BUILT
The Jukebox
Uses: condo, commercial
Address: 1029 View Street
Municipality: Victoria
Region: Downtown Victoria
Storeys: 9
Condo units: (studio/bachelor, 1BR, 2BR, 1BR + den)
Sales status: sold out / resales only
The Jukebox is a nine-storey, mixed-use condominium residence along the 1000-block of View Street in downtown ... (view full profile)
Learn more about the Jukebox on Citified.ca
Photo

[Downtown Victoria] Jukebox | Condos; commercial | 9-storeys | Built - completed in 2019

Condo Commercial

• Please log in to reply
978 replies to this topic

#61 jklymak

jklymak
  • 3,514 posts

Posted 08 September 2010 - 04:50 PM

The Wave and 860 View are poor examples of city planning from so many fronts, certainly a midblock walkway is part of that.

#62 aastra

aastra
  • 20,753 posts

Posted 11 September 2010 - 02:06 PM

This building is part Jukebox, part Aria:
http://www.carolinar...-riverplace.php

The Jukebox developer should take a hint. An easy and attractive way to break up a long/monotonous facade is with a clean, glassy section.

#63 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,508 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 12 September 2010 - 08:41 PM

Can't be that hard to put a decent looking walkway in there..

http://maps.google.c...,287.27,,0,8.91

I still maintain that it is much too bulky looking, almost institutional. And the drawing of the blue PT Cruiser in front doesn't help.

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#64 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 13 September 2010 - 06:05 AM

This building is part Jukebox, part Aria:
http://www.carolinar...-riverplace.php

The Jukebox developer should take a hint. An easy and attractive way to break up a long/monotonous facade is with a clean, glassy section.

You are not serious are you? That building is the most suburban building I have seen in a while. I guess it would fit in perfectly with the crap across the street.

#65 Baro

Baro
  • 4,317 posts

Posted 13 September 2010 - 06:33 AM

yeah I'm not seeing any comparison to the size or setting. The linked building has no street interaction at all. We need to compare this design to other 0-setback wall-to-wall style buildings.
"beats greezy have baked donut-dough"

#66 aastra

aastra
  • 20,753 posts

Posted 13 September 2010 - 07:54 AM

No comparison:

picture from http://www.carolinar...-riverplace.php

picture from http://www.carolinar...-riverplace.php

#67 Ms. B. Havin

Ms. B. Havin
  • 5,052 posts

Posted 13 September 2010 - 11:17 AM

^ Oh, I see now that you were referring to floor-to-ceiling glass in the rounded components. Is that right? If so, I agree - a change to make those things glassy would make them look less like farm silos (which they do now - they look very weird right now, actually). The street presence looks a bit better, too (imo), but that's only because I think we might end up overserved with retail space (which then sits empty). The tall windows in your example could be more attractive than empty storefronts.
When you buy a game, you buy the rules. Play happens in the space between the rules.

#68 Baro

Baro
  • 4,317 posts

Posted 13 September 2010 - 12:11 PM

Ah now I see it. Not digging the site/street interaction on the other one though, very suburban. But I agree retail might not be the best for that location. Would love to see some real intimate street-embracing townhouses along there. More glass is also always good (why does victoria hate glass?)

I just noticed something, it looks like the roof outline of a second rounded tower sticking out just at the top right of the render. A round mechanical penthouse or maybe there is another cylinder going down the back?

This spot might actually be ok for a mid-block walkway, at least on paper I can see why city hall wants it. In their mind, (on paper) regent's park is a mid-block walkway since the city required the landscaping and walkway to be open to the public. With a mid block going to fort there might actually be a reason for 2-3 humans within the city limits to walk through there to perhaps get to a shop on fort street, maybe. Better than the 0 humans that would use the capital 6 walkthough.

The city has a real mid-block walkthrough agenda. In my emails with them they were adamant that mid-block walkways are critical and once their are enough of them they will be well used. I support them where they make sense, but city hall doesn't seem to be able to figure out where they make sense or not.

Pleasant Mid block lined with shops past view towers hooking up with London drugs? Great idea. Spooky dark alley only 40m in from the next street starting and ending nowhere behind capital 6? Idiotic.

#69 aastra

aastra
  • 20,753 posts

Posted 13 September 2010 - 12:17 PM

...why does victoria hate glass?

It's certainly a new thing but it seems to be part of the anti-Vancouver backlash.

#70 Baro

Baro
  • 4,317 posts

Posted 13 September 2010 - 12:22 PM

I've seen way too many glassy initial designs with 75% glass exterior come out with their facades 25% window 75% brick after city hall has gotten through with them. I'm surprised Victoria doesn't have some langford river-rock style bylaw about minimum % brick finish and maximum glass %. Curves are pretty shunned too. Curved glass makes Pam's head explode and can't even be mentioned or you will be forcefully removed from city hall and made to pay for the cleanup.

#71 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,508 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 13 September 2010 - 03:14 PM

Curved glass makes Pam's head explode and can't even be mentioned or you will be forcefully removed from city hall and made to pay for the cleanup.

I laughed out loudly at that one!

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

#72 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,508 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 13 September 2010 - 03:22 PM

I'm not sure a mid-block walkway makes sense there, but one thing I do like is the open area at St. Andrew's Square (the Investors Group building).

With View Towers just down the road, this area needs something that looks nicer than an inner-city jail. In that rendering, I see there is a large glass section just to the right of the grain elevator or whatever it is supposed to be. Opening up that area below with a couple of small eateries or whatever might be nice.

#73 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,539 posts

Posted 13 September 2010 - 04:47 PM

Are those stairs leading up to the retail on the west side of the building?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#74 Ms. B. Havin

Ms. B. Havin
  • 5,052 posts

Posted 13 September 2010 - 09:01 PM

Are those stairs leading up to the retail on the west side of the building?

Near the blue pillar thingy? You may be right: stairs! If so, kiss the possibility of viable retail good-night 'cause nothing kills viable on-street retail faster than stairs.
When you buy a game, you buy the rules. Play happens in the space between the rules.

#75 aastra

aastra
  • 20,753 posts

Posted 13 September 2010 - 09:24 PM

I just want to give myself a point for mentioning the stairs on the previous page:

...what's with those little flights of stairs?

#76 2F2R

2F2R
  • 675 posts

Posted 14 September 2010 - 01:34 PM

>>>Curved glass makes Pam's head explode<<<

>>>I see there is a large glass section just to the right of the grain elevator or whatever it is supposed to be<<<

Or whatever it is supposed to be ... yuk yuk yuk and LOL !!!

#77 groceryalerts

groceryalerts

groceryalerts

• 31 posts

Posted 14 September 2010 - 02:44 PM

I love the whole idea behind Harris Green but it doesn't seem to work with these developers.

Lets get some green space back like the units across the street.

#78 D.L.

D.L.
  • 7,786 posts

Posted 14 September 2010 - 02:56 PM

Are you kidding? Towers in the park like that don't belong downtown.

#79 Baro

Baro
  • 4,317 posts

Posted 14 September 2010 - 06:26 PM

Yeah, we need more zero-setback buildings and less suburban garbage like regent's park. Green space belongs on the roof not on the street level in an urban setting.

#80 jklymak

jklymak
  • 3,514 posts

Posted 14 September 2010 - 07:37 PM

Has anyone, ever, seen anyone on the grounds of regents park? There are all these lawns and gardens and benches, but rarely anyone enjoying them. Ditto for the humboldt open space. I'm all for spacing towers out, but keep the lower floors vibrant.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users