Suburban sprawl in the CRD

• Please log in to reply
91 replies to this topic

#61 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,566 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 03:44 PM

I've put in a request with the CVRD. I hope someone responds by early next week.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#62 LJ

LJ
  • 12,746 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 07:09 PM

I suspect that somebody logged it for the timber value and will be building some commercial building there. A gas station and perhaps small grocery and coffee shop would probably work there.

People inbound home coming from up island pick up some slightly cheaper gas and quart of milk on their way back from a weekend of skiing.
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#63 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,806 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 07:55 PM

^ Gas is usually more on the malahat than in vic or Mill Bay

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#64 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 11:20 PM

That area that was logged is private timberland owned by Timberwest.
Nothing to do with CRD

This map may help you see that

They own a lot of the E&N Land Grant shown as white in this image.
The land Grant which was originally granted to Robert Dunsmuir gave full rights to Timber, Minerals, Fish and water from Otter Point in the south to latitude 50 in the north and all points east of this line.
The Grant was given in exchange for Mr Dunsmuir to build the railroad on the Island.

When you look at a map of Strathcona park one will see that the eastern border of the park looks like a triangle this is because the park straddles the land grant in that area.

Many portions of the land grant have been sold off and that is why it looks the way it does today. There are many little pieces all over the island including a few spots on the Malahat and Spectacle Lake area.

When ever you see a red gate the land behind that gate is owned by Timber west. There is another one near Bamberton on that portion of the Malahat on the west side of the highway.

the gates have Codes on them and a number. On the Malahat that code is SJ ( for San Juan Division) and a 3 digit Number ie SJ101

Hope that clears it up for everyone. Also there is a small cut block directly north of the recent cut that was replanted about 15 years ago if you look you can see the new trees

#65 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,566 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 08:20 AM

Thanks for providing the details, History Buff! :)

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#66 LJ

LJ
  • 12,746 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 08:26 PM

^ Gas is usually more on the malahat than in vic or Mill Bay

Not in my experience. The Petro-Can south of Shawnigan Lake turnoff was always a few cents cheaper than in town, unless there was a gas war going on.
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#67 Coreyburger

Coreyburger
  • 2,864 posts

Posted 03 August 2016 - 09:57 PM

Major highway project induces more sprawl. Lovely.

Edited by sebberry, 04 August 2016 - 09:59 AM.
Posts 68-73 moved from the highway development thread

• Mr Cook Street likes this

#68 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,510 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 03 August 2016 - 10:44 PM

Here it seems to be the other way around. Housing is already built where it can be built and now we're finally catching up to the region's transportation needs.

Fine, you're opposed to sprawl. Where do you propose all the Bear Mountain, Westhills and Royal Bay homes should have been built?

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#69 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 04 August 2016 - 03:57 AM

So do the politicians at COV and Saanich.... Pity some folks don't see that and keep voting them back in.... Just saying....
  • AllseeingEye likes this

#70 Coreyburger

Coreyburger
  • 2,864 posts

Posted 04 August 2016 - 09:35 AM

Fine, you're opposed to sprawl. Where do you propose all the Bear Mountain, Westhills and Royal Bay homes should have been built?

Saanich and the rest of the Core through rezoning to allow duplexes and other ground-oriented housing types in all areas. People are moving to Langford looking for an affordable home with their own front door. Ground-oriented row houses, etc can provide that.

• Mr Cook Street likes this

#71 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,510 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 04 August 2016 - 09:54 AM

ASE working with a CCTV company. How fitting :)

Corey, sorry, but people want a house and a yard free from strata nightmares and at least a little separation from their neighbours. You need to realize that we've run out of space in the core for the lifestyle people want. Then of course you have the issue of price - rowhouse with shared common walls for not much less than a house with a yard and garage (and possibly a carrige house overtop) for not much more.

It's a strange bit of irony that the GMO, lactose and gluten free councils that the local residents vote in to build them bike lanes and lower speed limits for the sake of urban livability couldn't give two hoots about the sort of housing you're proposing would solve urban sprawl.
  • Mike K. and AllseeingEye like this

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#72 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,348 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 04 August 2016 - 09:54 AM

^^ so essentially, you're saying don't build SFH, change to MFH.

I'm curious as to what type of housing you live in, and if you understand why people prefer SFH.

Edited by lanforod, 04 August 2016 - 09:54 AM.

#73 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,614 posts

Posted 04 August 2016 - 10:03 AM

Of course another option is that Victorian's can stop wetting themselves any time a proposed rental or condo building more than 4 stories is put forth, so the region can densify. No good reason at all that Saanich can't go up to 12-15 stories and the CoV 25++ in designated areas.

Personally I think Hillside missed the boat: when they renovated that mall it would have been great IMO to see some 6-8 storey housing structures included perhaps on the North Dairy side of the site. Ditto for Mayfair although I know that proposal does not include a housing component. Maybe it should. Malls elsewhere - notably in Vancouver and other large cities - routinely incorporate a residential piece (Metrotown, Oakridge) etc. Why can't we?

• Nparker likes this

#74 aastra

aastra
  • 20,763 posts

Posted 04 August 2016 - 10:25 AM

I think Hillside missed the boat: when they renovated that mall it would have been great IMO to see some 6-8 storey housing structures included perhaps on the North Dairy side of the site.

I think it will happen eventually but I agree that it seems a bit odd that it hasn't happened already, especially at Hillside with its neighbourhood locale and the vast swaths of surface parking that it used to have. Maybe not so surprising with Mayfair, because of the character of the area and the confines of the site.

We should note that Victoria actually did bundle apartments with some smaller/older malls (Harbour Square and James Bay Square). But the more suburban/car-centric malls didn't bite for whatever reason. And yet Tillicum floated that residential proposal on the back side not too long ago. Victoria can't make up its mind.

#75 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,614 posts

Posted 04 August 2016 - 10:41 AM

I think it will happen eventually but I agree that it seems a bit odd that it hasn't happened already, especially at Hillside with its neighbourhood locale and the vast swaths of surface parking that it used to have. Maybe not so surprising with Mayfair, because of the character of the area and the confines of the site.

We should note that Victoria actually did bundle apartments with some smaller/older malls (Harbour Square and James Bay Square). But the more suburban/car-centric malls didn't bite for whatever reason. And yet Tillicum floated that residential proposal on the back side not too long ago. Victoria can't make up its mind.

Yes whatever happened with this one....VHF, Mike?

#76 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,566 posts

Posted 04 August 2016 - 11:55 AM

Still kicking, but on the back-burner for some reason.

Just as an aside, Uptown will have a residential component (finally) and Sobey's new shopping centre on Jacklin will have a pretty large residential component, as will the revived Colwood Corners development.

Know it all.

#77 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,504 posts

Posted 04 August 2016 - 12:06 PM

The residential combo with malls could work. They just need more pedestrian space. Been to Tuscany Village a number of times now and they spent a fortune on the underground parking. It's never more than 10% full tops. It's crazy. It would be a great space for the retailers and residents if they converted half or more of the cramped and chaotic parking lot on the surface. Put it a kids playground and boom, it's family friendly multi unit living.... Instead it's a clusterfluck with a huge waiste of concrete.... Be a great spot for drone racing....

• Mr Cook Street, lanforod and thundergun like this

#78 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,566 posts

Posted 04 August 2016 - 12:11 PM

Hmm, drone racing, hey?

Back in the early 00's there were plans shown of integrated residential spaces abutting Hillside Avenue along the shopping centre's southern frontage. Those plans are likely components of a future phase.

• Nparker likes this

Know it all.

#79 Coreyburger

Coreyburger
  • 2,864 posts

Posted 04 August 2016 - 01:33 PM

^^ so essentially, you're saying don't build SFH, change to MFH.

I'm curious as to what type of housing you live in, and if you understand why people prefer SFH.

I live in a basement suite because I want some outside space. Ground-oriented offers me that.

As for strata - you can build fee-simple row housing.

#80 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,566 posts

Posted 04 August 2016 - 01:44 PM

Ok, so you understand first hand how important outside space can be for people, and why there is such high demand for single family dwellings.

Know it all.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users