Photo

Vancouver Island Health Authority (VIHA) news and issues

• Please log in to reply
1879 replies to this topic

#181 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 05 April 2021 - 05:42 AM

labour unions will always advocate for better working conditions (less work) for their members.

I feel about as safe going into a Canadian hospital as any homeless shelter I will say that. How about this one: https://youtu.be/qhie9Bc3EvM

Edited by todd, 05 April 2021 - 05:42 AM.

#182 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 26 July 2021 - 08:30 PM

Had laproscopic surgery today at VGH. No complaints--everyone was very efficient and professional.

It was to repair a hernia--a small tear in the abdominal wall caused by the strain of reading Victoria Watcher posts.
  • sebberry, LocalMom, grantpalin and 2 others like this

#183 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,173 posts

Posted 26 July 2021 - 08:49 PM

Glad to hear you’re doing well, Rob.

We’ve put a disclaimer on the registration page now advising of the risks.
  • Rob Randall, Brayvehart and Barrrister like this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#184 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,976 posts

Posted 09 August 2021 - 09:27 AM

Went to book an appointment with Babylon to get a simple prescription renewed and it now takes a week to get an appointment.

That didn't last long. What started off as a fast and efficient way of bypassing the clinic is now slower and more onerous.

#185 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,402 posts

Posted 09 August 2021 - 10:04 AM

I recently called my doctor's office and got a phone appointment later that same day.

#186 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,976 posts

Posted 09 August 2021 - 10:08 AM

I recently called my doctor's office and got a phone appointment later that same day.

I checked medical and by 9:30 every clinic was full for the day. It is still a better option if you can book first thing.

My point was that tells-health was supposed to improve service and justify shutting down clinics to replace them with upccs. After a year release-health appears to offer the lowest level of service.

#187 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,327 posts

Posted 09 August 2021 - 10:13 AM

I just use YouTube for health. It seems more accurate than my doctor.

#188 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,402 posts

Posted 09 August 2021 - 10:14 AM

I am surprised TELUS Health (aka Babylon) has worked even this well.

...The rollout of Babylon by Telus in Alberta, Canada in March 2020 amidst the COVID-19 pandemic triggered massive backlash from the medical community and users alike. One Albertan doctor pointed out that by using Babylon, users are agreeing that their personal data can be transferred outside of Canada and "may be accessible by foreign government agencies", quoting directly from Babylon's Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy. The Alberta Medical Association also stated in March that they were not consulted prior to the Babylon's app launch in Alberta.

In April 2020, Alberta's privacy commissioner launched two investigations into Babylon, by Telus Health, over non-compliance and medical privacy concerns. The commissioner encouraged doctors and patients to extend their absence while investigation was on-going. A data breach was reported in June 2020, which Babylon admitted to. In addition, Babylon Health's app security score was 10/100, putting it in the “critical risk” category...

https://en.wikipedia...y_Telus_Alberta

#189 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,976 posts

Posted 09 August 2021 - 10:40 AM

Could be but the pharmacy won't accept their scripts!

Solved my own problem. Paid $49 to Maple and had my prescription within 10 minutes.

I guess we know why it now takes a week to get an appointment with Babylon, all of the docs have moved to Maple!

#190 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 09 August 2021 - 10:48 AM

https://en.wikipedia...ne#Self-surgery

• Victoria Watcher likes this

#191 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,327 posts

Posted 16 September 2021 - 02:23 AM

https://twitter.com/TristinHopper

#192 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,173 posts

Posted 16 September 2021 - 06:04 AM

And what’s staggering, too, is seniors with more complex care needs are not getting adequate supports from the system by not having a doctor. The clinic rigmarole is especially hard on them.

So while we have people advocating now for barring unvaccinated people from accessing healthcare, we might as well take this opportunity to start allowing private healthcare in this country, since it sounds like that’s what some Canadians (well, we’re quietly supposed to be “all” thinking that) want if you have COVID but aren’t vaccinated.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#193 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 16 September 2021 - 06:31 AM

The problem seems to be when people actually go to use the services they’re surprised. But not before

Tons of reasons to be “upset” with BH and “Dix”

Edited by todd, 16 September 2021 - 06:53 AM.

• A Girl is No one likes this

#194 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,976 posts

Posted 16 September 2021 - 10:45 AM

The problem seems to be when people actually go to use the services they’re surprised. But not before

Tons of reasons to be “upset” with BH and “Dix”

Dr. B.H, Dix and every politician have family doctors so no reason for them to care about you. In BC we are forcing private clinics to close so that they can be replaced with 'urgent care centres' that have fewer resources, shorter hours and patient intakes that seem to favour contacts and relationships over priority.

#195 LJ

LJ
  • 12,701 posts

Posted 16 September 2021 - 07:54 PM

I think we also have to stop paying doctors the same amount for an in person visit and a phone consult.

Prior to Covid they got paid quite a bit less for phone consults.

• sebberry likes this
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#196 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 7,867 posts

Posted 16 September 2021 - 08:33 PM

I think we also have to stop paying doctors the same amount for an in person visit and a phone consult.

The province already told them that. Back to in person appointments, or else.

Matt.

#197 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,976 posts

Posted 17 September 2021 - 08:16 AM

What you are finding is that docs work the system until they hit their caps and then use tele-health with pay-for-use providers like Maple to top up their incomes.

Edited by spanky123, 17 September 2021 - 08:17 AM.

#198 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 17 September 2021 - 02:23 PM

“Nurses and supporters rally for safer workplaces and higher staff levels“: https://www.timescol...vels-1.24358660
  • todd likes this

#199 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,327 posts

Posted 19 September 2021 - 12:20 AM

It was about 1 a.m. on Aug. 28, and the 74-year-old’s heart was racing at 140 beats a minute. She said she was put on hold by a 911 operator for over five minutes before the call taker asked if she wanted police, fire or ambulance. Her call was transferred to B.C. Emergency Health Services, where Bell was on hold another five minutes.

https://www.timescol...-911-1.24358832

#200 LJ

LJ
  • 12,701 posts

Posted 19 September 2021 - 07:44 PM

^My heart gets up to that speed climbing a flight of stairs.

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users