Photo

Maritime Museum of BC

• Please log in to reply
378 replies to this topic

#101 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,750 posts

Posted 20 June 2015 - 08:30 PM

We've lost four tourist attractions in a short period of time The Wax Museum, Undersea Gardens, Crystal Gardens and now the future of the the Maritime Museum is not clear.

I shed not a single tear for the demise of 75% of those.

• AllseeingEye likes this

#102 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 20 June 2015 - 10:13 PM

Right, If a business is not viable it needs to go, as we have enough REAL charities asking for money.

#103 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 20 June 2015 - 10:28 PM

Right, If a business is not viable it needs to go, as we have enough REAL charities asking for money.

Is the Maritime Museum not viable? Was under the impression it was at least breaking even, until it was forced to close.

Edited by todd, 20 June 2015 - 10:29 PM.

#104 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 20 June 2015 - 10:33 PM

was the 25% of tears for the wax museums torture chamber? or for the octopus in undersea gardens?

Edited by todd, 20 June 2015 - 10:47 PM.

#105 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 24 June 2015 - 10:07 AM

http://www.timescolo...-move-1.1977670

Maritime Museum says it has no money for move

Trustees for the Maritime Museum of B.C. say there’s no way they can meet the province’s deadline to vacate the old courthouse in Bastion Square by Sept. 30.

The B.C. government announced this month that it wants the museum and all its artifacts and displays out of the 126-year-old building to allow for repairs.

But Clay Evans, who chairs the museum board, said they have neither the people nor the money to get the job done.

“It’s impossible,” he said. “There’s just too much to do and they’ve given us no funding for the physical move.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#106 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 25 June 2015 - 06:25 AM

http://www.timescolo...clout-1.1978970

Les Leyne: Museum needs a champion with clout

If the Maritime Museum of B.C. were still open, it could mount a compelling exhibit of its own financial crises.

Like many not-for-profit outfits, the institution has been living hand-to-mouth for the better part of its 60 years. That hasn’t stopped it from dreaming big. But most of the dreams have been dashed over the years.

The latest vision that looks to be going under is the move to the CPR Steamship Terminal. To most, that looks like a no-brainer — move out of the cramped, land-locked hideaway downtown to a featured touristy location on the water. A maritime museum on the waterfront. Imagine!

- See more at: http://www.timescolo...h.OWjzTER1.dpuf

• Mr Cook Street likes this
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#107 Greg

Greg
  • 3,362 posts

Posted 25 June 2015 - 08:54 AM

“It’s impossible,” he said. “There’s just too much to do and they’ve given us no funding for the physical move."

How were they planning to relocate to the Steamship Terminal then?

#108 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 25 June 2015 - 09:08 AM

“It’s impossible,” he said. “There’s just too much to do and they’ve given us no funding for the physical move."

How were they planning to relocate to the Steamship Terminal then?

I think they had hoped for more money from the Province.  Like Les Leyne says, their problem is no high-profile person on their board etc.

#109 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,750 posts

Posted 07 July 2015 - 06:02 PM

The Maritime Museum of BC has found a home in Nootka Court, located at 634 Humboldt St. The new location will have a Society Office and small exhibition space. The Museum took possession of the 3600-square foot space on July 1, and will be making it ready for the public in the coming weeks. The projected opening date is early August 2015.

http://www.victoriab...n-nootka-court/

• sebberry and todd like this

#110 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,552 posts

Posted 07 July 2015 - 06:05 PM

Nootka Court?

...Nootka Court?

• sebberry and weirdie like this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#111 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,750 posts

Posted 07 July 2015 - 06:39 PM

Nootka Court? ...Nootka Court?

The one & only.

#112 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,603 posts

Posted 07 July 2015 - 06:52 PM

Good location but that doesn't seem like much space; wasn't Bastion Square something like ~ 6000 s/f and considered barely adequate to display their collection? Or was the aborted proposed space in the renovated harbour-side terminal 6K? Can't recall, either way I wonder if Nootka Court will allow them to store those artifacts they can't display onsite, or will they have to store them at a separate location?

#113 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,750 posts

Posted 07 July 2015 - 07:16 PM

I think Nootka Court is meant only as a store front location for the Museum to keep the administration going and as a space for some highlights of the collection for public viewing. I assume it is still hoped that a permanent location to display the majority of the artifacts will be found at some point.

• Mike K. and tedward like this

#114 LJ

LJ
  • 12,741 posts

Posted 07 July 2015 - 07:21 PM

Good location but that doesn't seem like much space; wasn't Bastion Square something like ~ 6000 s/f and considered barely adequate to display their collection? Or was the aborted proposed space in the renovated harbour-side terminal 6K? Can't recall, either way I wonder if Nootka Court will allow them to store those artifacts they can't display onsite, or will they have to store them at a separate location?

Yeah they had over 18,000 s/f at Bastion Square.

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#115 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 07 July 2015 - 07:22 PM

The one & only.

Should be able to get a couple of row boats in there.

#116 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,750 posts

Posted 21 August 2015 - 07:47 AM

Some hope for the Maritime Museum: http://www.timescolo...rings-1.2037276

#117 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 21 August 2015 - 07:49 AM

That's an odd set of stipulations.  But it does sound kind of promising.

#118 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 21 August 2015 - 07:49 AM

Slim at best.

#119 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,014 posts

Posted 21 August 2015 - 08:01 AM

That's an odd set of stipulations.  But it does sound kind of promising.

Why would the donor care that the museum be located in that specific building? There is clearly more to this story. I wonder is this is a face saving backroom deal that the Province cut.

#120 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 21 August 2015 - 08:27 AM

Why would the donor care that the museum be located in that specific building? There is clearly more to this story. I wonder is this is a face saving backroom deal that the Province cut.

I guess there is a chance that when they applied they were still negotiating on the Terminal, so when the approval came back, of course it has stipulations to make sure the cash is used as awarded.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users