free, why pay for Maple?

it has a cooler name.

#160 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,784 posts

Posted 04 December 2020 - 11:45 AM

it has a cooler name.

Just don't get stuck on the name.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users