BUILT
The Jukebox
Uses: condo, commercial
Address: 1029 View Street
Municipality: Victoria
Region: Downtown Victoria
Storeys: 9
Condo units: (studio/bachelor, 1BR, 2BR, 1BR + den)
Sales status: sold out / resales only
The Jukebox is a nine-storey, mixed-use condominium residence along the 1000-block of View Street in downtown ... (view full profile)
Learn more about the Jukebox on Citified.ca
Photo

[Downtown Victoria] Jukebox | Condos; commercial | 9-storeys | Built - completed in 2019

Condo Commercial

• Please log in to reply
978 replies to this topic

#101 Islander888

Islander888
  • 22 posts

Posted 17 September 2010 - 04:44 PM

I think this was superceded? Page 39, item 5 of the Harris Green Charrette amended to read No parking required?
http://www.victoria....npub_hrrsgr.pdf

#102 concorde

concorde
  • Banned
  • 1,980 posts

Posted 17 September 2010 - 06:44 PM

There is parking on this project.

#103 Islander888

Islander888
  • 22 posts

Posted 17 September 2010 - 09:37 PM

Correct, there are presently 87 parking stalls which will be offered for sale, but that is likely to be reduced as final details such as emergency generator location have yet to be finalized. The comments were in reference to the fact that the developer is not 'required' to build parking into the projects design under the Harris Green Charrette.

#104 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 30 September 2010 - 09:49 AM

Campbell Construction has a trailer/office on the western edge of the site; I suppose construction will start once a development permit is granted?

#105 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 20 October 2010 - 10:33 AM

Fencing has been placed around the entire perimeter of the property... does anyone know when construction will start?

#106 citycitizen

citycitizen
  • 5 posts

Posted 27 October 2010 - 08:25 AM

Does anyone else think this proposal doesn't look anything like a jukebox? Also I haven't heard many comments about the overall size of the development (one long building). I think having the glass wall at the front works to break up the massing, but given the single and double storey buildings on Fort, this may look like a cruise ship is parked behind Egoyan's Tudor? I also haven't seen any comments about the music note decorations adorning the blank walls of the development (to make them more interesting). They look pretty kitsch to me..

This proposal is going to advisory design panel meeting today....

#107 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 27 October 2010 - 08:55 AM

I will report on this later today. I hope they look at how the building looks from the Fort St. side as well. The walkway will be discussed too, I bet. The City still wants one, Egoyan reportedly refuses it.

#108 aastra

aastra
  • 20,757 posts

Posted 27 October 2010 - 09:07 AM

I don't understand the walkway thing at all, unless the city is assuming the buildings along Fort will be demolished before too long.

#109 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 27 October 2010 - 09:26 AM

I think that given time hopefully some of the Fort Street side will be developed up, so this should only be a consideration not a decision point.

#110 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 27 October 2010 - 09:30 AM

I don't understand the walkway thing at all, unless the city is assuming the buildings along Fort will be demolished before too long.

Maybe that would explain why the carpet at Da Tandoor hasn't been steam-cleaned since the Paleolithic Age? ;)

I assume that the development permit will be issued even if Egoyan refuses to budge...

#111 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,508 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 27 October 2010 - 09:54 AM

Every time I see this thread come up in the "New Posts" list I can't help but think of this:

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=Z5_qhnWByA4

:P

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#112 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 27 October 2010 - 08:12 PM

If only it played when the thread opened:)

#113 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 28 October 2010 - 08:13 AM

I wonder if the developer will name floorplans after hit songs of the Jukebox era, i.e. the "Mr. Tambourine Man" suite or the "California Dreaming" loft. :cool:

I suppose a real, working Jukebox would be welcomed in the building's lounge area (if a lounge area is planned for the structure).

#114 citycitizen

citycitizen
  • 5 posts

Posted 07 December 2010 - 12:36 PM

I think this proposal is now past the design panel...No walkway but curtain wall out back..

#115 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 08 December 2010 - 12:12 AM

It was tabled by the last design panel. I did like the one comment that was made: "Let Jan loose". The panelist acknowledged the part Jan Zak played in creating the Jukebox design but noted it lacked the impact of his other buildings like the Mosaic and Jigsaw. Of course, the Jukebox is a collaboration since Zak is no longer licensed as a BC architect and this comment was designed to let us know that the present design seems weak and watered down. That's my interpretation, anyway.

I don't know if it will reappear at Design Panel or if the proponents will take their chances before Council with the ADP's tabling motion. It's not mandatory to get a yes vote from ADP before going to the Development Permit stage.

#116 citycitizen

citycitizen
  • 5 posts

Posted 08 December 2010 - 02:00 PM

It actually went back to the ADP for a second reading, with a number of amendments and was approved with conditions. What happened to Jan Zak's Arch Licence?

#117 Baro

Baro
  • 4,317 posts

Posted 08 December 2010 - 02:07 PM

I'm not sure about his situation, but I know a few architects who chose to not pay their fee for a year or so in order to offer better prices to clients. Unless you're doing a large building there's no actual need for an architect, a "building designer" is enough. By not being licensed you can offer much lower prices (Architects are like a medieval guild and force minimum rates) and generally more flexibility. Times are pretty tough for architects and a lot just can't get business charging what the BC association mandates.
"beats greezy have baked donut-dough"

#118 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,558 posts

Posted 14 December 2010 - 02:02 PM

Jan Zak resides in Mexico for much of the year if not year-round. Perhaps he doesn't need the license if another architect can sign off on his work.

And let's not forget The Reef as one Zak's better designs.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#119 Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

• 2,235 posts

Posted 14 December 2010 - 03:02 PM

The Reef as one Zak's better designs.

In fact definitely in the top two or three newer buildings in Victoria.

#120 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 11 January 2011 - 12:48 PM

According to the agenda for Thursday's Planning & Land Use Committee meeting the planning department is recommending that a development permit *not* be issued for this project...

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users