screenshot-twitter.com-2024.04.12-16_16_14.png

#1902 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 55,553 posts

Posted 13 April 2024 - 03:05 AM

BC United leader says solution to illicit drugs in hospitals is 'just say no'

Kevin Falcon says he would ban open drug use in hospitals

Falcon said nurses have too much to do already without “potentially violent, unstable patients, high on who knows what kind of drugs” threatening their safety.

B.C. Health Minister Adrian Dix, in Vancouver on Friday, called Falcon’s five-minute ­solution “disrespectful to the most vulnerable people we work with and to the health ­professionals who’ve devoted their lives to helping them.”

Dix said all manner of people seek treatment in hospital and that presents real challenges.

“It’s not like Rogers Arena, if some fan is disorderly, you send them home,” said Dix. “This is a hospital, and our health care staff is absolutely committed to their patients, all of their patients.”

The health minister said he doesn’t believe “the solution to this is putting critically ill ­people on the street” and while Falcon may suggest that for political points, Dix said he doesn’t believe that’s what the people of B.C. or nurses or doctors or heath-care workers want.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 13 April 2024 - 03:06 AM.

#1903 max.bravo

max.bravo
  • 2,323 posts

Posted 13 April 2024 - 03:51 AM

The problem is now that we’re using same words with different definitions.

Dix says “health care” but he means “harm reduction” ie, giving free, hard drugs to addicts.

Falcon says “health care” but he means actually caring for people’s health, ie. getting addicts off drugs, or at least protecting everyone else in the hospital from addicts.

For goodness sake, I have to take my 1 year old baby to VGH for a sedated EEG later this month. Will I have to dodge junkies on my way in / throughout the hospital? Tell me how that increases “health care” for my baby girl who isn’t a drug addict.
  • lanforod and Victoria Watcher like this

#1904 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 55,553 posts

Posted 13 April 2024 - 03:59 AM

Tell me how that increases “health care” for my baby girl who isn’t a drug addict.

It lets her get an early look, first-hand at the normalization of illicit drug use.

Lessens the shocks for later in life.

#1905 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 55,553 posts

Posted 18 April 2024 - 04:28 AM

Increased potential for violence in hospitals

I’m writing to add my name to the list of outraged and dumbfounded B.C. citizens regarding the sanctioning of patients and their visitors to bring in and use street drugs in the hospital setting and to carry weapons on their person.

This is wrong on so many levels. Illicit drugs consist of unknown and deadly substances. How can the medical staff properly treat patients when such unknowns are taken along with prescribed medications, and which are contraindicated to the betterment of good health and treatment?

Why should other patients and visitors have to deal with adverse drug reactions from people using street drugs or have to defend themselves in the likely event of increased violence?

Why does the safety and welfare of the majority — the larger numbers of patients, staff and other visitors who find themselves in a hospital — not trump the so-called concern for the feelings of the few?

As for weapons, who needs a weapon in a hospital setting? This allows for increased potential for violence, which staff do not need.

Having to hire further security staff is akin to trying to close the barn door after the animals have escaped.

The NDP’s decision to allow such moral decay to enter our hospitals is appalling.

I truly hope that sober consideration for a reversal of this inane “approach to health care” be taken.

Jan James, retired nurse

Comox

https://www.timescol...spitals-8617521

• Nparker likes this

#1906 aastra

aastra
  • 21,248 posts

Posted 18 April 2024 - 09:47 AM

I truly hope that sober consideration for a reversal of this inane “approach to health care” be taken.

Inane approaches to health care have been a thing now for quite a while.

#1907 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,065 posts

Posted 18 April 2024 - 11:15 AM

^^ What happens is the weapon is a 'therapy weapon'? Can't take that away from anyone.

Having said that, I have it on good authority that VicPD has started keeping the knives of people accused of stabbings before they are released. This new policy will hopefully reduce stabbing violence on our streets!

#1908 Nparker

Nparker
  • 42,023 posts

Posted 18 April 2024 - 11:16 AM

Fact of the day: the feds are spending more money on debt-servicing interest charges than they are on health transfers to the provinces.  :angry:

#1909 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 85,012 posts

Posted 18 April 2024 - 01:12 PM

Indeed they are.

As they take on more debt.
  • Nparker and Daveyboy like this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#1910 max.bravo

max.bravo
  • 2,323 posts

Posted 18 April 2024 - 03:04 PM

MAID will be the new health care. Dying is the highest quality of life dontyaknow

#1911 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 55,553 posts

Posted 19 April 2024 - 02:23 AM

Illicit drugs in hospitals puts us at a breaking point

I am honestly starting to believe the theories that adversaries who wish to facilitate the downfall of North America are doing so by influencing the crumbling of society from within.

There are so many times I want to write in about one mind-boggling policy or another but don’t. However, hearing about the permissibility of drug addicts and their visitors to bring drugs and weapons into the hospital environment is the last straw.

How dare our policymakers put the general public at risk? Offering compassion and understanding for those who are addicted should not trump public safety and comfort, particularly when they are at their most vulnerable when requiring hospital care, nor should those who have dedicated their lives to help by working in the health profession be exposed to such risks.

And what about those with respiratory ailments? Do you have any idea how harmful any type of smoke is to their well-being?

I am so disappointed with what has become of Victoria as it devolves into a drug-addled gong show. If you enable, you perpetuate the problem, as has been evident with the rise in blatant drug use and associated crime.

I can’t take my children into town without seeing at least one person shooting up or in the throes of a high, but now I need to be concerned that this exposure could come while dealing with a medical emergency or ailment?

We are at a breaking point. Common sense clearly shows that we need to stop this madness before it reaches the point of no return. Do something!

Leanne Bates

Victoria

https://www.timescol...-doctor-8623580

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 19 April 2024 - 02:23 AM.

• Nparker likes this

#1912 Daveyboy

Daveyboy
  • 570 posts

Posted 19 April 2024 - 06:28 AM

The only good thing about the NDP's latest policy on drug use in hospitals is that the general public finally sees what a ridiculous government they really are.  Totally activist and totally out of touch with reality.  This will probably be the breaking point of their continued governance of the province as people have had enough.  It is blatant enough that ordinary people who maybe don't regularly vote will get out there next election.

• Nparker likes this

#1913 Nparker

Nparker
  • 42,023 posts

Posted 19 April 2024 - 07:36 AM

I hope you are right Daveyboy. 🤞

#1914 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 85,012 posts

Posted 19 April 2024 - 07:45 AM

Yesterday I heard a clip on the radio, where union leaders are calling Poilievre a con artist who has never walked a picket line, so union labour should not vote for him. I didn’t realize not walking a picket line makes you indifferent to worker challenges, but that’s the talking point.

So I assume, based on what I’m hearing and seeing, that a nation and province can be imploding due to political decisions made by politicians unions align with, and they’ll still tell their members to not vote for the candidates with solutions, but to uphold the architects of collapse.

My friend’s spouse is a nurse. She’s not voting for change or solutions, she’s voting for union worker benefits and there is no convincing her that the current governments are leading us down paths that are ruinous for society, it’s all about whether not a party supports labour, in the eyes of the union leadership, who install a decent level of fear and suspicion in their membership as it relates to candidates of parties unions don’t support.
  • lanforod likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#1915 Nparker

Nparker
  • 42,023 posts

Posted 19 April 2024 - 08:00 AM

Unions have long outlived their usefulness. In addition to being far too politically aligned, they are as corrupt as any of the agencies they once rallied against.

#1916 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 55,553 posts

Posted 19 April 2024 - 08:01 AM

That union stuff has certainly stifled some European economies like Italy and Greece etc.

#1917 max.bravo

max.bravo
  • 2,323 posts

Posted 19 April 2024 - 08:56 AM

I don’t think we’re soon to be rid of the overwhelming pro union mentality among public servants (including nurses).

For a lot of those government-employed workers, their lives have been a direct pipeline from university (riddled with communist ideology) straight into public service.

Many have never worked in private industry, and certainly have never run their own businesses. So they’re completely without understanding of how the rest of us live.

Not to mention no understanding of how policy decisions like capital gains inclusions inside corps affect small businesses - the backbone of our economy. Talking to some of these folks who’ve only worked for a public service, they point fingers at “corporations” as the problem, without realizing that most corporations are small businesses, taking risks with their own capital, and providing value to society. The thought that unions /communism might be detrimental doesn’t even enter into their minds.

Edited by max.bravo, 19 April 2024 - 08:57 AM.

#1918 Tony

Tony
  • 604 posts

Posted 19 April 2024 - 11:00 AM

All people can not be informed or experienced on all things

.We all tends to see things through our own glasses of our experiences.

When push comes to shove we tend to support ideas or programs that will benefit ourselves.

#1919 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 85,012 posts

Posted 19 April 2024 - 11:53 AM

That’s why it’s important to do your own research and broaden your horizons. If all you do is listen to special interest groups for information, you’ll end up doing their bidding.

Nurses are paid ridiculously more in the US, in non-unionized positions, working for private hospitals. If our healthcare workers more broadly recognized how under-paid they are relative to their US counterparts there would be a revolt.

Like we’re talking major differences in pay, not $15 to $20k, but $100k or more. It’s staggering.

Know it all.

#1920 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 85,012 posts

Posted 19 April 2024 - 11:56 AM

I don’t think we’re soon to be rid of the overwhelming pro union mentality among public servants (including nurses).

For a lot of those government-employed workers, their lives have been a direct pipeline from university (riddled with communist ideology) straight into public service.

There is virtually no education in our education system on wealth creation. We have no idea, who or what makes Canada a wealthy nation. We have no concept of how important small business is to the economy and how private enterprise builds wealth for the nation.
  • Nparker, LJ, Daveyboy and 1 other like this

Know it all.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

1 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Love the rock