[Downtown Victoria] The Mozart condo & office | 39.5m | 12-storeys | Canceled

• Please log in to reply
67 replies to this topic

#21 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 18 September 2007 - 05:30 PM

Is it? It has that Island hearing centre in it but I am not sure if it is a heritage building.

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#22 Galvanized

Galvanized
  • 1,196 posts

Posted 18 September 2007 - 06:15 PM

It used to be an old hotel before they wrecked the front of it.
Past President of Victoria's Flâneur Union Local 1862

#23 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,774 posts

Posted 19 September 2007 - 09:05 PM

Despite its blank East wall, I really liked this proposal. I wonder if a new developer might revive it?

#24 Ms. B. Havin

Ms. B. Havin
  • 5,052 posts

Posted 21 September 2007 - 10:13 PM

Upon seeing the good rendering, I'm more than a bit flummoxed by the enormous setback on the left side of the facade. What the heck was that all about? Vehicle entrance?

There would have been a 7-story blank wall on the east side. Just in case the Royal Theatre and St. Vincent de Paul weren't blank walls enough for you.

Good question re. the East elevation... The proposal suggests a building that goes back a long way (deeper than wide), so it's almost as if the Island Hearing/ Old English Sweet Shop building meets the Mozart part way, and the back portion is blank wall further up because ...?the site behind the Sweet Shop might get developed?? I don't know, it's pretty weird.

As for the big setback on the left (West) side of the facade: that's where there used to be a passageway, no? I seem to recall that shops went back along there...? So maybe the idea is to recreate another mid-block passage?

It's incredible that nothing is happening on this site... :(

Oh, PS: I thought this came up in another thread, but I can't find it, so I'll mention it here: the alley further East will officially be known as Millie's Lane in honour of the store owner who died not too long ago: [url=http://www.canada.com/victoriatimescolonist/news/capital_van_isl/story.html?id=d8a35b61-785f-42f4-b808-9ffee49b3b63:c3fce]Alley off Yates Street is now Millie's Lane[/url:c3fce].
When you buy a game, you buy the rules. Play happens in the space between the rules.

#25 Caramia

Caramia
  • 3,835 posts

Posted 25 September 2007 - 11:01 AM

That's better than the name it was known as while I was growing up - Piss Alley.

I love stuff like this - when people get together to name their streets, alleys, intersections. Christopher Alexander has a blurb on the psychological importance of community naming, and how it adds to that sense of home and encourages people to feel they have a stake in their enviroment. Good for City Council for going along with it.
Nowadays most people die of a sort of creeping common sense, and discover when it is too late that the only things one never regrets are one's mistakes.
Oscar Wilde (1854 - 1900), The Picture of Dorian Gray, 1891

#26 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 25 September 2007 - 02:15 PM

That's better than the name it was known as while I was growing up - Piss Alley.

I love stuff like this - when people get together to name their streets, alleys, intersections. Christopher Alexander has a blurb on the psychological importance of community naming, and how it adds to that sense of home and encourages people to feel they have a stake in their enviroment. Good for City Council for going along with it.

The Odeon opposed the name change, I presume because it was often referred to as "Odeon Alley"
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#27 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,560 posts

Posted 05 November 2007 - 04:45 PM

A crew was testing soil today.

Something's up...

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#28 zoomer

zoomer
  • 2,144 posts
  • LocationVictoria - Downtown

Posted 05 November 2007 - 06:33 PM

:? ......... :o .......... :)

#29 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 05 November 2007 - 06:40 PM

Must be someone interested in buying it. Good, because the site could use tidying up.

"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#30 aastra

aastra
  • 20,763 posts

Posted 05 November 2007 - 07:05 PM

You almost fooled me with that pic. Then I took a closer look and realized the water was much too shallow to be the Mozart site.

#31 D.L.

D.L.
  • 7,786 posts

Posted 05 November 2007 - 08:27 PM

if that's what the site looks like now it should be preserved as an ecological reserve

#32 aastra

aastra
  • 20,763 posts

Posted 06 November 2007 - 09:44 AM

As long as they put up some warning signs about the caimans. Reptiles get bigger as they get older so they must be plenty big by now.

#33 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 06 November 2007 - 10:21 AM

I think I saw something on the Discovery Channel that said diet plays a major role in the size of caimans. The Mozart ecosystem probably doesn't have the big prey that a larger preserve has, so I doubt the caimans are much larger than a couple of feet. However, I'm sure they're hungry, so if I were homeless I wouldn't be camping there.

#34 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 06 November 2007 - 07:49 PM

I am too lazy to get the photo right now but on a trip to Mexico in 2005 my wife and I walked by an abandoned hotel and the empty pool in the rear of the place had a crocodile living in it.

#35 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,560 posts

Posted 26 February 2008 - 04:16 PM

There was a fellow in a hard hat walking around the site yesterday.

Has the property recently switched hands or something?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#36 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 26 February 2008 - 05:46 PM

The current issue of Focus Magazine has Charman saying remediation will be complete June 1 "and progress should follow soon after".

Here's a shot taken Friday:

"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."

#37 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 26 February 2008 - 07:16 PM

"Don't you even think about taking that cart!"

#38 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 26 February 2008 - 07:26 PM

^F***ing awesome!

#39 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,774 posts

Posted 26 February 2008 - 07:42 PM

So, bottom line - is this project being revived? The current real estate market suggests to me that the timing is not right - even though I would love to see this one go ahead.

#40 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,560 posts

Posted 26 February 2008 - 08:01 PM

Haha, gum. Good work.

Well, considering a good portion of the project is office, that might make the project worthwhile given the recent escalation of class A lease rates ($30+ per foot). When the project fumbled in 2006 the rates were either in the high teens or the low twenties.

Know it all.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users